25 replies to this topic

#1 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

I went to Target last night and they were selling for 9.99 a box of mixed hockey cards from random years. I decided to buy one and found numerous old devils like Aaron Broten, Patrick Sundstrom, Eric Weinrich...etc

The coolest thing was that one card in it was autographed by Zigmund Palffy. This was the actual card and its worth 15 bucks in Beckett's price guide. Most probably dont really care but I just wanted to share with you this story haha

Posted Image

#2 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

Huh, pretty cool. I wonder if all Targets are doing that. I'd drop 10 bucks on some possible collectors items.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#3 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

They have a sports card section close to the registers. I have two near my house and I know one of them was selling them. One came with 300 cards and another came with like 200 cards.

#4 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

Ah buying little packs of cards...

brings me back to the days of bugging parents into buying me pokemon cards. Man the money my family must've wasted on those things...good times, good times

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#5 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

I was mildly interested in hockey cards for a couple of years back around 92-93. They are a lot of money for what they are and got a lot of repeats.

I heard the sports collectibles, especially cards (whether it be hockey, baseball, etc) have gone way down in value. Not the best time if you are looking to make a quick buck but if you are just a collector, then have fun and hope you get good stuff.

#6 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

Ah buying little packs of cards...

brings me back to the days of bugging parents into buying me pokemon cards. Man the money my family must've wasted on those things...good times, good times

i still love doing it hahaa... i like how i got an anton volchenkov card and an ilya kovalchuk card in the same pack ... maybe its an omen :pray:

I was mildly interested in hockey cards for a couple of years back around 92-93. They are a lot of money for what they are and got a lot of repeats.

I heard the sports collectibles, especially cards (whether it be hockey, baseball, etc) have gone way down in value. Not the best time if you are looking to make a quick buck but if you are just a collector, then have fun and hope you get good stuff.

yea i definitely agree with you. i am holding on to all of my cards and autographs of all sports and hopefully one day pass them along to my kids if i ever get married :rolleyes:

#7 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

i still love doing it hahaa... i like how i got an anton volchenkov card and an ilya kovalchuk card in the same pack ... maybe its an omen :pray:

That's too funny. It's definitely gotta be a good sign :evil:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#8 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

Did they come with the ultra hard stick of gum? cool find

#9 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

one did but it was from a pack from 1991 and i wasnt brave enough to try it

#10 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

That was always the best part. I don't care if a T206 Honus Wagner card was somehow mixed in there, I just wanted that friggin gum.

#11 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

That's too funny. It's definitely gotta be a good sign :evil:

ugh never mind.... i got a vladimir malakhov devils card in another one :blink:

#12 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

At Target I got an O-Pee-Chee pack with an autographed throwback Darryl Sittler card from the 80s. Pretty awesome.

#13 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

At Target I got an O-Pee-Chee pack with an autographed throwback Darryl Sittler card from the 80s. Pretty awesome.

nice :koolaid:

#14 DEV1LDR1VER

DEV1LDR1VER

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

I've been buying cards the last few years, but have been completing UD sets. Don't know if I would have picked up that box. But finding some old Devils cards is kinda cool. Makes me re-think passing up a cheap offer like that.
LIVE HARD!

#15 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

ugh never mind.... i got a vladimir malakhov devils card in another one :blink:

.... :doh1:

believe-ll.jpg

#16 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

There's a .99 store in my town (Bayonne) that sells like 10 packs of cards. Got some pretty good rookie cards in there. I got hedberg!!! haha.
Devils.

#17 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

I use to try to collect every UD Devils card... but it got expensive...
I now have a lot of good Devils cards Im most likely going to sell eventually...

Now I'm just a Young Guns collector and have every Parise rookie card greater than /10.
His rc's are going through the roof too, so I more than made my money back (even buying the harder ones for $200+)

Like I said in another one... this one has just gone insane in pricing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even a cheap MVP rookie card if you have the right one :)

Posted Image

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#18 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

I use to try to collect every UD Devils card... but it got expensive...
I now have a lot of good Devils cards Im most likely going to sell eventually...

Now I'm just a Young Guns collector and have every Parise rookie card greater than /10.
His rc's are going through the roof too, so I more than made my money back (even buying the harder ones for $200+)

Like I said in another one... this one has just gone insane in pricing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even a cheap MVP rookie card if you have the right one :)

Posted Image

how much are they valued as now?

i would totally buy any if you ever are looking to sell

#19 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

my ex got me a Marty rookie card this past holiday. she found it in Okinawa on the big airforce base...mint condition...i don't think the people knew it had any significance.
it blew my mind...pretty cool surprise.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#20 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

my ex got me a Marty rookie card this past holiday. she found it in Okinawa on the big airforce base...mint condition...i don't think the people knew it had any significance.
it blew my mind...pretty cool surprise.

thats pretty cool :dance:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users