124 replies to this topic

#101 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:12 PM

There are plenty of posters here and on other boards who know plenty and aren't arrogant about it.

Want an example? Derek. Or how bout the guy you just complemented zero.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#102 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:28 AM

The Kovalchuk proposal: hardly blockbuster.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#103 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:17 PM

The Kovalchuk proposal: hardly blockbuster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the hell do you call two firsts and a future star goaltender. Altanta didn't even touch it either. Kovalchuk wasn't hyped up all that much going into the draft, he was only slightly ahead of Spezza in the rankings. Crosby is different story and some team will offer something greater then that Montreal package.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#104 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:33 PM

A spare goalie and two prospects? No wonder Atlanta didn't want it.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#105 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

A spare goalie and two prospects?  No wonder Atlanta didn't want it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess Ryan Miller is a spare goaltender and adding Vanek and a 1st are just two prospects for Brule, which is a better comparison. :rolleyes:

#106 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:14 PM

I posted something on the wrong site....lol

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 03 March 2005 - 03:49 PM.

#107 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:13 PM

A spare goalie and two prospects?  No wonder Atlanta didn't want it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theo was considered a goalie with a lot of potential still. Goalies don't reach their potential till later in their lives and GM's know that. Hainsey was hyped up an incredible amount, some made pronger comparisons, and a first round draft pick from montreal is nothing to scoff at, considering how much the team was struggling at the time.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#108 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:49 PM

I think Zero's got it right. I think the perception around the Internet back in 2000 or 2001 was that Theodore was plateauing. This is because he hadn't yet earned the starting job. However, he did impress by beating the Devils in triple-overtime in 1997. I think a lot of people expected him to be starting by that point. I'm not so sure Hackett was a 'stopgap'; I read a lot of posts in 2000 and 2001 on the HF boards that purported Hackett as a top 10 goaltender.

When goalies or defensemen don't progress from the minors or don't progress perceptibly from 20 to 23, most people write off their superstar potential. It is usually a mistake to do so, especially in today's NHL.

Edited by Triumph, 03 March 2005 - 06:49 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#109 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:55 PM

I had Theodore in a fantasy hockey league that I won in '00. He had a remarkable finish to that season after Hackett went down. He was definitely on the rise and that might be why the Canadiens thought he had value. They had Garon in their system to fall back on.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#110 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,855 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:21 PM

FYI - the Admins just changed Zero's title. Kinda late, but as the Lightning, he gets to keep the title for another year. :P
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#111 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

So, no trivia until the game comes back? I was kind of wondering where you were going to find new questions. You covered a lot of history.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#112 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,855 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:53 PM

So, no trivia until the game comes back? I was kind of wondering where you were going to find new questions. You covered a lot of history.

Not enough traffic to make it worth it. But I have an awesome source of new questions. I got this for Christmas:
http://www.soyouthin...knowhockey.com/

#113 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,585 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:59 PM

Well, if you *do* end up doing a contest, I'm sure I could scrounge up a few prizes again. :)

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#114 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,855 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:04 PM

BTW - if you go to the sample cards, just try the last card. I was just rhyming them off the first few cards and then I hit that one. Including the junior question, I got 2 on the whole card.

#115 Zero

Zero

NJDevs Trivia Champ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

I had Theodore in a fantasy hockey league that I won in '00. He had a remarkable finish to that season after Hackett went down. He was definitely on the rise and that might be why the Canadiens thought he had value. They had Garon in their system to fall back on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theodore has also played extremely well at the Worlds for Canada in 2000.

#116 Zero

Zero

NJDevs Trivia Champ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

FYI - the Admins just changed Zero's title. Kinda late, but as the Lightning, he gets to keep the title for another year. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooo, I'm special. :P

There should be a special "boring lockout edition trivia" with Qs like: Who was the NHLPA president in 94? How many teams claim they lost money in 04? Where was Arthur Levitt born? Where does Gary Bettman buy his ties? Etc.

OK maybe not. ;)

Edited by Zero, 03 March 2005 - 09:23 PM.

#117 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

Not enough traffic to make it worth it. But I have an awesome source of new questions. I got this for Christmas:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like a great site.

#118 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:54 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That certinately made up for your Jimmy Waite Free Agent move the year before :lol: :lol:

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#119 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:36 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Went 7 for 7 in current or just lapsed contest. I assume they make the contest questions easy. Are the game questions tougher?

Edited by Rock, 04 March 2005 - 10:37 AM.

Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#120 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:25 AM

I think Zero's got it right.  I think the perception around the Internet back in 2000 or 2001 was that Theodore was plateauing.  This is because he hadn't yet earned the starting job.  However, he did impress by beating the Devils in triple-overtime in 1997.  I think a lot of people expected him to be starting by that point.  I'm not so sure Hackett was a 'stopgap'; I read a lot of posts in 2000 and 2001 on the HF boards that purported Hackett as a top 10 goaltender. 

When goalies or defensemen don't progress from the minors or don't progress perceptibly from 20 to 23, most people write off their superstar potential.  It is usually a mistake to do so, especially in today's NHL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also heard people claiming Markov was a top 10 defensmen in the league after his big year. Not that a statment like that holds any value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users