29 replies to this topic

#1 trailblazer

trailblazer

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:17 PM

I really like the direction Vanderbeek is taking this franchise.

Two comments that stick out to me:

One fan query involved the Devils' chances of hosting an All-Star Game or participating in a Winter Classic. Said Vanderbeek: “We will absolutely get both.”

The completion of the Marriott would help pave the way for an All-Star Weekend at Prudential Center, which Vanderbeek said the Devils have been promised. As for the Winter Classic: “It’s just a matter of time. The Winter Classic will be in the Tri-State area, and it will not be in the Tri-State area without the Devils participating.”

Edited by trailblazer, 28 July 2010 - 11:18 PM.

#2 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

The all star game? great! the winter classic? we'll only get it if we play the ranjerks or (maybe) philly, especially if Bettman gets his way. He'll be pissed when he loses the Kovy war and will be looking for payback

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#3 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

I really like the direction Vanderbeek is taking this franchise.

Two comments that stick out to me:

One fan query involved the Devils' chances of hosting an All-Star Game or participating in a Winter Classic. Said Vanderbeek: “We will absolutely get both.”

The completion of the Marriott would help pave the way for an All-Star Weekend at Prudential Center, which Vanderbeek said the Devils have been promised. As for the Winter Classic: “It’s just a matter of time. The Winter Classic will be in the Tri-State area, and it will not be in the Tri-State area without the Devils participating.”

an all-star game would be great to have in nj. nj should be seriously considered especially since we will be hosting a super bowl

#4 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

The all star game? great! the winter classic? we'll only get it if we play the ranjerks or (maybe) philly, especially if Bettman gets his way. He'll be pissed when he loses the Kovy war and will be looking for payback

It's not like NBC and the sponsors have any say in who plays in the outdoor classic right? It's always about the black helicopters, while ignoring that the Devils just don't have the national draw of the Rags or Flyers.

#5 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

We should have a poll "Who would you want to play in the winter classic"

#6 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

Devils vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium. It's only a matter of time.

And I'm kinda hoping the All-Star Game is held off on until Triangle Park gets done.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#7 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

I admire his ambition, but:

There is no way NBC agrees to have a non-media market team like the Devils in the Winter Classic, nor would they schedule a game that appeals only to the NY market.

More likely it will be Rangers vs Boston, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Minny, or even LA.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#8 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

Manta,

I think what you would see is two games on the day one East Coast and one west coast. I could defintely see a Devils vs. Rangers or Philly. Personally I think they could go lots of different ways with it, just a matter of what draw they think they could get for both TV and in the stands.

#9 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

Devils vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium. It's only a matter of time.

And I'm kinda hoping the All-Star Game is held off on until Triangle Park gets done.

They have to wait for that hotel to be done, too. I can see the Devils getting an All-Star game, but I'm thinking it won't be for another 4-5 years. I mean hell, we haven't had one in 26 years. We are due.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#10 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

2008 WC - 2.6/5
2009 WC - 2.9/6 (4.4M avg viewers)
2010 WC - 2.6/?

The Devils and Rangers have a legitimate rivalry (see 2009 WC).

No reason, especially if Avery and Brodeur are still playing, that we can't be in it.

Devils-Rangers
New Jersey v New York
Brodeur v Lundqvist
Brodeur v Avery
Kovalchuk v Avery
Kovalchuk v Gaborik
Zach Parise

5 playoff series worth of history the last 20 years

#11 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,599 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

If Kovy's contract is upheld, NBC almost has to have the Devils in the WC before Brodeur retires. Especially if Kovy kicks his game up a notch and seriously challenges for the league's scoring title. If NBC can't market a Devils team with Brodeur, Elias, Parise, and Kovalchuk for the freakin' Winter Classic, they need to get out of the sports business forever.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#12 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,343 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

ok -- not to be all Mogilny on you all -- but this thread reeks of self-gratification - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Vanderbeek is talking out of his ass. His money isn't that well spoken in chorus with all the other owners :evil:

I'm here for the party

#13 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

They have to wait for that hotel to be done, too. I can see the Devils getting an All-Star game, but I'm thinking it won't be for another 4-5 years. I mean hell, we haven't had one in 26 years. We are due.

For some reason, I was under the impression the hotel was already under construction. :doh1: Yeah, the hotel is the most important thing.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#14 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

2008 WC - 2.6/5
2010 WC - 2.6/?

No reason, especially if Avery and Brodeur are still playing, that we can't be in it.

Devils-Rangers
New Jersey v New York
Brodeur v Lundqvist
Brodeur v Avery
Kovalchuk v Avery
Kovalchuk v Gaborik
Zach Parise

Why did you have to remind us?

#15 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

2008 WC - 2.6/5
2010 WC - 2.6/?

Devils-Rangers
New Jersey v New York
Brodeur v Lundqvist
Brodeur v Avery
Kovalchuk v Avery
Kovalchuk v Gaborik
Zach Parise

I can't wait for the NBC Promos full of Matteau goals.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#16 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

If Kovy's contract is upheld, NBC almost has to have the Devils in the WC before Brodeur retires. Especially if Kovy kicks his game up a notch and seriously challenges for the league's scoring title. If NBC can't market a Devils team with Brodeur, Elias, Parise, and Kovalchuk for the freakin' Winter Classic, they need to get out of the sports business forever.

Kovy is insignificant and makes no difference. Brodeur is a bigger draw, but the fact remains New Jersey is NOT a media market, you will see Buffalo in another WC before you see the Devils or the Sharks for that matter. Its a media market/ratings decision.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#17 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Buffalo v X

is a greater TV draw than

Devils v Rangers?

You have a KNOWN quantity here.

Pittsburgh v Buffalo was a crapshoot and people put it up there as one of the most memorable post-lockout moments BECAUSE IT WAS SNOWING.

the game was boring...hell 2 out of the 3 were awful hockey games.

if Devils v Rangers WC couldnt surpass a 2.6, neither should be on NBC ever.

Edited by njdevsfn95, 29 July 2010 - 10:28 AM.

#18 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

I think I would drop a FORTUNE to be at a devils WC game. That'd just be an amazing experience.

And yeah, I mean, it'd have to happen before brodeur retires.

Edited by Devsfan118, 29 July 2010 - 10:40 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#19 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

Buffalo v X

Devils v Rangers?

Pittsburgh v Buffalo was a crapshoot and people put it up there as one of the most memorable post-lockout moments BECAUSE IT WAS SNOWING.

Even in the NY Metro area Devils/Rangers is not even a top sports story. Its a know quantity to a small audience.

NBC is not going to risk damaging the WC franchise to a non-media market team like NJ-Anaheim-San Jose.

They will try to draw from the greatest potential pool of sports viewers
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#20 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

Buffalo v X

Devils v Rangers?

Even in the NY Metro area Devils/Rangers is not even a top sports story. Its a know quantity to a small audience.

NBC is not going to risk damaging the WC franchise to a non-media market team like NJ-Anaheim-San Jose.

They will try to draw from the greatest potential pool of sports viewers
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users