#1 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

http://www.vancouver...8778/story.html

"The apparent purpose of this evidence is to suggest that the League's concern is late blooming and/or inconsistent. Several responses are in order: First, while the contracts have, in fact, been registered, their structure has not escaped League notice: those SPCs [standard player's contracts] are being investigated currently with at least the possibility of a subsequent withdrawal of the registration."

Canuck general manager Mike Gillis confirmed in an email to the Vancouver Sun Monday night that the league is indeed studying Luongo's 12-year, $64 million contract.

"We have complied with the NHL request for information and are awaiting further instructions," Gillis said. "Cannot say anything further at this point."
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#2 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

Nothing's going to happen.

#3 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

Nothing's going to happen.

Probably correct.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#4 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

cute attempt by nhl to say oh we are doing it to everyone, but luongo's contract turns out to be just fine.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#5 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

cute attempt by nhl to say oh we are doing it to everyone, but luongo's contract turns out to be just fine.

I agree this is all just posturing from the NHL to make it seem even handed.

What a joke.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#6 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

Next, just to show the world how impartial the NHL really is, they're going to investigate the Hossa contract and deem it acceptable, only after 2 weeks of pretending to sit in a conference room with paid analysts(while instead they'll be eating cotton candy at disney world).

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#7 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

This is...more insulting than gratifying

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#8 run_to_the_ditch

run_to_the_ditch

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

This is why Bettman is a joke. Go back to basketball!!!

Just to save face he is going to have the league "review" Luongo's contract after it's been registered. Seriously what legal grounds do they have if they did find something wrong (which they wont unless he wants to have a player walkout on his stellar resume as well) within Luongo's contract. The NHL REGISTERED it. Now they want to go back and say...well we need to review it again to make sure everything is A-OK after we originally said yeah we looked it over, its all good.
Obviously we now see that the NHL...the game we love is run by a bunch of corporate baboons.
"Actually I dont remeber being born, it must have happened during one of my blackouts." Jim Morrison

#9 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

I consider myself a Devils fan. I no longer consider myself an NHL fan.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#10 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

I've been thinking about that a lot lately - how do I support my team and still not support the league?

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#11 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

I've been thinking about that a lot lately - how do I support my team and still not support the league?

Easy; boo the absolute sh!t outa gary. :lol:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#12 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

I doubt much comes of this but I'd laugh.
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#13 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,996 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

So you're like half the people on the forum now. If this whole thing turns you off from being an NHL fan, you probably weren't much of a fan to begin with.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#14 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Interesting. Think they'll go after any of the big city teams like Philly or Chicago or Boston?
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#15 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

This is a joke and Bettman is a fool.

Do NOT insult my intelligence with this crap.

They've got to make this look like it's all above board and they have to say that they have to make sure these bloody contracts are legit, when they've been registered and approved in the past.

Absolutely NOTHING is going to happen to Luoungo's, Hossa's, and Pronger's, and Keith's contracts and they know it.

The NHL has been exposed and it's not pretty.

Kovalchuk and the Devils were the ones to take the fall and I feel sorry for the organization.

It's going to be fun watching what happens when the next CBA fight comes up.

I'll say more about this later.

:soap:

Edited by IceThief, 10 August 2010 - 04:12 PM.

In honor of one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game, I remain to this day and forever after a lifetime member of the Scott Stevens Fan Club:

"If you ever had to describe what a Devil player would be," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, "the name would be Scott Stevens."

"He was just huge," Devils left wing Patrik Elias said of walking into training camp the first time in 1995. "I was afraid of him. You had a 170-pound guy coming here and he was 220, 225 with these paws like a bear. I was pretty intimidated the first few years. I'm happy he was on my side the whole time."

#16 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

it looks like bettman and the nhl are back to their old tricks but this doesnt look as serious

#17 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Ringmaster Gary and his salary-cap circus. This is absurd.

#18 MartysGlove

MartysGlove

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Blackhawk's cup should be stripped following Bloch's award.

42 vs 43
93.6% vs 96%

CBA outlines that any games where the player in question played could be forfeited, so I fully expect (if the League wants to make more of a joke of themselves yet be fair and consistent), that there will be no Stanley Cup winner for the 2009-2010 season.

#19 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

So you're like half the people on the forum now. If this whole thing turns you off from being an NHL fan, you probably weren't much of a fan to begin with.

I've been a fan of hockey since I was 7... I'm 37 now. However, the increasing contract sizes (and commensurate ticket prices), the way cities have been held hostage to build new stadiums with our tax dollars (meaning we pay twice btw and with the economy in the sh!tter most of these stadiums are still on the books!), the hockey lockout, Bettman's gutting of hockey tradition and moving teams away from Canada and the northern USA, etc. has eroded my love of the NHL per se. I'm still a Devils fan, and I was a Devils fan even before there really was a Devils (read my bio), but don't tell me that having said "enough is enough" makes me less of a fan. Just because you're the sort of fan who apparently doesn't mind repeatedly being shafted, does this mean you are a better fan or something?

As an aside, I'm not saying that hockey is the only sport guilty of these excesses--absolutely not. What pisses me off and makes me literally hate Buttman is that the NHL, once upon a time, was the only major sport that committed few, if any, of these let's call them 'sports sins'. That day is gone now. Thanks Gary. Go away Gary.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#20 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Who made the decision to investigate this contract? Was it actually Bettman?

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users