ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

I love the Devils.
I love hockey.

But I'm REALLY starting to hate the NHL.

hello there, nice to have you on board.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#11002 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Well if they just let it slide, the NHL will look pretty impotent.

If they reject it then they'll have to figure out how to take action against the contracts they let slide but put under investigation. I fear that's what they're toying with now.

I expect the contract will coast through. It seems only logical.

I would laugh derisively if we had a block-buster rejection of all contracts - this one and those under investigation. Then an arbitration for all with a possible court fight from those who slipped under the cracks. The Devils contract will be rejected outright and lou will be made the example - THAT is clear. Most likely the others will still stand on the technicality that silence is compliance - per the CBA they did not adhere to the proper time table in rejecting the contracts. Justified by small minds as a split decision - but very possibly all out war with players GMs and owners ALL against the NHL in the upcoming CBA negotiations. It's a calculated risk for Bettman and Co. Will the majority of owners stand behind him? Does the league hate the Devils as much as we all seem to feel or is it just this creepy Philly/Newark/NYC triangle media market making us feel that way?

It would be HUGE for Bettman to make a GIGANTIC example out of Lou Lamoriello. It's like casting a vote against the spirit of hockey and I can't see anyone who loves the game standing by a man who would do such a thing. Lou has said "This is hockey and we answer to a higher law" in the past with regards to the purse strings. Lou has gone out of his way to be as ethical and accommodating as possible with the NHL in this admittedly touchy situation. If you tell a guy like that that he's lacking integrity and doesn't understand what's good for hockey -- It would give everyone pause and everyone would look to Lou. and Lou -- he'll find the way to put the word out. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Bettman will hang.... but probably really doesnt' give a sh!t - he has ZERO ;egacy in hockey anyhow so why not just be an a$$hole for the fun of it -- just to not look so flaccid in the moment.

What Lou is proving is that the CBA as is isn't working- hockey isn't working under this. Not for anyone - because consistency has NOT come to pass and is CLEARLY not eminent. If it was going to work it would have by now. It's all seat of the pants and SOMETHING that breeds consistency MUST be put into play - otherwise it's killing the sport - killing loyalty for fans and teams and players. BettmanDaly can't do a BushCheney and steadfastly stick to EPIC FAIL.

hey good post! usually i need a bong hit and several hours of deep thought to decipher your insight...:D (jk)

i agree bettman screwing over lou would make him the ultimate puppy fvcker...
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#11003 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,934 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

I love the Devils.
I love hockey.

But I'm REALLY starting to hate the NHL.

the NHL's been put in a real difficult position and you can see why they didn't reject the hossa or luongo deal. while i actually plan on joining the bettman haters if this contract is rejected, it's hard for them to act. this contract will be on the book until 2025 - this deal runs through at least 2 collective bargaining sessions, and possibly even 3. the more of these contracts the league allows, the more teams are going to fight to keep the rules the way they are, and the more inertia for the league to overcome during CBA negotiations. if the league wants to get rid of front-loaded contracts, it may have a difficult time when half the teams in the league have one by 2012. alternately, the more the league fights against them, the more the league risks losing the good will of the teams at the top of the revenues column - the teams currently funding the revenue sharing madness going on in the league right now.

my guess is that the league will never approve this contract. i also think it will never reject this contract.

Edited by Triumph, 31 August 2010 - 05:07 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#11004 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

hey good post! usually i need a bong hit and several hours of deep thought to decipher your insight...:D (jk)

Pepper said Flaccid I think that fits Bettman to a T....
REVOLUTION.... NOW

#11005 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

the NHL's been put in a real difficult position and you can see why they didn't reject the hossa or luongo deal. while i actually plan on joining the bettman haters if this contract is rejected, it's hard for them to act. this contract will be on the book until 2025 - this deal runs through at least 2 collective bargaining sessions, and possibly even 3. the more of these contracts the league allows, the more teams are going to fight to keep the rules the way they are, and the more inertia for the league to overcome during CBA negotiations. if the league wants to get rid of front-loaded contracts, it may have a difficult time when half the teams in the league have one by 2012. alternately, the more the league fights against them, the more the league risks losing the good will of the teams at the top of the revenues column - the teams currently funding the revenue sharing madness going on in the league right now.

my guess is that the league will never approve this contract. i also think it will never reject this contract.

until the 2012 lockout comes and they talk about how the teams abused the cba and use these 'open investigations' as evidence.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#11006 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,928 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

It was a brilliant post PK, until you did the Bush/Cheney comparo

it is hard to imagine Betman is looking to wage the BIG war 2 years early...cause if they do as you suggest they may, it will be a very ugly hockey season
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#11007 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,934 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

PK: if they let it slide, they still have the hammer. if they reject and lose, they lose the hammer. if they actively approve it, they lose the hammer.

Edited by Triumph, 31 August 2010 - 05:17 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#11008 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,928 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

TG asked Lou if there was any new news and the response was predictably, "Status Quo"

http://twitter.com/T...tus/22653375998
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#11009 CADevilsFan

CADevilsFan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

TG asked Lou if there was any new news and the response was predictably, "Status Quo"

http://twitter.com/T...tus/22653375998

Curse that Cryptic man!
Posted Image of MrTheMikes Curse and/or Magic & of the Chat Room Drinking Game

#11010 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Stop being rational and get ANGRY!!!! Join the fun

#11011 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

Sooooo.... You think they will just not approve or deny the contract and let it stand by default tomorrow at 5?
Posted Image

#11012 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

Sooooo.... You think they will just not approve or deny the contract and let it stand by default tomorrow at 5?

the only quo of the status is that it's status quo.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#11013 brickwall30

brickwall30

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

hahaha thats exactly what I was thinking! this post is gold and PK should put it in her sig so new people know how to figure out where the nuggets of gold are in those posts of hers

#11014 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

Curse that Cryptic man!

Status Quo is an anagram I think. Re-arrange the letters a bit and you get....

Bettman is a monkey fvcking a$$hole.

#11015 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

Maybe he just likes Status Quo, the band?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#11016 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

Status Quo is an anagram I think. Re-arrange the letters a bit and you get....

Bettman is a monkey fvcking a$$hole.

Are you implying that Crosby looks like a monkey?

n2eg.jpg

#11017 CADevilsFan

CADevilsFan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

I always thought that was Malkin...
Posted Image of MrTheMikes Curse and/or Magic & of the Chat Room Drinking Game

#11018 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

Page 555. 555 is 83% of 666, the Number of the Beast. Number of the Beast was Iron Maiden's 3rd studio album. 83% of 3 is 2.49. 2*4+9=17.

IT'S OBVIOUSLY A SIGN!
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#11019 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

Bettman looks like a pen!$ with a hat on.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#11020 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

# TGfireandice

Also told that NHL will not let deadline pass tomorrow without communicating its decision. If it did, the contract would be deemed approved. 3 minutes ago via web

# Tom Gulitti TGfireandice

The latest is thatas of 7:30 p.m., no decision had been rendered by the NHL on Kovalchuk contract yet. Which means no news.

Edited by moustic, 31 August 2010 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users