37 replies to this topic

#1 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

Wow RIP, didn't see this coming. What a legend.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#2 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

He was 80 and hasnt been seen in public in a few years now. I cant say its a shock, but its definitely a surprise considering the timing.

The all-star game and the rest of the Yankees season will be very interesting.

#3 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

I was absolutely shocked when I heard this when I woke up this morning. He was no doubt one of the most influential people in the history of baseball. I still kind of don't believe it.

RIP

Edited by nyrsuck26, 13 July 2010 - 09:51 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

Rest in peace. One of the biggest influences on tri-state sports. For better or worse he will be remembered as a driving force behind the Yankees amd MLB in general.

#5 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Simply the best. God Bless You George. RIP

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#6 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Right on the heels of Sheppard. Wow! What a week for the Yankee fans.

Obviously he's a huge figure in Yankees history, but if I'm remembering this correctly, he's even bigger because of how he bought the team when New York was in a Newark-like decline and chose to keep them there when others thought they should relocate. That was probably a very propitious moment for the city as a whole.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#7 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

RIP George. You really were the best owner on the planet. Thanks for the 7 trophies while you were here. No better way to go out then on the heels of the 2009 title. Thanks George, for everything
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#8 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,821 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

George Steinbrenner found out today that you can buy championships...but you can't buy your way into heaven.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

George Steinbrenner found out today that you can buy championships...but you can't buy your way into heaven.

You are a pathetic human being. So in two separate threads about people dying, you have made fun of them/insulted them. I'm looking very much forward to the "'7' has died today =[ " thread started, so I can post a " :rofl: " smiley face in it. I hope you get fvcked by an AIDS dick so you can die slowly.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#10 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Yeah he was a terrible person, ignore the fact that he donated millions of dollars to various charities throughout his life and the only condition it carried was that it was anonymous :rolleyes:

RIP George

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#11 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

Yeah he was a terrible person, ignore the fact that he donated millions of dollars to various charities throughout his life and the only condition it carried was that it was anonymous :rolleyes:

RIP George

he also took care of all the old players, giving them jobs in spring training and making sure they were alright. One of a kind
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#12 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

This post certainly isn't necessary but anyways: you can't blame Steinbrenner for "buying" championships. It's not against the rules to spend a sh!tload of money if you can. Anyone in his position would have done the same thing. It's the MLB in general that is a joke for not implementing rules against it.

Edited by ben00rs, 13 July 2010 - 11:45 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#13 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

RIP George. Even coming from a Mets fan he was one of the best (if not the best) GM/owners in all of baseball history. Yankees Org., team, and fans are really being hit with sadness this week. First sheppard then the boss. definitley class act. just one of a kind. RIP.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#14 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

This is probably the most unclassy things I have ever seen or heard written or spoken.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

Don't feed the :troll1:

R.I.P. George thanks for the joy you have given us Yankee fans over the years.

#16 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

I am not an admirer of George Steinbrenner, but I can watch this over and over. RIP.

#17 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

"If you do something good for someone and more than one person knows about it, you did it for the wrong reason." - George Steinbrenner

R.I.P.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#18 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

First Shep, now The Boss. I am quite saddened by his death. As a life long Yankees fan (I go back to '76), life was never boring when George was in the papers. That said, he bought passion and the Yankees back to the top of the baseball world. God Bless you George.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

Interesting note from TG:

Lamoriello revealed that Steinbrenner watched Game 7 of the Devils’ Stanley Cup win over Anaheim on television from his office at the Meadowlands. Lamoriello said Steinbrenner attended a few Devils’ games during the YankeeNets-Puck Holdings years, but didn’t want to draw attention to himself, so he did not sit in the crowd.

“He wasn’t public,” Lamoriello said. ‘He didn’t go to a lot (of Devils’ games), but he was there for our seventh game. He did things like that because he wanted to not because of publicity. He was never afraid to say what he thought, which is what I admired about him.”

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#20 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

RIP George Steinbrenner

Thanks for restoring the Yankee legacy and commitment to excellence. No owner in the history of sports wanted to win more than you. Heart of a champion. True Yankee legend. You will be missed.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users