New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The longer this goes on, the more I feel we should just back out and get someone who would actually like to be here. As much as I want to believe that Kovy is just taking his time, realistically the guy is just chasing the $$$.

Look at Clarkson earlier this week...there's a guy who REALLY wants to be a Devil for his entire career. Players with that type of devotion to a team no longer exist. Those are the guys who put in the extra effort during the playoffs, those are the guys who would do just about anything to win another cup for this team. What we don't need is more guys looking to just cash in on a nice paycheck.

Like I have said before, if Kovy signs here, so be it. But if he goes elsewhere, no tears here.

The second contradicts the first....no?

By that measure, Clarkson doesn't give a fvck about this team

Edited by cubanjd305

if the devils lose out on signing kovy the next best move would be signing Alexander Frolov. he looks to be a good player and it wont kill us cap wise to sign him

why do we need Frolov? we already have 6 top 6 forwards. I don't understand this obsession. go get a PMD somehow, and fill out the D. they have months to make that move. why a panic signing for big money on a dog like Frolov?

The longer this goes on, the more I feel we should just back out and get someone who would actually like to be here.

Mike Mottau? <shudder> As much as I liked Volchenkov I'm still paranoid that while the Isles are announcing the Kovalchuk deal we'll be announcing the return of Mottau and Robbie Nieds.

Yeah I realized that...I didn't mean it like that,but I was hoping he'd get me. I meant it like should any team give out 1/6 of his cap to a single player?

Crosby and Ovechkin, the Pens and Caps would have to do it just because (and even they're getting lower salaries than Kovy assuming he takes this offer). Anyone else - even Zach - that's not in the discussion, not for a successful team.

Yes the Islanders are interested in Kovy and want to offer him possibly the 10-years $100M, but CMON there is NO WAY Kovy goes to the Islanders and play for a NON contender and in that old dump of a building! LMAO!

Think about it people. Kovy might as well have stayed in Atlanta if that was the case. This is just another bored writer and GM with pipe dreams of thinking of landing the big prize of the UFA. Its NOT going to happen. By Monday or Tuesday we will most likely see....Ilya Kovalchuk to New Jersey! Hopefully.

True. And I don't think he goes to the Islanders. But, if he likes living around here and doesn't like any of the offers he's getting from the Devils then there is a chance he signs there. Its a small chance but still a possibility.

By the way, it feels so good to be right.

And even at $10 million per year, it is a great move for the Isles, except for the number of years. It's a very young talented team that is slowly but surely digging out of the mess left by Milbury.

Crosby and Ovechkin, the Pens and Caps would have to do it just because (and even they're getting lower salaries than Kovy assuming he takes this offer). Anyone else - even Zach - that's not in the discussion, not for a successful team.

Read me like an open book. Zach's who I had in mind. Hopefully when his time comes, he won't be asking for 1/8 of the team's cap

The longer this goes on, the more I feel we should just back out and get someone who would actually like to be here. As much as I want to believe that Kovy is just taking his time, realistically the guy is just chasing the $$$.

Look at Clarkson earlier this week...there's a guy who REALLY wants to be a Devil for his entire career. Players with that type of devotion to a team no longer exist. Those are the guys who put in the extra effort during the playoffs, those are the guys who would do just about anything to win another cup for this team. What we don't need is more guys looking to just cash in on a nice paycheck.

Like I have said before, if Kovy signs here, so be it. But if he goes elsewhere, no tears here.

I too am starting to think he is just trying to make as much as possible at this point. If he wanted to be a Devil he would have to realize that there would be no point to sign here unless he was willing to take an offer that would allow the team to actually be a contender year in and year out. What good is milking NJ and then playing for a team that has to let Parise walk or round out their roster with scrubs. You can't win and get a max deal at the same time, well maybe Crosby can, but that is irrelevant here.

I was optimistic he would sign here under terms that were good for both himself and the franchise but the way this has all transpired leads me to believe there is no chance at this point. So be it I guess.

Read me like an open book. Zach's who I had in mind. Hopefully when his time comes, he won't be asking for 1/8 of the team's cap

That is why you lock him up long term once it's clear that kovalchuk is out of the picture.

By the way, it feels so good to be right.

And even at $10 million per year, it is a great move for the Isles, except for the number of years. It's a very young talented team that is slowly but surely digging out of the mess left by Milbury.

You're not right until he signs

You pulled the trigger a little early there.

Even if he doesn't sign with the Isles, the fact that they've made the biggest offer is enough for me. I said they were a darkhorse, and people laughed at even the suggestion that they would be in the picture at all.

Nobody got your reference. You happy now, bitch?

:D Yup.

Even if he doesn't sign with the Isles, the fact that they've made the biggest offer is enough for me. I said they were a darkhorse, and people laughed at even the suggestion that they would be in the picture at all.

I was just making sure you didn't get some news, kinda scared me. I have to agree actually. Good call. And a month ago none the less. *applause*

Edited by ben00rs

why do we need Frolov? we already have 6 top 6 forwards. I don't understand this obsession. go get a PMD somehow, and fill out the D. they have months to make that move. why a panic signing for big money on a dog like Frolov?

i dont think we are going to be signing any more D. i think we are going to be trading for defense now

But your reasoning was still faulty. You said he'd go there because they're a NY team and are up and coming, the only reason he is even entertaining going there is because they've come up with by far the biggest offer.

There actually hasn't been the market anyone thought there would be for him so it did open up for a bad team like the Isles to blow him out of the water, as I guessed they might yesterday.

