1787 replies to this topic

#921 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

<_< Yeah I guess so. I just wanted to have some consistency on offense you know. Some sort of affinity (other than Keller) that the kid can cohere to. There's been so little stability when it comes to the Jets offense, and I think it may contribute (at times) to why Sanchez seems erratic during the regular season.

Consider the facelift our WR corp went through, in just 1 year..
August 2010 Training Camp - Santonio Holmes.. Braylon Edwards.. Jerricho Cothcery.. Laveranues Coles.. & Brad Smith.
August 2011 Training Camp - Santonio Holmes.. Plaxico Burress.. Derrick Mason.. Patrick Turner.. and Jeremy Kerley.

..so yeah, I guess next season we can bring in Wes Welker & Pierre Garçon. But again, the danger of Sanchez's discord needs to be taken into consideration.

---------------
EDIT: Even our running backs (when you think about it) the 2 seasons that Sanchez has played..
Leon Washington.. Thomas Jones.. Danny Woodhead.. Shonn Greene.. LaDainian Tomlinson.. Joey McKnight.. fvcking revolving door. :noclue:

and then wonder y sanchez gets called overrated. look at some of the names u justmentioned. and apparently thats not even enough if u guys went after heap. mark sanchez has been dealt a damn good hand. did the jets ever giv pennington those weapons?

#922 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

and then wonder y sanchez gets called overrated. look at some of the names u justmentioned. and apparently thats not even enough if u guys went after heap. mark sanchez has been dealt a damn good hand. did the jets ever giv pennington those weapons?

Laveranues Coles, Wayne Chrebet, Santana Moss, Jerricho Cotchery, Curtis Martin, LaMont Jordan, etc. Pennington had his fair share of weapons.
Chad's biggest problem was staying healthy. Not how many "weapons" were around him.

..and if you want to blame anyone for Penny being muffled, blame Bradway & Herm.

Don't know if anyone posted this in here, but Shaun Ellis signed with New England.

..this offseason has been atrocious.
All 3 facets of the team (special teams, offense, and defense) have taken a step back imo.

Posted Image
Saw this last season on one of the Jets forums I frequent. I remember the pride I felt when I first saw it. Now it's difficult to swallow.
I don't want to hear; "these players weren't important" either. Because that just isn't true.
Braylon led all receivers in TD's. 28 of J-Co's 40 receptions, went for 1st down's. Ellis & Taylor combined for ¼ our sack total. We may not even win that Thanksgiving game, if it wasn't for Trevor Pryce's sack in the backfield for a safety. Or Brad Smith's KR for a TD. Ihedigbo had the best season he's ever had. You can go on and on.

-------------------------

I'm sorry to come off as disheartening.. but this season aint gonna be an easy one to watch. -_-
Those of you who know me, know my trackrecord for predicting the Jets overall record prior to the start of the season. Not to toot my own horn, but I have nailed 5 out of the last 6 years..

Prediction: 11-5 record.

..and now, I'm ready to call this season's..

8-8 and you can take that to the bank.

The Patriots have gotten ponderously stronger, and want to desperately wipe the egg off their face from the last 2 seasons. They have something to prove.. and that's a dangerous combination.
Meanwhile for Gang Green.. this offseason has been an absolute disgrace. Each and every "calculated" assumption has backfired on the Jets, and blown up in our faces. You can't say goodbye to 19 players on the roster (however important/unimportant their roles were) and think you can replace them seamlessly via draft & signing players 35+, without missing a beat. It doesn't work that way.
THAT team had cohesion. THAT team went to war with eachother. THAT team went to 2 back-to-back Championship games consecutive years in a row.. (that just doesn't happen by accident) and now that team has been scattered throughout the NFL.

I've been silent for nearly 2 weeks now, waiting for that impact type splash. Sadly, it never happened. -_-
..unless something is in the works, I'm sticking with an 8-8 season for our Jets.

Edited by Beezer34, 11 August 2011 - 08:08 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#923 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

The Ellis one does bother me, so much for Rex being a great recruiter, eh? He can't even keep the guys we got.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#924 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

The Patriots have gotten ponderously stronger, and want to desperately wipe the egg off their face from the last 2 seasons. They have something to prove.. and that's a dangerous combination.

Careful with that one. The Pats wanted to wipe the egg off their faces before last season too, after getting squashed by the Ravens at home in the playoffs. Everything was lined up perfectly for that to happen too...they had a bye, home-field throughout the playoffs...Brady was coming off a 36 TD, 4 INT reg-season campaign...and they were facing a team they had destroyed the last time they had faced them. All that was going for the Pats, and the Jets flat-out beat them, and convincingly, in their house.

