12374 replies to this topic

#141 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

why do we need Frolov? we already have 6 top 6 forwards. I don't understand this obsession. go get a PMD somehow, and fill out the D. they have months to make that move. why a panic signing for big money on a dog like Frolov?

i dont think we are going to be signing any more D. i think we are going to be trading for defense now

#142 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

This has turned into a complete sh*t show. Not yet to the point of trade deadline proportions but it's getting there.
New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#143 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

Even if he doesn't sign with the Isles, the fact that they've made the biggest offer is enough for me. I said they were a darkhorse, and people laughed at even the suggestion that they would be in the picture at all.

But your reasoning was still faulty. You said he'd go there because they're a NY team and are up and coming, the only reason he is even entertaining going there is because they've come up with by far the biggest offer.

There actually hasn't been the market anyone thought there would be for him so it did open up for a bad team like the Isles to blow him out of the water, as I guessed they might yesterday.

Edited by NJDevs26, 02 July 2010 - 11:02 PM.

#144 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

But your reasoning was still faulty. You said he'd go there because they're a NY team and are up and coming, the only reason he is even entertaining going there is because they've come up with by far the biggest offer.

There actually hasn't been the market anyone thought there would be for him so it did open up for a bad team like the Isles to blow him out of the water, as I guessed they might yesterday.

That's not what I said at all. I said that the Isles would be able to offer him a ton of money and that it would make sense as a big chip to add to a very young and very cheap roster. The stuff about it being NY was just a response to people who said the Islanders weren't prime time enough.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#145 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

i dont think we are going to be signing any more D. i think we are going to be trading for defense now

yeah, I know. that's what I mean by them having "months" to figure out how to get that piece. the defense market has been cleared out.

I think I would stand pat. The move for the next short term is figuring out if anyone will take Rolston w/o having to add. People don't like Langs, I don't like Langs right now, but you let him stay, go to camp. See if Clarkson is right, see if Tedenby can play, see if Zubrus' connection with the other Z's wasn't a fluke, then make some decisions.

let the Islanders have their billion dollar toy. don't chase other forwards when you're logjammed, except for 3/4C and 4 line wings. and there's plenty of kids for those roles anyway.

really, I did a run-through w/ Kovy at $8M per on HF, and I think it's ugly. it's not 100% accurate, but to get under the cap, you're basically trading Langs, Rolston and Salvador off the team for nothing.... and you're still scrunching things in to get to a 22/23 man roster.

Rolston is worth little, granted, so is Sal, but I think Langs is a chip, and I can't stomach giving up (or Zubrus, for that matter) away for free for an $8M second line LW. on this team, that's what he is.

#146 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

Yes the Islanders are interested in Kovy and want to offer him possibly the 10-years $100M, but CMON there is NO WAY Kovy goes to the Islanders and play for a NON contender and in that old dump of a building! LMAO!

Think about it people. Kovy might as well have stayed in Atlanta if that was the case. This is just another bored writer and GM with pipe dreams of thinking of landing the big prize of the UFA. Its NOT going to happen. By Monday or Tuesday we will most likely see....Ilya Kovalchuk to New Jersey! Hopefully.

Not really. It's one thing to resign with a bad team for boatloads of money without finding out what your true value to GOOD teams is. It's another to have tested the market and found out that the best money is still with a bad team. I'd say there is a pretty good chance he signs with the Islanders. Hell, I think he'd even resign with Atlanta if they offer him that money.

#147 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

The move for the next short term is figuring out if anyone will take Rolston w/o having to add.

Not happening. We are going to have to take on a contract to get rid of Rolston. The hope is that someone will be a sucker and take him and the players we get in return will be a lot more easily tradeable/dumped.

Edited by ben00rs, 02 July 2010 - 11:12 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#148 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:17 PM

Not happening. We are going to have to take on a contract to get rid of Rolston. The hope is that someone will be a sucker and take him and the players we get in return will be a lot more easily tradeable/dumped.

I meant us adding to the trade. If we took something like Witt and paid Witt to sit in Albany, that's acceptable. More than acceptable, actually.... but I think the Isles are in the process of shooting their load.

hmmm, Colorado, how about you? got any junk you don't want to pay for?

#149 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

I meant us adding to the trade. If we took something like Witt and paid Witt to sit in Albany, that's acceptable. More than acceptable, actually.... but I think the Isles are in the process of shooting their load.

hmmm, Colorado, how about you? got any junk you don't want to pay for?

I can't see a team wanting another player along with Rolston unless it's one of our young guys (Tedenby/Josefsen) or a draft pick. The most likely possibility is actually a team like the Islanders. They have money to spend, could use a veteran forward with a dangerous shot and they're close to NJ, so he might waive the NTC wit henough convincing.

