1787 replies to this topic

#1321 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

I think the secret strength this season for the Jets will be the offensive line.. and look out if that’s the case. Because when Sanchez has the time, he can make the plays.
If you go back and watch the tape from the Bills game, the majority of Jason Smith’s snaps from Sunday came @ TE in jumbo packages. –-and holy sh!t did he look amazing! Maybe he was a bust with whatever he had to work on the Rams.. but he looks very good in how the Jets are using him now.

And then.. there’s Big`Aus. I’m not just saying this because I’m some homer, but Austin Howard at the end of the season might be the most improved player in the league. (and you can laugh at that comment all you want) He looks so fvcking amazing out there, it’s actually fascinating to watch. The guy went from CFL caliber, to NFL caliber in one offseason.. and if he keeps this up, we may be looking at an o’line that has 4 Probowlers instead of 3. Say all you want about it “being only one game” ..but Mario Williams is Mario Williams. *Little known fact; Howard converted to OT very late in his college career.. (and at only 25 years old) ..I’m thinking all the guy may have needed was some extra grooming and TLC for a team to show him.

I think for the next couple of weeks, teams are going to be trying to get at Sanchez with straight defensive plays.. assuming that last seasons reputation of our offensive line being weak will be enough for an easy task. But as the year progresses, opponents will start sending the house to try to get at him.. because they’ll understand that this o’line is for real.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#1322 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,327 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

The Bills were laughably bad. But the Jets were surprisingly good, given they couldn't put any drives together in the preseason. That was fun yesterday. If Stephen Hill is a real threat, this coould be a different offense. I still don't like Shonn Greene and am very sketptical about Sanchez, but whatever, let's see what happens.

I have almost no worries about the defense. This is the best D-line we've had in years.

It will be interesting to see how they fare against Pittsburgh without Revis potentially.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1323 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

It will be interesting to see how they fare against Pittsburgh without Revis potentially.

If they can somehow win this game it would set them up quite well for the rest of the season. Their schedule isn't too difficult and they'd be 2-0 when many pundits probably would've had them at 0-2

We never play well in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers will be a surly 0-1. Brown/Wallace is a tremendous 1-2 punch at receiver and will be nearly impossible to stop if Revis is out. Plus Heath Miller (let's see if the Jets get torched by a TE again this year) On the flip side, their D has age in some key spots and it doesn't seem like they can get to the QB like they did before. Could be a surprisingly high scoring game
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1324 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,327 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

If they can somehow win this game it would set them up quite well for the rest of the season. Their schedule isn't too difficult and they'd be 2-0 when many pundits probably would've had them at 0-2

We never play well in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers will be a surly 0-1. Brown/Wallace is a tremendous 1-2 punch at receiver and will be nearly impossible to stop if Revis is out. Plus Heath Miller (let's see if the Jets get torched by a TE again this year) On the flip side, their D has age in some key spots and it doesn't seem like they can get to the QB like they did before. Could be a surprisingly high scoring game

I agree and would LOVE to see Pittsburgh start 0-2. J-E-T-S (3x)
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1325 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,213 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

The early part of the schedule is a little rough with this road game against Pittsburgh and then matchups with San Francisco, Houston, and New England in a 4-week span starting in Week 4. After the bye, however, it really gets softer: St. Louis, Arizona, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tennessee, Seattle (some think those last two (three?) teams could be playoff contenders but I'm not buying that all); winning one of the home games against New England and San Diego could be do-able too (ahem, San Diego).

Give me 4-4 entering the bye and I'll be happy; that would require just beating up on Miami (twice) and Indy. If they steal one in Pittsburgh, 5-3 (which would be excellent) could be pretty realistic but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by nmigliore, 13 September 2012 - 08:51 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1326 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

The early part of the schedule is a little rough with this road game against Pittsburgh and then matchups with San Francisco, Houston, and New England in a 4-week span starting in Week 4. After the bye, however, it really gets softer: St. Louis, Arizona, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tennessee, Seattle (some think those last two (three?) teams could be playoff contenders but I'm not buying that all); winning one of the home games against New England and San Diego could be do-able too (ahem, San Diego).

