47 replies to this topic

#1 deb4te

deb4te

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

This guy is a solid, american-made right wing who played really well for phoenix in the later half of the season and into the playoffs. He's only 27, so he's kind of in his prime. Since we probably won't get Kovy, we should grab this guy. He's cheap and he'll be a solid second liner or even a first liner.

Picture:
parise-zajac-langs
elias-arnott-stemp

OR exchange Langs and Stempniak.

Sound good?
LET'S GO DEVILS!!!
</br>Posted Image

#2 hobgoblin933

hobgoblin933

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

For the right price i think this would be an awesome move.

#3 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

I don't know how "cheap" he will be but it would definitely be very Lou-like.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#4 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

Posted Image
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#5 deb4te

deb4te

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

i hope we grab him
LET'S GO DEVILS!!!
</br>Posted Image

#6 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

I'd love to have him as well.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#7 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

parise-zajac-stemp
elias-arnott-langs

fixed

cghico.jpg

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#8 hobgoblin933

hobgoblin933

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Let's get a petition going and fax it over to Lou.

#9 deb4te

deb4te

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

parise-zajac-stemp
elias-arnott-langs

fixed

this would be cool but yeah as i said, he could be first or second line in my opinon
LET'S GO DEVILS!!!
</br>Posted Image

#10 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

A slow smallish winger who has had one hot streak in the last 4 years. There is a reason he is still on the market. I seen him play more then I have most Devils. He is useless.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#11 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

A slow smallish winger who has had one hot streak in the last 4 years. There is a reason he is still on the market. I seen him play more then I have most Devils. He is useless.

Might be a better signing than Petr Sykora? :noclue:

#12 hobgoblin933

hobgoblin933

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

Right, but who's spot would he be taking? What do we have to lose by offering him a 1 or 2 year deal?

#13 deb4te

deb4te

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

14 goals and 18 points in 18 games with phoenix?

That does not suck.

I realize this is definitely a "hot streak". But I think he would fit really well with us. He needs to be on a good line and he will be if we get him.

Edited by deb4te, 12 July 2010 - 02:16 PM.

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!
</br>Posted Image

#14 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

14 goals and 18 points in 18 games with phoenix?

That does not suck.

I realize this is definitely a "hot streak". But I think he would fit really well with us. He needs to be on a good line and he will be if we get him.

People overrate Stempniak. He is a 16-18 goal guy in a season and probably around 14 on the Devils. He is probably as low as you can go for a second line player and is a mediocre third line player. He is small and pretty slow. His streak with Phoenix wasn't more than a lot of good luck at once, it happens but it won't happen again most likely.

#15 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

People overrate Stempniak. He is a 16-18 goal guy in a season and probably around 14 on the Devils. He is probably as low as you can go for a second line player and is a mediocre third line player. He is small and pretty slow. His streak with Phoenix wasn't more than a lot of good luck at once, it happens but it won't happen again most likely.

ummmm...I would think most people would put him at 25-30 goals in general or on the Devils.

#16 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

ummmm...I would think most people would put him at 25-30 goals in general or on the Devils.

That looks like his top max end range, I would think his consistent range is like 16-22. His shooting percentage has wildly varied in his career which has really affected his goal scoring. He shot 30% for almost a quarter of a season in Phoenix, that's obviously nuts, even for that time span.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#17 hobgoblin933

hobgoblin933

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

I think he's definitely worth a shot and has a lot more potential than other options (i.e. Sykora, Torres)

#18 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

That looks like his top max end range, I would think his consistent range is like 16-22. His shooting percentage has wildly varied in his career which has really affected his goal scoring. He shot 30% for almost a quarter of a season in Phoenix, that's obviously nuts, even for that time span.

Agreed it his his high end range. But I would call it likely to be his range because he's entering his prime and will peak over the next four years. Playing on a line with Elias and Arnott or Parise and Zajac he would have no problem scoring 25-30.

Remember, this is a guy who has never played on a good team. He came to the Blues just after their last playoff appearance and was traded right before there next playoff appearance. If you're not a superstar then your stats on a bad team are going to suffer.

He has only played 18 games on a good team. And in those 18 games he scored 14 goals. I don't dare act like he is going to maintain that average but that average would put him at about 60 goals I believe. He is a lock for 25-30 on a good team.

#19 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

Stempniak, 30 goals? The guy hit over 25 goals twice and I am willing to say last season was a fluke. I think he can hit 50 points playing with Elias and Arnott but 20 goals at most, more likely he scores around 14-17. last season he scored at 29% with Phoenix and when he scored 27 he was at 16.3%. He would probably hover his season norm around 8-9% at best here.

#20 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

Been good only once in 4 years and is overrated IMO but if we can't find something better and our money can't be used on something better then why not a wise 1 or 2 year contract.
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users