Problem with the Pats is that, since 2007 really, they've become a front-running bully-type team, the type that can beat any other team by 30+ points any given Sunday, but doesn't seem to respond well when a team dares to push back. Yeah, based on having lost three playoffs games in a row, they should be hungry and pissed off and out to prove something, but I don't know if they have it in them. Do guys like Ochocinco and Hainesworth seem like the kind of guys who are going to help them in that regard?
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#925 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

The Ellis one does bother me, so much for Rex being a great recruiter, eh? He can't even keep the guys we got.

Is that all on Rex? The GM is the one who signs the players.

I don't know, I've been pretty impressed with what Rex has done so far (as far as coaching the last two seasons go). I get the feeling their losses aren't going to hurt them as much as you think...especially if Sanchez can start performing like he does in the regular season.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 August 2011 - 06:22 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#926 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

Well apparently Ellis got $5 million from the Pats! So yeah, no way he was going to stay for the vet minimum here over that :lol:

Although I do think if we'd made a fair offer (say $2.5 or $3) he doesn't talk with other teams but clearly we didn't want him back, and they needed him more to add vet leadership on a young defense.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 08 August 2011 - 05:45 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#927 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,448 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

I gathered from articles the Jets really didn't make much of an effort to keep him. But the PATS D is looking pretty strong right now with all their additions upfront.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#928 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

Shaun Ellis has been my favorite Jet since he has been here, and it's a shot in the heart to hear than he went to the Pats. I understand that sports nowadays are a business, but it just sucks. Not sure how I feel about J-CO leaving either. Mason, to me, is past his time.
Posted Image Posted Image

#929 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,009 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

I posted this in the NFL thread too, but Cotchery signed a one-year deal with Pittsburgh.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#930 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

Jets will be good this year. Playoffs are not guaranteed unfortunately especially with the Pats in the division.

I see 8-8 as their floor, they're going to be above .500 team for sure.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#931 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

..something funny is going on here, and I don't like it.
http://www.jetsinsid...y_bellomo/?p=90

If Plaxico's ankle is worse than the Jets are letting on, than this franchise deserves to be tar'd-&-feather'd in a public square for their treatment(s) of J'Co & Braylon.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#932 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

8-8 and you can take that to the bank.

joey c from brooklyn throwin in the towel. some1 hacked that handle :giggle:

#933 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

joey c from brooklyn throwin in the towel. some1 hacked that handle :giggle:

..sorry to disappoint, but this is me talking.
It's one thing to be an optimist, it's another to drink the kool-aid. I don't drink the kool-aid with any team I root for.

..all I see in the "Arrivals" category is Mason & Plax. Meanwhile our departures are:

Braylon Edwards: 49er's
Jason Taylor: Dolphins
Brad Smith: Bills
James Ihedigbo: Rams (rumored)
Kris Jenkins: retirement
Steve Weatherford: Giants
Ben Hartsock: Panthers
Drew Coleman: Jaguars
Isaiah Trufant: Eagles
Vernon Gholston: Bears
Kellen Clemens: Redskins
Kevin O'Connell: Dolphins
Jerricho Cotchery: Steelers
Andre Dyson: Lions
Trevor Pryce: released/cut
Shaun Ellis: Patriots
Tony Richardson: retirement
Damien Woody: retirement
Laveranues Coles: retirement

Can NOT happen. Case closed!
You can't lose 19 players, and expect the locker room to be the same. The chemistry is completely different, and that falls on the Jets this offseason. When it was clear Nnamdi wasn't coming here, management decided to scramble together a Plan-B. But how does that strategy look now with Plaxico's ankle being the talk of training camp.. and Edwards, Cotchery, and Smith all gone?

..at the end of the day, you have to be a realist. I'm sticking with 8-8.

#934 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,448 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

..sorry to disappoint, but this is me talking.
It's one thing to be an optimist, it's another to drink the kool-aid. I don't drink the kool-aid with any team I root for.

Can NOT happen. Case closed!
You can't lose 19 players, and expect the locker room to be the same. The chemistry is completely different, and that falls on the Jets this offseason. When it was clear Nnamdi wasn't coming here, management decided to scramble together a Plan-B. But how does that strategy look now with Plaxico's ankle being the talk of training camp.. and Edwards, Cotchery, and Smith all gone?

