1787 replies to this topic

#901 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

Might as well morph this into the 2011-2012 thread for the Jets...some of the going ons thus far

..sounds like a plan sir. :thumbsup:

In regards to the "going-on's thus far".. I'll be back in about a week, when all this upheaval settles down. Too many rumors/moves/stuff flying about to really know how to feel about anything.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#902 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

This year, holmes will only count 2.4 mil against the cap (nice job by tanenbaum in structuring the deal) plus you have sanchez restructuring his deal, brad smith likely leaving, damien woody retiring as well as kris jenkins coming off the books, and braylon edwards leaving (with his replacement earning less of course...probably far less, so that will mean no Randy Moss

Thats still probably not enough...but i never count out Tanenbaum and his ability to manipulate the cap

Tannenbaum is really a genius. If we didn't have Ozzie....
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#903 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/97658635055939585

Filed to ESPN: Plaxico Burress will sign with the N.Y. Jets. Confirmed. 1-year deal for $3,017,000, fully guaranteed. Plax is a Jet.

He was one of my favorite players for the Giants so I was hoping they would bring him back. I wish him the best of luck for the Jets and look forward to watching him play for them.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 31 July 2011 - 08:39 AM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#904 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

Signing a project wide receiver with talent
It's positively Patriot-like, wouldn't you say CR?
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#905 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:20 AM

Signing a project wide receiver with talent
It's positively Patriot-like, wouldn't you say CR?

Sure is...the big difference being that the guy hasn't played in a while (I'm a little surprised by how much $$$ he got), so who knows what he brings at this point? A question that can only be answered come gametime.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that Rex Ryan ain't taking any of his sh!t, so for Plax's sake he'd better show some kind of humility...Ryan's worked hard to get this going in the right direction, and I think if Plax doesn't contribute and/or causes off-the-field headaches, Ryan will show him the door, $3+ million or not.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#906 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,722 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:26 AM

And now Cromartie's back too...4 years, 32 million. So ironically, after all the sound and fury of FA the Jets wind up with essentially the same team they ended last year with (other than 'trading' Braylon for Plax) and I'm fine with that.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#907 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:47 AM

And now Cromartie's back too...4 years, 32 million. So ironically, after all the sound and fury of FA the Jets wind up with essentially the same team they ended last year with (other than 'trading' Braylon for Plax) and I'm fine with that.

The big key to the Jets' season to me is Sanchez. His numbers have been so much better in the postseason than the regular season (9 TD and 3 INTs, over 60% comp% in the postseason...all of which was accomplished on the road...compared to 29 TDs and 33 INTs and 54.4% in the regular season). If he can play closer to his postseason form, the Jets have a great chance to at least host a playoff game or snag a first-round bye. What they've done in the postseason has been impressive, but asking your team to win three road playoff games every season is too much...at some point they have to take the path of less resistance if they want to get to the Super Bowl.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#908 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

The big key to the Jets' season to me is Sanchez. His numbers have been so much better in the postseason than the regular season (9 TD and 3 INTs, over 60% comp% in the postseason...all of which was accomplished on the road...compared to 29 TDs and 33 INTs and 54.4% in the regular season). If he can play closer to his postseason form, the Jets have a great chance to at least host a playoff game or snag a first-round bye. What they've done in the postseason has been impressive, but asking your team to win three road playoff games every season is too much...at some point they have to take the path of less resistance if they want to get to the Super Bowl.

i would not be too worried about Sanchez, the bigger the game the better he plays. He is a future all-pro. I would be more concerned about the backfield.

You can always throw against Cromartie.

Edited by MantaRay, 03 August 2011 - 02:10 PM.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#909 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

..seems as though the Jets are willing to reopen negotiations with Braylon.

http://origin.nydail...-price-is-right
http://espn.go.com/b...ck-on-the-cheap

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#910 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

The big key to the Jets' season to me is Sanchez.

Yeah, I agree with that. He was too streaky last year during the season.

#911 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

i would not be too worried about Sanchez, the bigger the game the better he plays. He is a future all-pro. I would be more concerned about the backfield.

You can always throw against Cromartie.

Except that the "small" games count too. Every QB is going to have less than stellar days, but Sanchez needs to up his game more consistently for the Jets to start thinking about a bye week. Yeah, he's played well in the playoffs, but it's like I keep saying, 3 road playoff games is a tough road to take. He plays better and there's a chance the Jets can host at least one game, maybe two, and get a week off.

#30 FOREVER!

#912 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Except that the "small" games count too. Every QB is going to have less than stellar days, but Sanchez needs to up his game more consistently for the Jets to start thinking about a bye week. Yeah, he's played well in the playoffs, but it's like I keep saying, 3 road playoff games is a tough road to take. He plays better and there's a chance the Jets can host at least one game, maybe two, and get a week off.

Agreed, but remember he is young and doesn't even have a lot of college experience. I think he may struggle early this year because they have a whole new receiveing corps to get used to.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#913 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

Jets picked-up a great receiver for Sanchez. Mason will move the chains.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#914 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

Jets picked-up a great receiver for Sanchez. Mason will move the chains.

yeah, but how much does he have left in the tank?

#915 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

yeah, but how much does he have left in the tank?

