• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

It's difficult to fathom, but rumors are floating that Travis Zajac may be among the players the Devils will eventually sacrifice to get under the salary cap if Ilya Kovalchuk's $100 million, 15-year contract is approved by the NHL.

Conventional wisdom suggests Bryce Salvador ($2.9 million) and Dainius Zubrus ($3.4 million) are the obvious candidates to surrender for the $3-5 million in cap space the Devils would need to clear by the start of the season if Kovalchuk's deal is approved.

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...I#ixzz0y6Vw861y
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,324 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

I thank Odin that this is NEverson reporting this.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#3 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

I would rather give up Salvador, Zubrus or Rolston... Definitely not Zajac.... I think he is definitely the future of this team along with Parise

#4 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

unless there is a big center in return for Zajac, me thinks this is stupid

The thing that keeps sticking in my mind is why Lou hasn't cleared the cap space already. he would only wait until Kovy is done of he were moving a significant piece.

If it were going to be Rolston, he'd have been gone already. Maybe he'd wait on Salvador?

I thank Odin that this is NEverson reporting this.

me too
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#5 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

when these a$$holes make this stuff up, i wonder if they rub two brain cells together to see if it will make any sense.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#6 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

In fairness to (N)Єverson (...did I really just say that?), he HAS had a pretty good track record this summer.

Still don't actually see it happening, of course. I'd be hard pressed to name our top 4 centers right now with Zajac on the roser, let alone with him gone.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#7 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

hahahahaha. If Zajac is traded, I'll root for the Rangers.

#8 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

the only thing I could see is if Lou brings in a very good young center a la Tj Oshie + 1st or second

#9 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

hahahahaha. If Zajac is traded, I'll root for the Rangers.

Never make idle threats of that nature. I've been around this team long enough to know that Randy McKay wasn't safe, Brian Rolston (back before he was a burden) wasn't safe, Jason Arnott wasn't safe, etc. If all these could find their ways onto trades, then Zajac could too.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#10 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

good to have you back, neverson. it was a weird summer.

Edited by Triumph, 30 August 2010 - 11:01 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#11 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

Ah, it's good to be able to call (N)Єverson a rumor-mongering crock of crap again.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#12 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

oh (N)Єverson, you're a silly billy
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#13 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Never make idle threats of that nature. I've been around this team long enough to know that Randy McKay wasn't safe, Brian Rolston (back before he was a burden) wasn't safe, Jason Arnott wasn't safe, etc. If all these could find their ways onto trades, then Zajac could too.

Chris Terreri... twice :(

#14 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

as shallow as we are @ center, (not counting the few kids in pipeline) I would say this is rediculous. trav $ zach cut their teeth in the nhl together & are connected at the hip. like the old band tune, "aint goin no where"

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#15 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

:doh1: This will never happen. NEVER-SON
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#16 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

when these a$$holes make this stuff up, i wonder if they rub two brain cells together to see if it will make any sense.

lol thats great.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#17 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

The only way I could see this happening is if someone's willing to take Rolston, maybe Salvador and Zajac, and send back a 2nd line center and good prospects. I can't see that scenario existing, though.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#18 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

zajac could be dealt sometime in the future, but i think HOI means that zajac is not going to be traded this off-season to make room for kovalchuk. considering zajac is probably a better player than kovalchuk, it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.

Edited by Triumph, 30 August 2010 - 11:42 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#19 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

Three words: SLOW NEWS DAY

Neverson always good for the occasional "throw a name out there and run with it" article. Can't rule anything out w/Lou, especially now, but I'll worry about this if it actually happens.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#20 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

. considering zajac is probably a better player than kovalchuk, it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.

Nice
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users