Pru Center For Sale?

The Rock 07

folks, your stereotypical white suburbanite. :round of applause:

I mean, they're having Larry the Cable Guy there. I guess all of the white folk are just too scared to turn out and the place is a total flop. everyone knows what kind of hit Larry the Cable Guy is in Irvington.

Black people love Larry the Cable Guy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly as much as this is fun for a guy like Mazz that wishes all of NJ was suburban sprawl and high way traffic it's rather painful to watch as Newark resident. Newark's coucil is a f-ing joke and a waste of both my tax dollars but also every NJ resident's taxpayer dollars (Newark doesn't pay for it's schools, just sucks money from everyone else to do a piss poor job). It has been suggested the greatest thing that could happen to Newark is the state took control and fired half the people working there. Personally I think they should fire 3/4 of the people working there, the place wreaks of entitlement and political BS.

okay I'm done with all the :blahblah: but I would love to see JVK buy the whole place and get rid of this bizarre set up that has the NHA (a housing authority) running the arena.

You're all missing the point. Newark couldn't make money off this deal if it was the most beautiful place on earth. They have made.... wait for it. $0. They want to sell $0, and the potential for maybe $1-2M a year, should Devils Entertainment lose their arbitration, for $200M. :lol:

Newark City Council is, and has always been, full of total retards. You got dicked on the deal w/ money that the state basically gave you. What about that is worth $200M? I don't even know if JVB's half is worth $200M yet, and he's the one that makes the money on the deal.

The DEVILS would not be making the same money off of this if it was in Parsippany.

Hey maxpower, im not understanding your posts. Can you explain what you mean when you say the state practically gave the city $200 mill and that they got 'dicked on the deal'? The state didnt give the city anything....

Also, mazz is just winding you guys up its pretty clear...

Edited by devlman

Hey maxpower, im not understanding your posts. Can you explain what you mean when you say the state practically gave the city $200 mill and that they got 'dicked on the deal'? The state didnt give the city anything....

Also, mazz is just winding you guys up its pretty clear...

McGreevey gave Newark $200M via the Port Authority for the "land rights" to the airport. I have no idea exactly what that's worth, but if Sharpe James was willing to sell it off, for his awful deal with the Devils, it couldn't have been worth too much.

That was the whole crux of Booker going batsh!t when he came into office. Newark basically got a gift of $200M and James wasted it on an arena deal that brings no fruit. That's why he tried to have the project stopped and the money recouped.

Ive lived in Western Morris County/Warren County my whole life. It's absolutely 10x easier for me to get to the Rock than the Meadowlands. Hate the parking situation at Newark. Either pay 25 bucks to park close or you walk through not the nicest areas to get there

I know thats not the point of this though.

Wish the Arena was in a nice area, ALA Camden Yards. Some place where you can take the family, spend the day etc catch a game. That being said I would have 0 problem if the Arena was somewhere like Morristown. Morristown does have some immigration problems, understood, but overall it's a very nice area and i really think it would put us in the center of our fanbase.

Accessible from 287, 80, mass transit etc.

If you ask all of the fans outside of Northeast NJ where they would have liked the arena, most would have said Morristown/Parsippany, even if not the most feasible location!

McGreevey gave Newark $200M via the Port Authority for the "land rights" to the airport. I have no idea exactly what that's worth, but if Sharpe James was willing to sell it off, for his awful deal with the Devils, it couldn't have been worth too much.

That was the whole crux of Booker going batsh!t when he came into office. Newark basically got a gift of $200M and James wasted it on an arena deal that brings no fruit. That's why he tried to have the project stopped and the money recouped.

McGreevey didnt give Newark $200 mill. That Port Authority deal was already in place for Newark to receive that sum every 8 years or so. And I still dont understand what you mean by James sold it off? Are you against the arena in Newark? If so, fair enough but you cant call it a lose-lose deal for Newark by any stretch.

