12306 replies to this topic

#12201 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

93674ff4-a003-44f3-9d43-31f4d50afc6f.jpgecfebb33-4e78-4585-84fd-72e45e3e484d.jpg

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#12202 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

So lets have some trades start.

Probably not until after the holiday (Tuesday).

#12203 goalieguy87

goalieguy87

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

54 more thread paqes is a lot when the "deal" is done

We are forum! This is thread!
Marty Saved My Soul And Took It Straight To Hell
Jersey Collection Updated 5-8-09 http://community.web...r/goalieguy1987
Posted Image
Co-Keeper of Jay Pandolfo
Keeper of Doc's "A Big Drive!!"
Keeper of Mike Peluso's crying fit in game 4 of the 95 Finals

Keeper of Brian Rolston, Lou's Cap, and Lou's "Don't worry about my cap"

#12204 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1syRvYo0fbg

this is the exact thing i thought of when i saw the picture/quote from TR as i was recapping, well played!

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#12205 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

I just love the guttural noises tony makes when he's swallows peter whole, I died

93674ff4-a003-44f3-9d43-31f4d50afc6f.jpgecfebb33-4e78-4585-84fd-72e45e3e484d.jpg

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#12206 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

http://slam.canoe.ca...4/15250286.html

How long before the New Jersey Devils regret signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a 15-year contract? One year? Five years? Five minutes? What seemed lost in all the byplay of whether his contract would be approved, whether Gary Bettman has become the nastiest commissioner in sport, whether the NHLPA actually exists, was the question of why. Why would anyone believe you can build a team around Kovalchuk? And if you believe that, as the Devils clearly do based on the $100-million US they are prepared to spend, what are you basing that belief on?

Martin Brodeur won't be around much longer. The Devils haven't been a playoff factor of any kind since before the lockout. Their best defencemen -- Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski and Paul Martin -- have either retired or moved on. Maybe, short term, the Devils will get some value from Kovalchuk, the goal-scorer. But not 15 years worth. Not 10 years worth. This isn't a gamble as much as it is an enormous investment: An investment that will not, cannot pay off long-term.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#12207 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

That's great, Steve.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#12208 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Simmons/2010/09/04/15250286.html

We're not building the team around Kovalchuk.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#12209 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Simmons/2010/09/04/15250286.html

Haters love to hate. That's why its called an investment. A player like kovy doesn't come around often, especially one the devils can get. Non fans have been quick to criticize but its all jealously.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#12210 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

Kovalchuk interview on Puck Daddy http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl-267491

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#12211 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

solid read, liked what he had to say and props for DC to get the exclusive

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#12212 Devilzibook

Devilzibook

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

"I will now play for a team that is always a contender for the Stanley Cup. It's something that I always wanted."
B ) :clap: :hail:
Posted Image

My name is Alex, and I am Quebecois ! Thank you.

One dream: BRING BACK THE NORDIQUES !!!

#12213 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 24,190 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

We're not building the team around Kovalchuk.

when you drop THAT much money at him you damn well are!
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#12214 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

$6.66 mil isn't "THAT much." It's what you would expect to pay a first-line type of player. It's a steal considering it's a two-time 50 goal-scorer. Kovalchuk is going to be a big part of the team's core, but we're not "building around" him. We already have Parise, Zajac, Elias, Brodeur, etc. He's just a piece of the puzzle.

#12215 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 24,190 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

$6.66 mil isn't "THAT much." It's what you would expect to pay a first-line type of player. It's a steal considering it's a two-time 50 goal-scorer. Kovalchuk is going to be a big part of the team's core, but we're not "building around" him. We already have Parise, Zajac, Elias, Brodeur, etc. He's just a piece of the puzzle.

over 15 years??
you don't sign role-players to 15 year contracts sir
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#12216 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

we are building a team around kovie and parise, no need to deny that. we should get a goalie as well to ensure a smooth transition.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#12217 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

over 15 years??
you don't sign role-players to 15 year contracts sir

When did I say he was a role-player?

#12218 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

There's money, and than there's the cap hit. From the money standpoint, that's something none of us can know for sure, since we don't know exactly what the Devils finances are. But I think we can deduce that while what the team is paying Kovalchuk will probably preclude the team from making a huge free agency splash for the foreseeable future, it won't be a deal breaker so far as locking up Parise long term. Plus, we don't know (wink, wink) how much of the deal he's actually going to play out before he goes to Russia, retires or approves a deal to another team down the road.

From a cap hit standpoint, we're not. The Rangers dumped more cap space into Drury, Gomez and Gaborik, and about the same amount for Lunqvist and Redden, but no one would say the Rangers are/were built around any one of those players. And once Elias is gone, we'll have only two players with a $6 to $7 million cap hit for the foreseeable future (Parise of course, hopefully, being the other one).
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#12219 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

we are building a team around kovie and parise, no need to deny that. we should get a goalie as well to ensure a smooth transition.

That's probably true. But the article made it sound like the Devils were going to have the same strategy as the Thrashers. It's plainly not the case.
Posted Image

#12220 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:28 PM

That's probably true. But the article made it sound like the Devils were going to have the same strategy as the Thrashers. It's plainly not the case.

Right, this is what I was saying. We're not "building around him" in the sense that he's our only legit player and the rest is just scrubs/young guys. We have a team and Kovy is part of it going forward, along with Parise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users