..at the end of the day, you have to be a realist. I'm sticking with 8-8.

I think they have downgraded tremendously at WR and Sanchez will have a tough time early in the season to get in sync.
The D also looks weaker upfront. I also think that Rex Speak will being to ring more and more hollow.

I think 9-7 is feasible.

I have learned first hand, that on a fan board site such as this, there are more kool-aid drinkers than discerning fans.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#935 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

Headed to training camp today at 2pm.. Should be fun to actually see a team I like in camp.. I just hope a professional athlete isn't somehow distracted by fans watching, because it's not like that happens in games or something like that :horse:

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#936 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

I see 8-8 as their floor.

I think 9-7 is feasible.

What happens this season with the Jets, will write an evolving chapter to the legacy that is Rex Ryan. The big knock on Rex is the; "not the carpenter, but the tools" philosophy.

Look at some of the players he's coached on defense: Ray Lewis.. Bart Scott.. Rod Woodson.. Deion Sanders.. Chris McAlister.. Kris Jenkins.. Terrell Suggs.. Adalius Thomas.. Calvin Pace.. Antonio Cromartie.. Darrelle Revis.. Ed Reed.. Jason Taylor.. Ty Law.. Shaun Ellis.. Trevor Pryce.. and David Harris. (just to name a few off the top of my head) RR has always had a star-studded group on paper in front of him. This has caused many naysayers to criticize his coaching ability, reasoning being: "He's always had an all-star defense" theory.
However, when you look at the 20 players the Jets lost through free agency this offseason.. 10 of them were on defense. (including a complete facelift on the front seven)

Though players like Pouha, DeVito, Dixon, Westerman, Pitoitua, Wilkerson, and (Kendrick) Ellis all have potential.. their resume's are blank.
If the Jets defense finishes Top 5 in the NFL this year.. Ryan's notoriety will be cemented.

Edited by Beezer34, 12 August 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#937 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,009 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

Ya know, I'm really surprised that the Sanchize hasn't been taken to task more on that '85 Bears comment he made about the Jet defense. I almost spit out my coffee when I read that.

#938 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

..something funny is going on here, and I don't like it.
http://www.jetsinsid...y_bellomo/?p=90

If Plaxico's ankle is worse than the Jets are letting on, than this franchise deserves to be tar'd-&-feather'd in a public square for their treatment(s) of J'Co & Braylon.

It's August and the guy just got out of prison a minute and a half ago, he's not anywhere near game shape yet - and it's entirely possible he DOES have personal matters to contend with considering. Plus he was notoroiously absent from almost every practice his last year or two with the Giants with some ache/pain but come gameday he was there. I ain't gonna pitch a fit until he starts missing regular season games.

And I do think injuries could be a problem on offense, given you're counting on three 30+ players (Mason, Plax, Tomlinson) to be big parts of the offense...but we're not there yet.

Ya know, I'm really surprised that the Sanchize hasn't been taken to task more on that '85 Bears comment he made about the Jet defense. I almost spit out my coffee when I read that.

It depends on what he said, I haven't heard the exact quote yet; just that he made some comparison. If he said we (the offense) are making the D look like the '85 Bears that's one thing, if he said we're as good as the '85 Bears then he's got to put down the Rex-Aid and get to a twelve-step program :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 August 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#939 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,448 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

It depends on what he said, I haven't heard the exact quote yet; just that he made some comparison. If he said we (the offense) are making the D look like the '85 Bears that's one thing, if he said we're as good as the '85 Bears then he's got to put down the Rex-Aid and get to a twelve-step program :P

+1

It's good to be confident, but to sing it before you bring it is a recipe for disaster.

Ask Dustin Keller about game #1 last year.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#940 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,009 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

It's August and the guy just got out of prison a minute and a half ago, he's not anywhere near game shape yet - and it's entirely possible he DOES have personal matters to contend with considering. Plus he was notoroiously absent from almost every practice his last year or two with the Giants with some ache/pain but come gameday he was there. I ain't gonna pitch a fit until he starts missing regular season games.

And I do think injuries could be a problem on offense, given you're counting on three 30+ players (Mason, Plax, Tomlinson) to be big parts of the offense...but we're not there yet.

I can't find the exact quote, but he compared the Jets defense to the '85 Bears and basically said they were on the same level. Fat Rex shot it down immediately though, which isn't surprising in this case. He may be a blow-hard, but the dude knows defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users