No way he goes to a good team. Just no way.

Edited by ben00rs, 02 July 2010 - 11:21 PM.

#150 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

This has turned into a complete sh*t show. Not yet to the point of trade deadline proportions but it's getting there.

The only thing that would be more comical is if the Rangers wound up offering a 100-year deal for $150 million to get around the cap and trump the Isles' offer.

#151 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

yeah, I know. that's what I mean by them having "months" to figure out how to get that piece. the defense market has been cleared out.

I think I would stand pat. The move for the next short term is figuring out if anyone will take Rolston w/o having to add. People don't like Langs, I don't like Langs right now, but you let him stay, go to camp. See if Clarkson is right, see if Tedenby can play, see if Zubrus' connection with the other Z's wasn't a fluke, then make some decisions.

let the Islanders have their billion dollar toy. don't chase other forwards when you're logjammed, except for 3/4C and 4 line wings. and there's plenty of kids for those roles anyway.

really, I did a run-through w/ Kovy at $8M per on HF, and I think it's ugly. it's not 100% accurate, but to get under the cap, you're basically trading Langs, Rolston and Salvador off the team for nothing.... and you're still scrunching things in to get to a 22/23 man roster.

Rolston is worth little, granted, so is Sal, but I think Langs is a chip, and I can't stomach giving up (or Zubrus, for that matter) away for free for an $8M second line LW. on this team, that's what he is.

just for kicks, i went and did the roster w/ kovy @ $8MM getting rid of just sal and rolston for nothing, dressing 22 guys and getting another bottom 6 forward for $1MM.

* Ilya Kovalchuk —$8,000,000
Patrik Elias —$6,000,000
Jason Arnott —$4,500,000
Travis Zajac —$3,887,500
Dainius Zubrus —$3,400,000
Zach Parise —$3,125,000
Jamie Langenbrunner —$2,800,000
David Clarkson —$2,666,667
* Dominic Moore —$1,000,000
Jacob Josefson —$900,000
Vladimir Zharkov ($240,000)$850,000
* Rod Pelley —$750,000
P-L Letourneau-Leblond —$525,000

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov —$4,250,000
Henrik Tallinder —$3,375,000
Colin White —$3,000,000
Alexander Urbom ($310,000)$870,000
Matt Corrente ($165,000)$821,667
Andy Greene —$737,500
Anssi Salmela —$612,500

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur —$5,200,000 J
Johan Hedberg ($500,000)$1,500,000

BUYOUTS Jay Pandolfo—$833,333
Andrew Peters—$166,667

ROSTER SIZE22
PAYROLL$59,770,833
BONUSES $1,215,000
CAP SPACE$844,167

Edited by sundstrom, 02 July 2010 - 11:26 PM.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#152 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

first i agree with you on kovy. it was great having him last year but i am done with it. its not worth the money keeping him here. second i cant see lou trading rolston or langenbrunner, they both have no trade clause. our top six forwards right now are zajac, parise, langenbrunner, elias, arnott, maybe, and zubrus. rolston is good for maybe 10, clarkson maybe 15 depends who is working with. i really dont see a lot of goals happening or any body being really scared of our second line, or any body caring about our third line because its not going to be doing anything

#153 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

just for kicks, i went and did the roster w/ kovy @ $8MM getting rid of just sal and rolston for nothing, dressing 22 guys and getting another bottom 6 forward for $1MM.

* Ilya Kovalchuk —$8,000,000
Patrik Elias —$6,000,000
Jason Arnott —$4,500,000
Travis Zajac —$3,887,500
Dainius Zubrus —$3,400,000
Zach Parise —$3,125,000
Jamie Langenbrunner —$2,800,000
David Clarkson —$2,666,667
* Dominic Moore —$1,000,000
Jacob Josefson —$900,000
Vladimir Zharkov ($240,000)$850,000
* Rod Pelley —$750,000
P-L Letourneau-Leblond —$525,000

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov —$4,250,000
Henrik Tallinder —$3,375,000
Colin White —$3,000,000
Alexander Urbom ($310,000)$870,000
Matt Corrente ($165,000)$821,667
Andy Greene —$737,500
Anssi Salmela —$612,500

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur —$5,200,000 J
Johan Hedberg ($500,000)$1,500,000

BUYOUTS Jay Pandolfo—$833,333
Andrew Peters—$166,667

ROSTER SIZE22
PAYROLL$59,770,833
BONUSES $1,215,000
CAP SPACE$844,167

that's a slightly better team than mine, because I have no Langs and I have Fraser as the sixth defenseman (Urbom as the 5th), a placeholder as 3rd line LW making ELC money (really because I have no idea who to put there, Zharkie is a RW, and really, I'd like him to score a goal before I put him on the 3rd line), and "fodder" also making cheap/ELC money as 4th line center centering PL3 and Pelley.

