• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 yanksdevs

yanksdevs

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Hey guys, i'm new to this site. I was wondering if someone can help me. I will be going to school in Buffalo in a couple of weeks and would like to know what the best way is to watch Devils games. I am aware of Slingbox and Center Ice but I don't really know much about either. Which one do you think is better? Are there any other options available?

#2 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

I have never used a slingbox so I really cant help you there. By center ice do you mena the cable package or the internet version? I have had the cable version since 2002 and it is fantastic (other than comcast not offering HD games). The only problem is you would have to pay a cable bill every month. This year will be my first year getting the internet package cuz I am done with cable.

#3 yanksdevs

yanksdevs

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

Yea I was talking about the internet version because I will be staying in a dorm. I'm leaning towards the slingbox but I'd only be using it for msg and msg+ which kinda seems like a waste to me. I don't know how good the picture quality is on Center Ice and I heard they have a lot of "Blackouts" in the Buffalo area, I have no idea what that means, but it sounds bad.

#4 Bullshockey247

Bullshockey247

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

I have NHL game center online for my dorm in Boston. It's great if you're going to watch other games besides just the Devils (I do during intermissions and the west coast games)... the downside is that you can't pick the feed you're watching and usually its not the Devils' and they don't show pre/post game shows or intermission reports.
Sources also confirm that there is no one left in Canada who can remember when hockey was a simple game, played for fun.

#5 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

I have NHL game center online for my dorm in Boston. It's great if you're going to watch other games besides just the Devils (I do during intermissions and the west coast games)... the downside is that you can't pick the feed you're watching and usually its not the Devils' and they don't show pre/post game shows or intermission reports.

Do they still black out Bruins games? SOmeone was telling me they don't do that anymore but I don't really believe them/

#6 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,815 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

Slingbox is amazing if you can get someone back home to watch what you want to watch on it, I have one and i love it... but I'd say you're better off with the CI deal personally
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#7 Bullshockey247

Bullshockey247

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Do they still black out Bruins games? SOmeone was telling me they don't do that anymore but I don't really believe them/

Yea I'm pretty sure they're still blacked out
Sources also confirm that there is no one left in Canada who can remember when hockey was a simple game, played for fun.

#8 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Center Ice is good...but the blackouts get annoying. My buddy got the internet package to watch Pens games, but they were blacked out online even though we are in the Cleveland area and the Pens aren't even on tv. Now he just sticks to the "illegal" streams.
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 yanksdevs

yanksdevs

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

Yea I did that last year to watch the flyer games but the quality was horrible. I dont think I can watch the Devils games like that. However it is A LOT cheaper. I'm assuming the picture quality would be much better on slingbox or gamecenter, but I'll see how it goes.

#10 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

Anybody know when Gamecenter goes on sale?

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#11 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

Well if you're cheap like me, you can typically find the games being streamed online for free. I mean, it's a gamble obviously, sometimes the feeds won't load, lag like hell, etc.

But I'm at Rutgers, so I only used the streams for games that were on MSG++ or VS, maybe 15 games max. Only had problems with 2-3 games tops. I could send you the sites I used if you're interested.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know the legal issues involved when watching a streamed game. So, watch at your own risk I guess :giggle:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#12 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Yea I was talking about the internet version because I will be staying in a dorm. I'm leaning towards the slingbox but I'd only be using it for msg and msg+ which kinda seems like a waste to me. I don't know how good the picture quality is on Center Ice and I heard they have a lot of "Blackouts" in the Buffalo area, I have no idea what that means, but it sounds bad.

i had center ice for the past 2 years when i lived in buffalo, never lose a devils game unless it was on versus, NHL network or they were playing the sabres.

where are you going to college in buffalo, UB?

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#13 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

Coincidently, I just ordered a slingbox last week so that I could watch the Devs, Yanks, and Giants while I'm out at school (Penn St.). What sold me to slingbox is the fact that there is no type of subscription. It costs $300 for the equipment for the HD slingbox (I think it was something like $180 for standard def.) and that's it. (Well, if you want to watch on your smartphone (works on most OS's) the app costs another $30, but of course that is optional.)

Something that you definitely need to research if you want the slingbox is how much upload bandwidth you have at your house, and how much download bandwidth you will be allowed at school, because slingbox does use a lot of bandwidth and if you don't have a good amount, the internet at your house will run slow while you use it. And you can easily run over your bandwidth limits (assuming your school has bandwidth limits) by over using the slingbox.

I'll let you know how well it actually works when it comes in next week.

Edited by nyrsuck26, 11 August 2010 - 03:46 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

Something that you definitely need to research if you want the slingbox is how much upload bandwidth you have at your house, and how much download bandwidth you will be allowed at school, because slingbox does use a lot of bandwidth and if you don't have a good amount, the internet at your house will run slow while you use it. And you can easily run over your bandwidth limits (assuming your school has bandwidth limits) by over using the slingbox.

This is a great point. Depends on the university obviously, but, for me personally, slingbox was outa the question with a pretty low bandwidth limit. Definitely look into it

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#15 PattyElias26

PattyElias26

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

aren't most of the games on versus or nhl network?
Posted Image of Devils Fans in Caps Country Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

aren't most of the games on versus or nhl network?

If by "most" you mean 4, then yes, most of our games are on versus and the nhl network.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#17 PattyElias26

PattyElias26

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

If by "most" you mean 4, then yes, most of our games are on versus and the nhl network.

I just moved to VA, I used to just watch them online at school. so where are most of the games aired and when I get them down here you think?

#18 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

I just moved to VA, I used to just watch them online at school. so where are most of the games aired and when I get them down here you think?

They aren't. Most games for teams are shown in their local areas, so the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders are shown only in NJ/NY/CT for 99% of their games, unless you have a slingbox or Center Ice. Assuming you don't get either, you'll only be able to watch the Devils when they play the Caps or when they're on NHL Network or Versus.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#19 PattyElias26

PattyElias26

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

They aren't. Most games for teams are shown in their local areas, so the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders are shown only in NJ/NY/CT for 99% of their games, unless you have a slingbox or Center Ice. Assuming you don't get either, you'll only be able to watch the Devils when they play the Caps or when they're on NHL Network or Versus.

Damn, ive heard bad things about gamecenter too. And I dont like how they renew your subscription unless you call, or that's atleast what they used to do.

#20 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

CAREFUL. That's all I'll say. I go to school in Syracuse, NY and it's on the overlap of NJ and Buffalo on MSG+, and Buffalo takes precedence. In other words, if only Buffalo is playing, it's on, if only NJ is playing, it's on, and if both NJ and Buffalo are playing, only Buffalo is on (all on MSG+, I got MSG ok). Therefore, I am technically in both markets and am blacked out of both NJ and Buffalo (not to mention NYR and NYI) territories on Gamecenter Live. I called Gamecenter to see if I could resolve the problem somehow and they basically gave me the old "call your cable or satellite provider," which was useless because I used the school's cable. Not to mention Gamecenter auto-renews your membership and charges your credit card, and it's opt-out only, so it automatically happens unless you cancel it. And they charge you for their full-season package regardless of what you paid for it. Gamecenter was good to me in general, but only for watching out-of-market games.

After all that hullaballoo I ended up just using online streams that other people put up. Quality was just as good as Gamecenter.

One of my friends has Slingbox and he likes it a lot, but I can't speak to the quality of the video and such and how well it works. And Center Ice I never went near because it's so expensive.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DevilNurn, 11 August 2010 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users