McGreevey didnt give Newark $200 mill. That Port Authority deal was already in place for Newark to receive that sum every 8 years or so. And I still dont understand what you mean by James sold it off? Are you against the arena in Newark? If so, fair enough but you cant call it a lose-lose deal for Newark by any stretch.

No, I'm not against it on the grounds of self-interest. But the way it came around was a massive scam. And Newark no long owns the land rights to the airport, so are you so sure about what you're saying?

And yes, for Newark, it was a lose-lose deal. Do you think they would do a long investigation into the deal while the building was being built, otherwise? It raises profile, it may cause some urban renewal down the road, but they're not making a single dollar off the building itself.

Ive lived in Western Morris County/Warren County my whole life. It's absolutely 10x easier for me to get to the Rock than the Meadowlands. Hate the parking situation at Newark. Either pay 25 bucks to park close or you walk through not the nicest areas to get there

I know thats not the point of this though.

Wish the Arena was in a nice area, ALA Camden Yards. Some place where you can take the family, spend the day etc catch a game. That being said I would have 0 problem if the Arena was somewhere like Morristown. Morristown does have some immigration problems, understood, but overall it's a very nice area and i really think it would put us in the center of our fanbase.

Accessible from 287, 80, mass transit etc.

If you ask all of the fans outside of Northeast NJ where they would have liked the arena, most would have said Morristown/Parsippany, even if not the most feasible location!

how is it accessible to mass transit when you need to go to Newark/Secaucus to get there? :lol: the maps are online folks, you can look at them.

maxpower, the city is making money and will make more off of increase taxes downtown from new business and retail, as well trickle-down benefits from the higher profile. Of course, there are drawbacks for Newark the way the deals went through, but again, not a lose-lose. Its not so much about making money off the building itself but the area of the building. (The Devs should be paying rent btw, too)

As far as I know, Newark still owns the rights for the Port/airport (unless ive missed something very recently)

Wish the Arena was in a nice area, ALA Camden Yards.

LOL, before Camden Yards got "developed", the park wasn't in a nice area. And FYI, there has been violent crimes in that vicinity over recent years, including the Inner Harbor:

My link

My link

http://investigativevoice.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4642:news-flash-three-shootings-in-one-hour-including-gun-fight-at-inner-harbor&catid=25:the-project&Itemid=44

And you don't have to drive to games if you're in Morris County.

Edited by Marv4Life

LOL, before Camden Yards got "developed", the park wasn't in a nice area. And FYI, there has been violent crimes in that vicinity over recent years, including the Inner Harbor:

I saw a guy get his wallet stolen right in front of me while waiting in line at an Antie Anne's Pretzels in the Inner Harbor once.

there's no way that people in monmouth and ocean counties would have wanted an arena in morristown or parsippany.

None of the Devils fans in my office (which is in Ocean Cty.) like it in Newark. They all say it should have been built at the foot of the Driscoll Bridge in South Amboy.

None of the Devils fans in my office (which is in Ocean Cty.) like it in Newark. They all say it should have been built at the foot of the Driscoll Bridge in South Amboy.

No where near a transit hub.

The new building needed to be near a mass transit hub. Newark and Hoboken fit the bill. But building the arena in Hoboken would have required it to be floating on pontoons.

Amboy area would have sucked as I-287 traffic from the north/west is pathetic.

287/80 area traffic is pretty sad without an arena. It would be impassable with an arena.

So far using I-78 from the west and NJTP from the south have both been pretty good for me to get to Pru Center. I can't speak to peoples' rides from the north.

Absolutely...it shouldve been built downtown Ocean City, of course! :rolleyes:

I live in (insert home town). They should have built the new arena in (insert medium-sized town no ones been to adjacent to home town).

