#11661 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

I think they get killed in their sleep if they say otherwise

But I want to know where they get their material from. It's possible Putin is a comedic genius.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#11662 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

But I want to know where they get their material from. It's possible Putin is a comedic genius.

In Soviet Russia, Party finds you :blahblah:

#11663 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

Man this Kovalchuk thing makes me want to take off for a desert island, paint my face in Devils colors and strap dynamite to myself ala Jean Paul Belmondo in Pierrot Le Fou. Boom! Obscure film reference!

Edited by CarpathianForest, 02 September 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#11664 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Jean Paul !
(Croissant)

And i just wanna see HOCKEY
(btw... )

#11665 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

Darren Dreger twitter

@NJDevils26 Kovalchuk's contract was rejected and the follow up is why I'm following this story.

Not sure if he means this one or the old one

Wait nevermind, a member on TG's fire and ice blog said this was in response to a comment about the old contract

Edited by Prucenterrules, 02 September 2010 - 03:17 PM.

Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#11666 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

NYP_Brooksie Told that averaging highest consec 5 yrs of longterm deal as cap hit is not part of talks. Restrictions would apply to deals past 35,40 only

This is actually really good news. I couldn't imagine the PA accepting the averaging of highest cosecutive 5 years. I can see them accepting the 40+ rule.

#11667 RSwizzle

RSwizzle

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

good article

NHL Taking Out Its Frustrations On Ilya Kovalchuk and The Fans

The two men who are helping to cause pain for the NHLPA, some NHL teams, agents, players and most importantly, the fans.

Late last week, it became clear that the New Jersey Devils and Ilya Kovalchuk had once again comeā€¦>>

#11668 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

NYP_Brooksie Told that averaging highest consec 5 yrs of longterm deal as cap hit is not part of talks. Restrictions would apply to deals past 35,40 only

This is actually really good news. I couldn't imagine the PA accepting the averaging of highest cosecutive 5 years. I can see them accepting the 40+ rule.

The PA ain't taking that. That would make all cap hits on long term deals ridiculous.

I could imagine the PA accepting the average of the highest five consecutive years on 7-10 year contracts and the average of the highest 8 consecutive years on 11+ year contracts.

#11669 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,057 posts

i interpret this differently. i interpret it as yes, the highest 5 years will be the salary cap hit, but only for deals that extend past 35 (or 40). so if for some reason an age 22 player coming off an entry level deal signed an 8 year contract, this rule would not apply to his contract.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#11670 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

this is how i feel right now ever since the summer. :headless chicken: :yucky: :wacko:

if i don't get good news on friday, it might be time for a room with cushions on the wall

Edited by grcenter47, 02 September 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#11671 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

I remembered when we played floor hockey in my PE class one day. I checked a kid and he hit the floor, got up and snatched my stick from me.

In high school gym class we were allowed to bring our own sticks and skates, it was awesome. But then one day my friend hit the teacher square in the face with the ball while trying to dump it and we never got to play hockey again. They set it up so they split the class into three different sports and you got to pick which sport you wanted to do for that two-month or so span. When hockey wasn't available I always went for volleyball and softball, that was a lot of fun. One time the choices were fitness walking, conditioning, and basketball. Luckily that was the session I had health class instead.

Gym in middle school sucked, it was 42 minutes long and most of the time was spent running around the track. The rest of the time we played basketball. When you subtract the time they gave us to get changed before and after, and stretch, I have no idea how we managed to have any fun at all.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#11672 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

hahha yea... we pretty much had 15 minutes of actual fun.... the rest of the time consisted of getting changed, stretching, attendance, instruction, and getting dressed :rant:

#11673 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

i interpret this differently. i interpret it as yes, the highest 5 years will be the salary cap hit, but only for deals that extend past 35 (or 40). so if for some reason an age 22 player coming off an entry level deal signed an 8 year contract, this rule would not apply to his contract.

Hmm yea it could be read that way also... Interesting. Although he says it's "not part of talks". It seems to imply it's not part of the discussions at all...

The PA ain't taking that. That would make all cap hits on long term deals ridiculous.

If it's 40+, then not really. Regardless, it looks like the NHL is done accepting long term deals past 40 anyways, whether the PA likes it or not.

Edited by Amberite, 02 September 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#11674 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,057 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hmm yea it could be read that way also... Interesting. Although he says it's "not part of talks". It seems to imply it's not part of the discussions at all...

yeah i think your interpretation is more likely. stupid twitter. so i guess the idea would be that cap years post 40 don't count towards cap average, and probably that multi-year contracts signed before a certain age (i would think 30) count as 35+ contracts. or something like that.

