• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 12:22 PM

According to TSN.ca:

Heatley facing new charge in Snyder death
TSN.ca Staff
10/6/2003

Atlanta Thrashers forward Dany Heatley will face new charges in connection with an accident last week which led to the death of teammate Dan Snyder.

Snyder died Sunday night from massive brain injuries sustained six days ago in the crash.

The district attorney's office in Atlanta has advised police to lay a charge of vehicular homicide in the first degree against Heatley. He will also be asked to post a $50,000 bond in the case.

The new charge carries with it a prison term of three to 15 years. A plea bargain to the lesser charge of second-degree vehicular homicide, a misdemeanor, is also possible.

Heatley was facing a felony charge of serious injury by vehicle and three other misdemeanours.

Police said Heatley was driving his Ferrari at about 130 kilometres an hour on a narrow two-lane road last Monday night when he lost control, spun off the road and smashed into a brick and wrought iron fence. The car split in half and the players were thrown into the road

Investigators expect to know this week the results of blood tests, which will determine if alcohol was a factor in the crash.

Heatley's agent said last week that alcohol was not a factor in the accident.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...339&hubName=nhl

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#2 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:05 PM

Almost needless to say, Hockey is the least important thing in Heatley's life now.
He will need a lot of support & help in dealing with this tragedy.
Snyder's passing will not allow Heatley to express his sorrow and regret.
His life and career are at such a crossroads, I just hope he has those people around him to keep him strong and not let his life be wasted also.

Wow, it's amazing to me that the "hitting a fixed object" was a felony.
Or maybe the factors of speed & carelessness upped it to a felony.
I guess the Georgia driving laws are very tough.

Multiple felony charges is not something that gets community service as a sentence. I cannot see him getting just probation if the laws on the books are that tough. It looks certain now that he will spend some time behind bars.

Tragic.
And the loss to the Snyder family is without limits.

#3 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:08 PM

I don't understand the b.s. about whether he had been drinking or not. It does not take 2 weeks to get a blood alcohol test result.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#4 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:14 PM

Two things, if he had been drunk, or even legally drunk I'm sure thay would have publicly announced it already.

Looks like the Felony for serious injury gets increased to manslaughter, so there is only one felony charge pending, with possible reduction to a Misdemeanor.
But I would be very surprised if there was no jail time either way.

Ugh, the more I think about this the more tragic it gets.

#5 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:15 PM

Multiple felony charges is not something that gets community service as a sentence. I cannot see him getting just probation if the laws on the books are that tough. It looks certain now that he will spend some time behind bars.

Tragic.
And the loss to the Snyder family is without limits.

Heatley was facing a felony charge of serious injury by vehicle and three other misdemeanours. This is what the felony was for...not for hitting a fixed object.

Edited by StarDew, 06 October 2003 - 01:15 PM.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#6 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:15 PM

It wasn't (and probably still isn't) multiple felony charges. He originally had just one felony charge of "serious injury by vehicle".
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#7 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:17 PM

I don't understand the b.s. about whether he had been drinking or not. It does not take 2 weeks to get a blood alcohol test result.

I talked to somebody about that, and they said it's quite possible to take four weeks, but also very likely they know the results and they just choose not to make them public.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#8 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:18 PM

If he was Driving Under the Influence.......he's screwed.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#9 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:18 PM

It wasn't (and probably still isn't) multiple felony charges. He originally had just one felony charge of "serious injury by vehicle".

Which has reportedly been upgraded to vehicular manslaughter 1, with a possible downgrade to vehicular manslaughter 2 which is just a misdemeanor.

Somehow i would not be suprised if it is indeed downgraded, with a plea bargain involving lots of public service and heavy fines.

Edited by Sarge18, 06 October 2003 - 01:19 PM.

"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#10 ladyshrouds

ladyshrouds

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 04:41 PM

This article was previously posted in which it stated:
http://www.tsn.ca/nh...659&hubName=nhl

"Heatley was required to give blood samples to be tested for drugs and alcohol, which is standard practice for accidents of this nature, but early reports suggest that Heatley's blood/alcohol level was .02 percent - far below the legal allowance."

This article was dated 9/30/2003

hmmm...... :blink:

Edited by ladyshrouds, 06 October 2003 - 04:42 PM.

#11 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 05:08 PM

Which has reportedly been upgraded to vehicular manslaughter 1, with a possible downgrade to vehicular manslaughter 2 which is just a misdemeanor.

Somehow i would not be suprised if it is indeed downgraded, with a plea bargain involving lots of public service and heavy fines.

When Craig McTavish was convicted of 1st degree VM and served a year he was legally drunk...which, no doubt, is why they managed to get the felony conviction on him in the first place.

Although I think some time in jail might actually scare the sh!t out of Heatley, if he was sober they probably won't go for any.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#12 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 09:36 PM

According to Yahoo! Sports:

NHL star Heatley charged with vehicular homicide
October 6, 2003

ATLANTA, United States (AFP) - Atlanta Thrashers ice hockey star Dany Heatley was charged with first degree vehicular homicide in the death of teammate Dan Snyder, Atlanta police spokesman John Quigley said.

A prison sentence between three and 15 years is possible on the new charge. In all, Heatley could spend 19 years in prison if convicted of all charges now facing him.

Snyder, 25, died from injuries suffered in a high-speed car crash. He was a passenger in Heatley's Ferrari on September 29 when it struck a pillar and brick wall in a suburban neighborhood.

Police said the vehicle was moving at nearly 130 km/h (80 mph).

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard asked for charges to be upgraded Monday against Heatley in the wake of Snyder's death, prosecutor's office spokesman Erik Friedly said.

Howard is awaiting the results of a blood test on Heatley to determine if drug and alcohol content levels before putting the case to a grand jury. Those results are expected by the end of the week.

Heatley, 22, was originally charged with reckless driving, serious injury by vehicle, driving too fast for the conditions, driving on the wrong side of the road and striking a fixed object, police said.

The serious injury charge was dropped in favor of the more severe homicide charge, but the four misdemeanor charges remain, each punishable by a maximum of one year in prison.

Heatley has posted a 50,000-dollar bond. He remains hospitalized at St. Jospeh's Hospital.

Police were awaiting the official cause of Snyder's death from Fulton County medical examiners, with a report expected to be issued later Monday.

Heatley was expected to make his first appearance in court on Friday, the same day Snyder is to be buried in Canada. The rest of the Thrashers team was expected to attend Snyder's funeral.

Heatley, who suffered a broken jaw and torn right knee ligaments, was named Most Valuable Player of this year's NHL All-Star Game and led the Thrashers with a club-record 41 goals last season.

http://sports.yahoo....v=afp&type=lgns

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users