Give me 4-4 entering the bye and I'll be happy; that would require just beating up on Miami (twice) and Indy. If they steal one in Pittsburgh, 5-3 (which would be excellent) could be pretty realistic but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The entire NFC West is a joke and has been for some time. I almost look at it as the AHL of the NFL. Even San Fran gets a tad overrated playing in that division. They're probably more of a 10-6 team at heart that got bumped to 13-3 last year playing the garbage in that division. Seattle, Arizona, St. Louis. No way those teams should be able to move the ball on us at all

Miami always concerns me because the Jets game is their superbowl. Jax always plays us tough, but they're kind of an anonymous, no name team who we should be able to take care of.

I'm going to get greedy here. 6-2 going into the bye. Losses to Pittsburgh (that's a black hole for us anyway) and New England. Or perhaps we get fired up and beat New England and drop one to Miami.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1327 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Miami always concerns me because the Jets game is their superbowl. Jax always plays us tough, but they're kind of an anonymous, no name team who we should be able to take care of.
I'm going to get greedy here. 6-2 going into the bye. Losses to Pittsburgh (that's a black hole for us anyway) and New England. Or perhaps we get fired up and beat New England and drop one to Miami.

..even if you want to say we lose to the Texans in 3 weeks.. and lose to the 49ers the week before that.. BOTH games to the Patriots, and sh!t, even throw in Sunday's game and say the Steelers beat us. That still leaves St. Louis, Arizona, Titans, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Indy, San Diego and Miami two times.

I think 10-6 is a realistic possibility for the Jets this season.. and in a fading AFC, where we were fighting to make the playoffs last season up till the final game of the year (which would've only made us 9-7) 10 wins should be enough for a postseason birth.

Edited by Beezer34, 14 September 2012 - 09:41 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#1328 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,213 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I think we should just be happy we aren't in the NFC. We may not have a good shot at beating the Pats for the division, but the rest of the league is pretty mediocre outside of the top teams in each division. In other words, it shouldn't take much to grab a wild card spot. Pittsburgh could win one spot (or Baltimore if you think Pittsburgh wins the North, which I don't), but who wins the other one? Do the Bengals scare anyone? Do any of the non-Texans AFC South teams scare anyone? I think the biggest competition could come from someone like San Diego or Kansas City, but the Jets should definitely be in that mix, and again, the soft 2nd half of the schedule helps.

The NFC wild card race, on the other hand, could be pretty... wild: 2 of the Eagles, Cowboys, Giants; the Saints or Falcons; 2 of the Packers, Lions, and Bears. I'm not saying it will work out that way, but on paper, you could be looking at 5 pretty good teams in a dog fight for 2 spots. The AFC pales in comparison to that, which is nice for the Jets.

Edited by nmigliore, 14 September 2012 - 10:15 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1329 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,076 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

What an awful, pathetic joke of a team. Looked great for one quarter, yippee. A little adversity and they morphed back into last year's team again, Santonio being a p*ssy, Sanchez being the stiff that can't throw straight, a conservative offense, a defense that bullies bad teams but can't stop good ones, etc.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1330 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Well, without Revis this is a far different defense. Plus we can't tackle at all, and when Rapelesberger starts squirming out of tackles...you're dead. They did a decent job against the run when it mattered, but with no consistent pass rush....there is nothing you can do.

Kerley...look the fvcking ball into your hands first

landry with a stupid personal foul (this is something we're going to have to live with with him

I'm not going to be too hard on sanchez...many times it wasn't his fault (cumberland not turning around for the ball) plus no Keller. He's the one guy mark has had consistently and has good chemistry with

plus Greene went out for a while right after we established the running game.

Where was Stephen hill this entire game?