Edited by NJDevs26

But your reasoning was still faulty. You said he'd go there because they're a NY team and are up and coming, the only reason he is even entertaining going there is because they've come up with by far the biggest offer.

There actually hasn't been the market anyone thought there would be for him so it did open up for a bad team like the Isles to blow him out of the water, as I guessed they might yesterday.

That's not what I said at all. I said that the Isles would be able to offer him a ton of money and that it would make sense as a big chip to add to a very young and very cheap roster. The stuff about it being NY was just a response to people who said the Islanders weren't prime time enough.

i dont think we are going to be signing any more D. i think we are going to be trading for defense now

yeah, I know. that's what I mean by them having "months" to figure out how to get that piece. the defense market has been cleared out.

I think I would stand pat. The move for the next short term is figuring out if anyone will take Rolston w/o having to add. People don't like Langs, I don't like Langs right now, but you let him stay, go to camp. See if Clarkson is right, see if Tedenby can play, see if Zubrus' connection with the other Z's wasn't a fluke, then make some decisions.

let the Islanders have their billion dollar toy. don't chase other forwards when you're logjammed, except for 3/4C and 4 line wings. and there's plenty of kids for those roles anyway.

really, I did a run-through w/ Kovy at $8M per on HF, and I think it's ugly. it's not 100% accurate, but to get under the cap, you're basically trading Langs, Rolston and Salvador off the team for nothing.... and you're still scrunching things in to get to a 22/23 man roster.

Rolston is worth little, granted, so is Sal, but I think Langs is a chip, and I can't stomach giving up (or Zubrus, for that matter) away for free for an $8M second line LW. on this team, that's what he is.

Yes the Islanders are interested in Kovy and want to offer him possibly the 10-years $100M, but CMON there is NO WAY Kovy goes to the Islanders and play for a NON contender and in that old dump of a building! LMAO!

Think about it people. Kovy might as well have stayed in Atlanta if that was the case. This is just another bored writer and GM with pipe dreams of thinking of landing the big prize of the UFA. Its NOT going to happen. By Monday or Tuesday we will most likely see....Ilya Kovalchuk to New Jersey! Hopefully.

Not really. It's one thing to resign with a bad team for boatloads of money without finding out what your true value to GOOD teams is. It's another to have tested the market and found out that the best money is still with a bad team. I'd say there is a pretty good chance he signs with the Islanders. Hell, I think he'd even resign with Atlanta if they offer him that money.

The move for the next short term is figuring out if anyone will take Rolston w/o having to add.

Not happening. We are going to have to take on a contract to get rid of Rolston. The hope is that someone will be a sucker and take him and the players we get in return will be a lot more easily tradeable/dumped.

Edited by ben00rs

Not happening. We are going to have to take on a contract to get rid of Rolston. The hope is that someone will be a sucker and take him and the players we get in return will be a lot more easily tradeable/dumped.

I meant us adding to the trade. If we took something like Witt and paid Witt to sit in Albany, that's acceptable. More than acceptable, actually.... but I think the Isles are in the process of shooting their load.

hmmm, Colorado, how about you? got any junk you don't want to pay for?

I meant us adding to the trade. If we took something like Witt and paid Witt to sit in Albany, that's acceptable. More than acceptable, actually.... but I think the Isles are in the process of shooting their load.

hmmm, Colorado, how about you? got any junk you don't want to pay for?

I can't see a team wanting another player along with Rolston unless it's one of our young guys (Tedenby/Josefsen) or a draft pick. The most likely possibility is actually a team like the Islanders. They have money to spend, could use a veteran forward with a dangerous shot and they're close to NJ, so he might waive the NTC wit henough convincing.

No way he goes to a good team. Just no way.

Edited by ben00rs

This has turned into a complete sh*t show. Not yet to the point of trade deadline proportions but it's getting there.

The only thing that would be more comical is if the Rangers wound up offering a 100-year deal for $150 million to get around the cap and trump the Isles' offer.

yeah, I know. that's what I mean by them having "months" to figure out how to get that piece. the defense market has been cleared out.

I think I would stand pat. The move for the next short term is figuring out if anyone will take Rolston w/o having to add. People don't like Langs, I don't like Langs right now, but you let him stay, go to camp. See if Clarkson is right, see if Tedenby can play, see if Zubrus' connection with the other Z's wasn't a fluke, then make some decisions.

let the Islanders have their billion dollar toy. don't chase other forwards when you're logjammed, except for 3/4C and 4 line wings. and there's plenty of kids for those roles anyway.

really, I did a run-through w/ Kovy at $8M per on HF, and I think it's ugly. it's not 100% accurate, but to get under the cap, you're basically trading Langs, Rolston and Salvador off the team for nothing.... and you're still scrunching things in to get to a 22/23 man roster.

Rolston is worth little, granted, so is Sal, but I think Langs is a chip, and I can't stomach giving up (or Zubrus, for that matter) away for free for an $8M second line LW. on this team, that's what he is.

just for kicks, i went and did the roster w/ kovy @ $8MM getting rid of just sal and rolston for nothing, dressing 22 guys and getting another bottom 6 forward for $1MM.

* Ilya Kovalchuk —$8,000,000

Patrik Elias —$6,000,000

Jason Arnott —$4,500,000

Travis Zajac —$3,887,500

Dainius Zubrus —$3,400,000

Zach Parise —$3,125,000

Jamie Langenbrunner —$2,800,000

David Clarkson —$2,666,667

* Dominic Moore —$1,000,000

Jacob Josefson —$900,000

Vladimir Zharkov ($240,000)$850,000

* Rod Pelley —$750,000