Photo

Why does Gary Bettman get booed all the time?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,470 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

Bettman's salary is in line with what other Commish make, I believe. Back in 2008 Bud Selig was making like 18 million and Roger Goodell was making 11 million. Then if you want to start throwing in what CEO's making at a company the size of the NHL and Bettman's salary is still not out of whack.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#42 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

My dislike for Bettman is just his disregard for tradition and the old style game.

Why can't we have the Patrick Division? Or the Wales and Campbell conferences? Under him, we saw the end of the Nordiques, Jets, and Whalers. We have teams in Atlanta and Phoenix. Heck, we almost got our own team moved to Nashville. People forget how real that threat was.

Also, I hate the instigator penalty. I really think it hurts the sport. The players policed themselves for nearly a century. There would be no Sean Avery's if he had to live by the old code or actually pay a consequence. Keep in mind a lot of the goons of yesteryear could also play the game, like Probert, McSorley, or Semenko. These guys were enforcers but could also chip in 5 - 15 goals a year. There definitely is a lack of respect in the game now.

Oh, and the Edge jerseys. Glowing pucks. Trapezoid rule. Ballooning goalies. Lockouts.

Of course he isn't to blame for all of this, but he was the guy in charge while all of this went down so it gets associated with him and his reign. Hence the hate.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#43 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,470 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

I'm also for tradition and the old style game. I have a petition to bring back the rover and no forward passes in the offensive zone, who's with me!?!? :lol:

I'm just busting chops, "tradition" doesn't mean good, it just means that's how it's always been done. It could have always been done that way because it's the best, but then those reasons of the way "being the best" need to be explained, not just kept because of "tradition".
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#44 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

I really wish they would bring back the old conference and division names

Have the eastern and western conference go back to wales and campbell.

Rename the Atlantic Division the Patrick Division
Rename the Northeast Division the Adams Division
Rename the Southeast Division the Calder Division (A suggestion)
Rename the Central Division the Norris Division
Rename the Northwest Division the Smythe Division
Rename the Pacific Division the Selke Division (A suggestion)

Another suggestion for the Southeast or Pacific Divisions could be Vezina Division.

#45 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Bettman (high whiney voiced Jewish New York lawyer)

That's basically what I said :whistling:

Edited by Satans Hockey, 13 July 2010 - 01:24 PM.

#46 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

That's basically what I said :whistling:

Yea... kinda.

#47 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

I really wish they would bring back the old conference and division names

Have the eastern and western conference go back to wales and campbell.

Rename the Atlantic Division the Patrick Division
Rename the Northeast Division the Adams Division
Rename the Southeast Division the Calder Division (A suggestion)
Rename the Central Division the Norris Division
Rename the Northwest Division the Smythe Division
Rename the Pacific Division the Selke Division (A suggestion)

Another suggestion for the Southeast or Pacific Divisions could be Vezina Division.

i approve

lets pull away from the NBA and show our fans are capable enough to keep up with changes in names

Edited by jagknife, 13 July 2010 - 06:31 PM.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#48 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

Buccigross suggested in a column some time ago re-naming the divisions, but updating the names. For example, re-naming the Northeast Division the Orr Division, making the Central Division the Howe Division, so on and so forth. I think it's a cool idea.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#49 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

I'm also for tradition and the old style game. I have a petition to bring back the rover and no forward passes in the offensive zone, who's with me!?!? :lol:

I'm just busting chops, "tradition" doesn't mean good, it just means that's how it's always been done. It could have always been done that way because it's the best, but then those reasons of the way "being the best" need to be explained, not just kept because of "tradition".

Good point, my mistake. For explanation's sake, I feel that the division and conference names were unique and that's why they should be changed back. It separated us from other sports. Stuff like the hockey handshake, the playoff beard, fighting (and honor amongst fighters) are things that you don't find in the other major sports.

I think the Edge jerseys, glow puck, lockouts, trapezoid, and ballooning goalies are all self explanatory.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#50 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

Weren't the division names only started in 1974? They were around for less then 20 years so its not much of a "tradition" same with White jerseys at home. He also gets flack for the Jets and Nordiques moving and how he "hates" Canada. Never mind how he helped save the Oilers and stabilized other traditional markets like Buffalo. But no people still think the Jets will be economical viable

#51 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Weren't the division names only started in 1974? They were around for less then 20 years so its not much of a "tradition" same with White jerseys at home. He also gets flack for the Jets and Nordiques moving and how he "hates" Canada. Never mind how he helped save the Oilers and stabilized other traditional markets like Buffalo. But no people still think the Jets will be economical viable

True, the division names were only around for about 20 years, but I liked it because it separated the NHL from the other sports by not dumbing it down to attract people who would not be interested in hockey no matter what. Yeah the Oilers were saved, but Buffalo was saved by Golisano, and not really because of Bettman. For the jerseys, I really do not care which color they wear at home, but I think an interesting idea would be to switch about every 10 years or so just to change it up.

No one can really fault the Jets and Nordiques for moving. Their reasons were mostly economical with the weak Canadian dollar and the fact that there was a rule where their revenues came in via Canadian Dollars, but had to pay the salaries in US dollars. Thus this gave them a disadvantage when it cam to signing players as they would have to offer less money to the players to stay profitable. Also, the fact that their owners needed new arenas that the city or province would not approve also contributed with them leaving. Same can be said for Hartford and to an extent the North Stars.

The fault that Bettman made was to allow and encourage the owners to go to the Sun Belt, and that has been a disaster. Phoenix, Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, and even to an extent Carolina are hurting right now. These are not places where interest in hockey is large. The whole fiasco with Phoenix is just proof that Bettman is incompetent as a commissioner. His only reason for wanting Phoenix to stay is to prevent the league from being embarassed that in 13 years, the team was better off in the original market and that the NHL also helped lobbying in getting that new arena built in Glendale when the Scottsdale arena plans fell through. This only added to the problem as Scottsdale is where a majority of Phoenix fans come from, and Glendale is on the otherside of the city.