..or better yet, what do the Jets do next season when both Plaxico & Mason hit the bricks?
I'm really disgusted with this offseason. This was supposed to be the August the Jets stockpiled. The offseason where they kept all their talent, and added some in return.. and yet all I see in the "Arrivals" category is Mason & Plax. Meanwhile our departures are:

Braylon Edwards: 49er's
Jason Taylor: Dolphins
Brad Smith: Bills
James Ihedigbo: Rams (rumored)
Kris Jenkins: retirement
Steve Weatherford: Giants
Ben Hartsock: Panthers
Drew Coleman: Jaguars
Isaiah Trufant: Eagles
Vernon Gholston: Bears
Kellen Clemens: Redskins
Kevin O'Connell: Dolphins
Jerricho Cotchery: Steelers
Andre Dyson: Lions
Trevor Pryce: released/cut
Shaun Ellis: Patriots
Tony Richardson: retirement
Damien Woody: retirement
Laveranues Coles: retirement

--------
EDIT: The one thing I will say to defend Mason is (to the people that have been saying "last season was his worst since 2006. He's finished") age is just a number with this dude. He's a health freak, that reportedly works out 5x a day, and begins training for next season the moment the previous season ends.

Yes, as far as stats, last season was a down year for Mason. --But look at the Ravens roster! Anquan Boldin, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Donte' Stallworth, Todd Heap, Ray Rice, Willis McGahee, etc..
Joe Flacco had to spread the ball around more than ever to keep all those players happy, which in the end may have contributed to Mason's lack of touches.

Edited by Beezer34, 11 August 2011 - 08:07 PM.

#916 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

--------
EDIT: The one thing I will say to defend Mason is (to the people that have been saying "last season was his worst since 2006. He's finished") age is just a number with this dude. He's a health freak, that reportedly works out 5x a day, and begins training for next season the moment the previous season ends.

Yes, as far as stats, last season was a down year for Mason. --But look at the Ravens roster! Anquan Boldin, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Donte' Stallworth, Todd Heap, Ray Rice, Willis McGahee, etc..
Joe Flacco had to spread the ball around more than ever to keep all those players happy, which in the end may have contributed to Mason's lack of touches.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment of Mason. Teams knew Mason historically has been Flacco's go to guy, so we had the spread the ball around, especially to Boldin and Rice out of the backfield. Mason still has a lot of compete in him and I know Harbaugh was still pitching him to come back as late as Thursday.

For Sanchez, this is a blessing. Mason will make him look good while Plax is still learning and teams double cover Holmes.

Mason isn't as fast as he was, but no one runs routes better or smarter than Mason. I hate that he is gone from the Ravens (I think this will hurt us in big games).

But the Jets got a player that will get them first downs.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#917 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,722 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

..or better yet, what do the Jets do next season when both Plaxico & Mason hit the bricks?

The last thing in the world I'm worried about is who's going to be our WR in 2012...look at this current UFA list posted on another board:

WR Sam Aiken UFA
WR Danny Amendola RFA
WR Devin Aromashodu UFA
WR Dwayne Bowe UFA
WR Deion Branch UFA
WR Marques Colston UFA
WR Patrick Crayton UFA
WR Buster Davis UFA
WR Early Doucet UFA
WR Larry Fitzgerald UFA
WR Pierre Garcon UFA
WR Anthony Gonzalez UFA
WR Johnnie Lee Higgins UFA
WR Mario Manningham UFA
WR Robert Meachem UFA
WR Roscoe Parrish UFA
WR Trent Shelton UFA
WR Donte' Stallworth UFA
WR Limas Sweed UFA
WR Devin Thomas UFA
WR Kelley WashingtonUFA
WR Reggie Wayne UFA
WR Wes Welker UFA

Some stars and solid second-teamers like Garcon there too. That doesn't include Braylon, who's also on a one-year deal but I suspect the Jets don't want him long-term because of his off-field issues.

The losses do concern me in the short term and there's something to be said about the way we shoved Cotchery aside for Santonio-Braylon-Mason, as well as not really busting it to bring Ellis back but most of the losses you named were either guys who had gotten old and past the point of usefulness anyway or easily replaceable role players (like Smith).

It's just a reality in the cap era that you're not going to bring everyone back, really the Jets have done almost as well as could be expected given that they had three big FA's in the same offseason with a lower cap, brought two back while getting a comparable replacement for the other, and also extending Harris long-term.

I'm hardly a homer and don't expect us to beat out the Pats for the division but I don't see any reason they shouldn't be a playoff team again - the defense is about the same pending what happens with Ellis and the offense is pretty much the same talentwise though the age/fragility of Tomlinson-Plax-Mason is probably my biggest tangible concern.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#918 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

Not thrilled with Mason...but as a 1 year 3rd receiver stopgap he should be fine. should be good for at least 40 catches.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#919 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

The last thing in the world I'm worried about is who's going to be our WR in 2012...look at this current UFA list posted on another board:
Some stars and solid second-teamers like Garcon there too. That doesn't include Braylon, who's also on a one-year deal but I suspect the Jets don't want him long-term because of his off-field issues.

<_< Yeah I guess so. I just wanted to have some consistency on offense you know. Some sort of affinity (other than Keller) that the kid can cohere to. There's been so little stability when it comes to the Jets offense, and I think it may contribute (at times) to why Sanchez seems erratic during the regular season.

Consider the facelift our WR corp went through, in just 1 year..
August 2010 Training Camp - Santonio Holmes.. Braylon Edwards.. Jerricho Cothcery.. Laveranues Coles.. & Brad Smith.
August 2011 Training Camp - Santonio Holmes.. Plaxico Burress.. Derrick Mason.. Patrick Turner.. and Jeremy Kerley.

..so yeah, I guess next season we can bring in Wes Welker & Pierre Garçon. But again, the danger of Sanchez's discord needs to be taken into consideration.

---------------
EDIT: Even our running backs (when you think about it) the 2 seasons that Sanchez has played..
Leon Washington.. Thomas Jones.. Danny Woodhead.. Shonn Greene.. LaDainian Tomlinson.. Joey McKnight.. fvcking revolving door. :noclue:

Edited by Beezer34, 06 August 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#920 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

Don't know if anyone posted this in here, but Sean Ellis signed with New England.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users