Edited by devlman

Absolutely...it shouldve been built downtown Ocean City, of course! :rolleyes:

I live in (insert home town). They should have built the new arena in (insert medium-sized town no ones been to adjacent to home town).

youre pretty dumb. The Driscoll bridge is about a 40 drive from Ocean County. Often known as the bridge that serperates north and south jersey.

youre pretty dumb. The Driscoll bridge is about a 40 drive from Ocean County. Often known as the bridge that serperates north and south jersey.

a 40? ounce? inch? mile? minute?

It still doesn't negate this.

Newark is reasonably accessible to most of NJ. Not just certain towns and counties in NJ.

Edited by mac760

No where near a transit hub.

The new building needed to be near a mass transit hub. Newark and Hoboken fit the bill. But building the arena in Hoboken would have required it to be floating on pontoons.

Amboy area would have sucked as I-287 traffic from the north/west is pathetic.

287/80 area traffic is pretty sad without an arena. It would be impassable with an arena.

So far using I-78 from the west and NJTP from the south have both been pretty good for me to get to Pru Center. I can't speak to peoples' rides from the north.

No land in Hoboken to build an arena, nowhere to park...its too small there. How could people rag on me for saying Parsippany and try and make a case for Hoboken o.O

Newark was a rather logical choice for placement of the arena especially given that the city was willing to provide a public financing. If you followed the history of this the orignal plans had the soccer stadium in downtown Newark as well. All of these things sound great but it's very very very difficult to get land rights all put together and also have a vibrant neighborhood surrounding where you place your arena. Just look at Yankee, Mets, Giants and Philly's stadiums. You either go into a slum or go to nowhere with a parking lot. The vision was that when the land swaps were completed they would all require the people to have to build out in a 5 year period. Then James got sloppy and tried pulling a couple of Hail Mary moves at the end of his time as mayor to get the deal completed and it ended up a mess. Land deals weren't done, budgeted money for the parks was used to plug structural deficits and well the rest is pretty evident from the 4 enormous parking lots that surround the arena.

As for the stealing money and PA comment it wouldn't hurt if people actually just did a tad of research and gave accurate information. The Port Authority leases the land from the city of Newark as apposed to the city running the port and airport (Thank god for that). Part of the lease arrangment is that the amount that is paid to Laguardia and JFK is comperable to that of Newark. When this failed to happen Newark sued for breach of contract and were looking to get a huge lease increase as well as a settlment for breach of contract. Unfortunately the city was cash strapped and pushing a publicly funded arena so it settled (most would argue for less than it deserved). The settlment was cash heavy up front (this shouldnt' suprise you about politicians, Sharp does this and Booker tries to sell off his water resevoirs for a cash up front deal) and the city bonded the rest for the money to build the arena.

Even if you aren't a big fan of the way the area looks around the arena right now, you only need to go to Ferry street to experience a cool bar/restaurant/nightlife scene that rivals anywhere in NJ. Downtown Newark on the otherhand has a long way to go till it can rival that neighborhood.

Edited by newarkdev01

no, he's right, even though the driscoll bridge isn't that close to ocean county. everyone wanted the arena as close to them as possible. newark is a perfect compromise.

Even if you aren't a big fan of the way the area looks around the arena right now, you only need to go to Ferry street to experience a cool bar/restaurant/nightlife scene that rivals anywhere in NJ. Downtown Newark on the otherhand has a long way to go till it can rival that neighborhood.

Which is why the arena is an important catalyst in getting downtown to rival Ferry Street. Part of downtown anyway.

No land in Hoboken to build an arena, nowhere to park...its too small there. How could people rag on me for saying Parsippany and try and make a case for Hoboken o.O

People are ragging on you for Parsippany because you're clueless in the sense that you can't build something like that in a bedroom community or in suburbia for many reasons.

I'm from Morris County. I lived in Parsippany for 3 years and it's just not even a smart observation to even suggest.

Hoboken was McMullen's pipe dream. The traffic would have been a nightmare and you'd probably be forced to use public trans. McMullen had the spot picked out and an artist's conception done of it. There was room there. If you want to read about the Devils and Hoboken it's easy enough to Google. Maybe add in the term "air rights" as well.