#52 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

I was listing things that Bettman is hated for. I added that he isn't to blame for them all, but that since they happened while he was commissioner, he gets associated with them.

Personally, I would like the division names back because they were different and unique. If people can figure out NFC and AFC, they can figure out Campbell and Wales. The dark jerseys at home I don't really care about.

As DevsMan84 said, I hate that he encourages (or forces) teams into markets where they don't make sense. Sometimes they work great, like Dallas, SJ, etc. Sometimes they are just bad, like Phoenix and Atlanta. He fights so hard to keep them there and save face, but it just doesn't fit.

Yes, he helped save the Oilers. But what happens if they can't get their new arena? I'm curious to see how he handles that.

I think the Jets would fail again. I just don't think that city has the corporate support it would need, plus their new arena is very small. I wouldn't be shocked to see a team in Quebec City, only because they city is already planning a brand new arena, showing that clearly there is something behind that movement. On top of that, Bettman has met with QC recently. I haven't heard that about Winnipeg, but I could have just missed it.

#53 Spud387

Spud387

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:42 PM

Bettman has done some good things for the game I feel, but he is hated up north because of his departure from tradition, sell-out attitude to corporate money and treating canada like the ugly duckling to keep out of sight.

Hell, we even made a movie making fun of him:
http://en.wikipedia....on_Cop,_Bad_Cop
see character: "Harry Buttman"

#54 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

Dont forget he tried to move us to Nashville

that was the big reason...at least for devils fans!
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#55 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

that was the big reason...at least for devils fans!

Yeah, that's when he made it personal. All the other stuff is annoying, but this jerk has us signed sealed and delivered to Nashville while we were in the middle of our first cup run.

NASHVILLE? NO WAY!

#56 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:58 AM

...why the commissioner is so hated?

Because, ASsman is to Hockey what Godzilla is to Tokyo. Posted Image

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#57 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:55 AM

Yeah, that's when he made it personal. All the other stuff is annoying, but this jerk has us signed sealed and delivered to Nashville while we were in the middle of our first cup run.

NASHVILLE? NO WAY!

i remember thinking at the time the only thing that was keeping the Devils in Jersey was this Cup run; Bettman was definitely in favor of the move...no doubt about it!
after they pulled it off and got the Hardware that seemed to just kill the nashville momentum.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#58 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

In short:

- Trying to turn the NHL into the NBA (used to be an exec for the NBA)
- Dumbing down the game so "casual" viewers can adopt easier (I so miss the Wales and Cambell conferences and the Patrick and other divisions)
- Has a burning man-crush on Sidney
- Has a slightly less burning man-crush on Ovechkin
- Because of Crosby and Ovechkin, lets the TV networks only promote them along with Toronto, Philly, NY, LA, Chicago and Detroit. All other markets are SOL.
- When was the last time you saw the Devils on NBC and it was not against any of the above teams mentioned?
- Beats his wife (I'm guessing at this one as I have no evidence)
- Under his tenure, more teams have folded, relocated, and expanded than ever before thus dropping the overall quality due to the high number of teams
- 2005 Lockout
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Brodeur Rule (I might be wrong on this as this is most likely the Board of Gov fault)

That's the gist of it.

These are all the reasons he should be praised. under his tenure, more teams in the south (yes, needed in order to secure tv contracts) made the game more fun to watch, and must importantly, made the playing field level, more parity. we don't have hte ny yankee's in this league.I think the guy has been good for hockey. they will still boo him because you always boo the commish in any sport.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#59 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

Bettman has done some good things for the game I feel, but he is hated up north because of his departure from tradition, sell-out attitude to corporate money and treating canada like the ugly duckling to keep out of sight.

Hell, we even made a movie making fun of him:
http://en.wikipedia....on_Cop,_Bad_Cop
see character: "Harry Buttman"

Yeah the evil Sith trio of NHL Prez. John Ziegler, NHLPA cheif Alan Eagleson, and Blackhawks owner/BOG head Bill Wirtz all only cared about tradition and never sold out to corporate types back in the old days. Just ask Bobby Orr how he ended up retiring in a Chicago uniform instead of where he should have been in Boston.

The big difference was Eagleson made sure the Canadian media including Dick Irvin was also in on the racket and that they were well paid off. Just read Russ Conway's book "Cracking the Ice" and you'll get a picture of the rackettering that went on between the NHL and NHLPA offices from the 1960's until the palace coup (led in part by Lou) took them down in the early 1990's.

Its been suggested that a disgruntled Bill Wirtz dragged the Blackhawks into the toilet on purpose to screw over the NHL's new guard including new Commish Bettman.

#60 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:43 PM

I was listing things that Bettman is hated for. I added that he isn't to blame for them all, but that since they happened while he was commissioner, he gets associated with them.

And he should. A good commissioner has control of the league. I'm tired of commissioners (Selig especially) getting a pass when someone else made the decision. It's the commish's job to know what's going on, know the implications of decisions made, and ensure the right thing happens, and Bettman and Selig both hide from that responsibility far too often (see steroids in baseball, the lockout in hockey). Nobody's perfect, but I have a lot more respect for Goodell putting his neck on the line in football, you know what he wants, and what he's going to do to get it. The NFL has issues, but they also have strong, assertive leadership. It makes a difference, and gives you confidence for the future of the sport. Stern is a unique case, because he was the best in his prime, and now he's old. He gets a break because most fans have fond memories of his successes as commissioner, but he has done a terrible job recently, and his league is in nearly as much trouble as the NHL.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users