If it's 40+, then not really. Regardless, it looks like the NHL is done accepting long term deals past 40 anyways, whether the PA likes it or not.

well, no, they would definitely accept a kovalchuk contract that paid out 6.67 every year for 15 years.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#11675 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

If we're talking the 40+ rule being included as was the rumor yesterday then, like I said yesterday:

Why would the PA reject this? This makes the unofficial rules official. It's completely fair what the league is asking for. The new rules will stop all these investigations and rejections in/of future contracts. The PA isn't losing much here - the rules only apply to players who's contracts go past 40 and are longer than 5 years. How many contracts are there that take players into their 40's in the NHL anyway? How many 5+ year deals does each team have? I'd say all these rules will do is take about 1-2 million dollars in cap room from all teams and prevent future rejected contracts and subsequent arbitrations.

What the PA is going to get is less contract rejections and contract scrutiny as long as a contract follows the new rules. It may be a loss for the PA but what is turning down these rules going to do for the PA? It's going to get all these current contracts voided/fined and inspire the league to start giving more and more hell to teams and players who submit a long-term contract.

I don't even really think it's much of a loss. The PA will walk away with the league being less on their backs about contracts: That's the tradeoff, they take 2 rules that prevents ridiculous contract andget the league to have less argument for rejecting a contract that follows all rules.

#11676 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

I don't much care what anyone else says at this point in time. I have major issues with blackmail and that's exactly what the NHL is doing to the NHLPA.

The union is ineffective, about as useful as tits on a boar hog, and couldn't negotiate their way out of cage match with two freaking hamsters. Bettman and Co. have them by the balls with their right hand, a butcher knife in their left hand, and a demonic grin on their collective faces as they say to the NHLPA, "We have a deal, don't we? Or do you want to be castrated?"

I'll say more about this later, but I will say right now, I wonder how the players feel about their UNION right about now?

Wonder if they'd like to decertify the dang thing and start all over again because the NHL has officially broken this one's back.

B )

Edited by IceThief, 02 September 2010 - 04:25 PM.

In honor of one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game, I remain to this day and forever after a lifetime member of the Scott Stevens Fan Club:

"If you ever had to describe what a Devil player would be," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, "the name would be Scott Stevens."

"He was just huge," Devils left wing Patrik Elias said of walking into training camp the first time in 1995. "I was afraid of him. You had a 170-pound guy coming here and he was 220, 225 with these paws like a bear. I was pretty intimidated the first few years. I'm happy he was on my side the whole time."

#11677 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

We played either basketball or dodgeball in gym, occasionally football. Dodgeball was the best, because our Belarussian wrestler gym teacher would sometimes yell "threeeeee poooiiiinnnntttt liiiiinnnnee" and then you were allowed to cross half court to the three point lines. That was a free for all.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#11678 shreaddead

shreaddead

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

If we're talking the 40+ rule being included as was the rumor yesterday then, like I said yesterday:

Why would the PA reject this? This makes the unofficial rules official. It's completely fair what the league is asking for. The new rules will stop all these investigations and rejections in/of future contracts. The PA isn't losing much here - the rules only apply to players who's contracts go past 40 and are longer than 5 years. How many contracts are there that take players into their 40's in the NHL anyway? How many 5+ year deals does each team have? I'd say all these rules will do is take about 1-2 million dollars in cap room from all teams and prevent future rejected contracts and subsequent arbitrations.

What the PA is going to get is less contract rejections and contract scrutiny as long as a contract follows the new rules. It may be a loss for the PA but what is turning down these rules going to do for the PA? It's going to get all these current contracts voided/fined and inspire the league to start giving more and more hell to teams and players who submit a long-term contract.

I don't even really think it's much of a loss. The PA will walk away with the league being less on their backs about contracts: That's the tradeoff, they take 2 rules that prevents ridiculous contract andget the league to have less argument for rejecting a contract that follows all rules.

so if this ultimatum were to apply to the Kovalchuck contract wouldn't that just make it a 13 year 92, 93 million dollar deal?

#11679 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

MurphysLaw74: Was just told that Devils punishment for Kovalchuk deal could be $1-3 million and two first round draft picks. Ouch!

What?!

#11680 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

might as well say that here... who the fvck is Jimmy Murphy? :lol: the last time we were supposed to get cap fined $5M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users