my team is essentially

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus
Kovalchuk-Arnott-Elias
ELC-Josefson-Clarkson
PL3-cheap-Pelley
ELC/cheap

Greene-Volchenkov
Tallinder-White
Urbom-Fraser
ELC/cheap

I don't like that as much as:

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus/Langs
Elias-Arnott-Zubrus/Langs
Rolston-Josefson-Clarkson
whoever-Pelley-Zharkov
PL3

Greene-Volchenkov
?-Tallinder
any of the ELCs-White
Salmela

having White on the 3rd pair, I like that alot. I mean, he gets paid too much there, but he's generally solid in his assignments and they'd be getting easier.

#154 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

that's a slightly better team than mine, because I have no Langs and I have Fraser as the sixth defenseman (Urbom as the 5th), a placeholder as 3rd line LW making ELC money (really because I have no idea who to put there, Zharkie is a RW, and really, I'd like him to score a goal before I put him on the 3rd line), and "fodder" also making cheap/ELC money as 4th line center centering PL3 and Pelley.

my team is essentially

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus
Kovalchuk-Arnott-Elias
ELC-Josefson-Clarkson
PL3-cheap-Pelley
ELC/cheap

Greene-Volchenkov
Tallinder-White
Urbom-Fraser
ELC/cheap

I don't like that as much as:

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus/Langs
Elias-Arnott-Zubrus/Langs
Rolston-Josefson-Clarkson
whoever-Pelley-Zharkov
PL3

Greene-Volchenkov
?-Tallinder
any of the ELCs-White
Salmela

having White on the 3rd pair, I like that alot. I mean, he gets paid too much there, but he's generally solid in his assignments and they'd be getting easier.

i agree with you - mine looks better. since we're in fantasy land here, i'd actually try to move white too and get one of erhoff/salo/bieksa from vancouver who now have 6 defensemen making over $3MM each.

ideally:

parise-zajac-langenbrunner
kovalchuk-arnott-elias
zubrus-josefson-clarkson
PL3-pelley-zharkov/veteran bottom 6 guy

volchenkov-greene
talinder-urbom
erhoff-corrente/salmela

lou would have to jedi mind trick his way out of rolston, salvador and white for no return salary. part of the mind trick would have to be on himself because i don't think he wants to get rid of colin white.

as for landing places for rolston - i actually think TBL might be one - they've got 4 F under contract and tons of cap space. sal (and white) are useful and several teams (anaheim, buffalo, carolina, florida, st. louis, washington) could use them as upgrades (amazingly).

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#155 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Kings still going for Kovy:

Press Telegram Article
"The coveted free-agent forward still appears to be on the radar of general manager Dean Lombardi, who offered only the following statement through a team spokesperson late Friday: "We have been, and continue to, work, on a number of different scenarios."

#156 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

really wisah kovy would pick somewhere so i can get on with my summer

#157 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:25 AM

eh, i'm past the point of caring anymore. as long as we don't give him the ridiculous contract he seems to want, i'm cool. he's good, but he's not worth going crazy over. if anything, kovalgate is a source for entertainment now. like someone else said -- the only way this gets better is if somehow the rangers managed to get involved but sather already did a good enough job with boogard so i'm even satisfied there too.

it's been a fun free agency so far, that's for sure.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#158 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

i agree free agency has been fun so far..I think the longer this kovalchuk frenzy goes the better chance the devils have at swooping him up

#159 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

:excl: "NY" team.........

Fvcking WRONG. All teams in the city of "NY" are NJ area teams. Read a little history will ya.

#160 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:38 AM

eh, i'm past the point of caring anymore. as long as we don't give him the ridiculous contract he seems to want, i'm cool. he's good, but he's not worth going crazy over. if anything, kovalgate is a source for entertainment now. like someone else said -- the only way this gets better is if somehow the rangers managed to get involved but sather already did a good enough job with boogard so i'm even satisfied there too.

it's been a fun free agency so far, that's for sure.

You know, I understand and share the feelings of anticipation and impatience to wait to see what a professional athlete is gonna do. But everyone around here seems to be giving up on caring what happens because it's taking too long.

However, let me stick up for Kovy. The truth is, it's only 2 days into free agency. Kovy has to make a life and career-altering decision this summer that will affect not only him but his family too. I think we should give Kovy a few more days before calling the situation too annoying to care about. I mean look at the NBA, there's been relatively no FA movement at all in the past 2 days. And how long do you think it's gonna be before LeBron signs?

Everybody is acting like they're too exhausted to go on. That just doesn't make any sense to me. Just trying to put things in perspective. I hope no offense is taken.

Edited by ben00rs, 03 July 2010 - 03:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users