37 replies to this topic

#21 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

A lot to recall about Big George, but I'll most remember his firings/hirings of Billy Martin. The whole saga went from being serious, to comical, to just plain sad -- for both George and Billy. ... I guess you could say this commercial was during the comical stage.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_zDcQV6_6k"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z_zDcQV6_6k[/url]

#22 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

I really think they should rename the actual Yankee Stadium 'Steinbrenner Field' or 'Steinbrenner Stadium'. The man's impact on the game of baseball, yet alone the Yankees, isn't ever going to be matched.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#23 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

Tweet of the day from Michael Ian Black:

"Somewhere in heaven, Billy Martin just got fired. RIP George Steinbrenner."

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#24 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

http://riveraveblues...the-boss-31949/

Huge props to the Red Sox and their owner John Henry...really brought me to tears. Extremely classy act on their part...

The Red Sox will honor George Steinbrenner with a moment of silence before the Thursday game at Fenway Park. “I had the good fortune to call George Steinbrenner both partner and friend,” current Boston owner and former Yankee partner John Henry said. “I had the privilege to watch George as he built a system that ensured his beloved Yankees would have a strong foundation for sustained excellence. And then we fiercely competed in the American League. George Steinbrenner forever changed baseball and hopefully some day we will see him honored in baseball’s Hall of Fame as one of the great figures in the history of sports.”

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#25 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

I really think they should rename the actual Yankee Stadium 'Steinbrenner Field' or 'Steinbrenner Stadium'. The man's impact on the game of baseball, yet alone the Yankees, isn't ever going to be matched.

they already named the Tampa field after him. They won't change the normal stadium that so they don't deemphasize the past before Steinbrenner which was where the prestige was built
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#26 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

http://yankees.lhblo...about-the-boss/

A-Rod: “In ‘04, he wrote me a handwritten wrote and it was hand-delivered by a clubhouse kid … (It said) ‘I’m counting on you’ – with capital letters and exclamation point. … And I hold this dear. We’re still playing for him.”

I'm very happy that Steinbrenner was able to witness another title before his passing. I really hope that this team can keep playing for him and deliver a title this year in his memory.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#27 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

they already named the Tampa field after him. They won't change the normal stadium that so they don't deemphasize the past before Steinbrenner which was where the prestige was built

I didn't say they needed to call themselves the New York Steinbrenners; but dedicating the stadium name to him would be much more about emphasizing the impact he had on the franchise and much less about deemphasizing the Yankee brand.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#28 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

I didn't say they needed to call themselves the New York Steinbrenners; but dedicating the stadium name to him would be much more about emphasizing the impact he had on the franchise and much less about deemphasizing the Yankee brand.

I get the feeling that George wouldn't want that. If he wanted the Yankees playing in a place called anything but Yankee Stadium, he woulda sold the naming rights for an absolute mint.

Something needs to be done, though. They've already announced the memorial patches they'll wear for George (and for Sheppard too). I imagine he'll definitely get the same Monument Park treatment Col. Ruppert got. Maybe they go the extra mile for the Boss ... with a statue outside the stadium or something?

I'm not so sure about even that, though. I mean, the Yankee franchise has somehow managed to remain bigger than any of its individual parts throughout the generations. Guys like Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle transcended the game. Guys like Babe Ruth and George Steinbrenner took it a step further and changed baseball forever. Yet none of them have anything beyond the traditional Monument Park honors. Maybe that's the way it should be.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#29 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

It is kinda crazy that the two biggest non-player/manager people to ever be associated with the Yankees in the same few days.....

It's also ironic that if George had died 15 years ago people would be partying in the streets about it like they did for Bill Wirtz

(that aside if I was an older Yankee my ass would be at the Doctor's office daily this week :P )
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#30 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

(that aside if I was an older Yankee my ass would be at the Doctor's office daily this week :P )

As soon as the news broke, one of my buddies texted me that exact sentiment regarding Yogi. They say it happens in threes ...
Posted Image

#31 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

Ew.

#32 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

Maybe they could give the new stadium an unofficial nickname. Like the old stadium was "The House that Ruth Built."

The new one could be "The House that George Built."

Posted Image

#33 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Maybe they could give the new stadium an unofficial nickname. Like the old stadium was "The House that Ruth Built."

The new one could be "The House that George Built."

Posted Image

I've actually heard it referred to as The House That George Built since before it was even completed. With time, it may catch on even more.
Posted Image

#34 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

Yeah by no means did I think I made that up. ... I do agree that something needs to be done for him. Although, since his family still owns the team, I don't know how they can do it without it looking funny. ... I'm sure somebody will think of something.

Edited by 95Crash, 14 July 2010 - 05:11 PM.

#35 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

As soon as the news broke, one of my buddies texted me that exact sentiment regarding Yogi. They say it happens in threes ...

That's exactly what I thought. God, I hope not.

As far as renaming the stadium, that's not what we would have wanted. he was all about marketing the Yankee brand and nothing does that better than Yankee Stadium it's self. plus, he was a stickler for tradition and whas said numerous times that the stadium will always be called Yankee Stadium.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Stumbled across this quote and thought it was appropriate to post here:

http://sportsillustr...obit/index.html

Along the way he (Steinbrenner) exerted his will in an indomitable fashion, displaying legendary impatience and volatility. He bought out his 13 limited partners by the end of his first decade as owner, prompting John McMullen, who later owned the Houston Astros, to say, "Nothing is more limited than being a limited partner of George's."

:lol:
Posted Image

#37 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

I get the feeling that George wouldn't want that. If he wanted the Yankees playing in a place called anything but Yankee Stadium, he woulda sold the naming rights for an absolute mint.

Something needs to be done, though. They've already announced the memorial patches they'll wear for George (and for Sheppard too). I imagine he'll definitely get the same Monument Park treatment Col. Ruppert got. Maybe they go the extra mile for the Boss ... with a statue outside the stadium or something?

I'm not so sure about even that, though. I mean, the Yankee franchise has somehow managed to remain bigger than any of its individual parts throughout the generations. Guys like Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle transcended the game. Guys like Babe Ruth and George Steinbrenner took it a step further and changed baseball forever. Yet none of them have anything beyond the traditional Monument Park honors. Maybe that's the way it should be.

This. Steinbrenner would be turning over in his grave if they named the stadium after him. I'm pretty sure George is the kind of guy that would be happy with no other name but "Yankee Stadium"

Also, I was at last wednesday's Yankees-Angels game and Michael Kay (I think it was Kay because I saw it in CC on the screen in the box I was in) told a funny story about George:

When Lou Pinella first became part of the team, he came to meet with George in his office. George told him that he had to cut his hair. Lou P said that Jesus Christ had long hair so he didn't understand what was wrong with having it. George then pointed to a picture in his office of a body of water and said, "When you can walk on that, you can have long hair." :D

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#38 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

George Steinbrenner found out today that you can buy championships...but you can't buy your way into heaven.

Classless. I'm not saying George was a saint but a LOT of peoples lives have been changed for the better through his charity over the years. He wasn't always the most lovable, but he was definitely the most entertaining. He was a baseball owner like no other.

The thing that pisses me off the most in the MLB is owners that receive all that money from the revenue sharing, and luxary tax... pocket it, then the very next week whine about how the Yankees are allowed to spend too much money. George was a man who considered winning above all else as the bottom line. He wasn't perfect but god fvcking dammit he had the same mentality of a fan... he wanted to win, and he wanted it now. When you have a smart owner on a team like that great things happen.

So take your Steinbrenner hate and go fvck yourself. he was not a selfish SOB like most baseball owners. Piss on thier ashes when they die not his.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users