Edited by '7', 16 September 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#1331 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,076 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Sanchez cowered away once Timmons hit him with that headshot, everything was five yards over a reciever's head after that, other than the few he actually got on target that Holme$ dropped.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1332 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

I wasn't making Superbowl predictions last week.. and I won't be jumping off bridges after today either. 
Here's the deal.. the Jets played one of the best teams, one of the best defenses, with one of the best quarterbacks in the league. They played them in a place that's very hard to win in.. and they did it without Revis, Keller, Thomas, or Greene for nearly ½ the game. I'm not making excuses here, I'm stating facts. The Steelers had a time-of-possession of nearly 40 minutes! If the Jets won this game, it would've been one of the more impressive regular season victories under Ryan's tenure. They were 7 point underdogs for a reason folks.. and much of that had to do with everything stated above. Pittsburgh hasn't gone 0-2 in over a decade, and today they showed why.
There are a million places to point to that one could try and focus on in why we came up short today. Lack of Tebow\Wildcat.. Kerley's fumble.. Sparano's conservative gameplan.. etc. Even Sanchez's stats could be suspect.. but if our receivers don't drop 8 passes, Sanchez's numbers are fine. Holmes was targeted 11 times.. yet had only 3 receptions. That's unacceptable, and if I'm Rex I send a message to him next week, and have him be a decoy WR. This wasn't a home game, nor was it against a; "team we were supposed to beat" either.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm pissed as hell, because I REALLY wanted this game for multiple reasons. But in the end, it's a long season. We were 1-1 in 2010, and finished 11-5 for the year. We were 2-0 last season, and how'd that turn out?

Edited by Beezer34, 16 September 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#1333 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,076 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

The Steelers also didn't have Polamalu and Harrison (not to mention Mendenhall), don't bring up injuries or their great defense.

How many years has it been since New England lost to a team like Arizona at home? History's not reason to lose a game. Not even not to lose, they didn't even belong on the same field the last three quarters.

If they don't win next week they're in deep trouble with Houston, SF, NE, etc ahead. They might be in trouble anyway with how bad this offense is, fluke explosion last week aside.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 16 September 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#1334 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

The Steelers also didn't have Polamalu and Harrison (not to mention Mendenhall), don't bring up injuries or their great defense.

How many years has it been since New England lost to a team like Arizona at home? History's not reason to lose a game. Not even not to lose, they didn't even belong on the same field the last three quarters.

If they don't win next week they're in deep trouble with Houston, SF, NE, etc ahead. They might be in trouble anyway with how bad this offense is, fluke explosion last week aside.

kinda stole my thunder w/that miami comment. is next week a must win if your the jets?

#1335 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Harrison hasn't practiced in a year.. hasn't had a training camp.. and hasn't played a down of football since January. He may have been more of a liability out there -vs- an asset. Polamalu's a great player, but he's no Revis.

Answer me this Has.. where did you have the Jets after Week 2 when you saw the schedule in July?? Be honest.
It's unfair to dismiss last weeks performace as a fluke, just because the Bills defense isn't ranked #1 like Pittsburgh's. I understand the frustration, but let's be honest. The Jets lost to a better team.. nothing more.

#1336 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,076 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

I didn't have them winning but I thought they could win or at least be competitive. Any good they accomplished last week got thrown out this week, it's not that they lost - it's that they looked like they were playing Madden 12 at the All-Madden level their first time using a PS3 controller. Eventually you're going to have to beat 'some' good teams on the road to really win anything.

And to be honest Pittsburgh didn't impress me at all last week when I saw them against Denver. Especially with UPS guys running the ball for them and o-line problems almost as bad as ours. Of course Ben can mask that somewhat with his size and escapability but still.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 16 September 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#1337 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,327 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yesterday, was such a winable game for the Jets based on Pittsburgh's depleted roster and rookie Offensive line. Jets looked far too intimidated. Thanks for nothing.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1338 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yesterday, was such a winable game for the Jets based on Pittsburgh's depleted roster and rookie Offensive line. Jets looked far too intimidated. Thanks for nothing.

I think Rex & Sparano are still learning about how\when to use Tim Tebow. Thus-far, they've been pretty ass backwards. Last week he does nothing, yet they put him in for a dozen plays. This week we don't see him 'till the 3rd quarter.. his first play in he runs for over 20 yrds.. and then you don't see him again after that.

#1339 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

Steelers in this game were like Packers back on Thursday night: a good team that has too much pride to lose at home to go down 0-2. They needed a victory far more than us in this one. Also, I doubt the Jets have a serious way to make up for playing without Revis. Does any player who doesn't throw the ball matter more to his team than Revis?
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#1340 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

your a jets fan manta?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users