24 replies to this topic

#21 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

It's all about pumping more money into marketing. You can make anything popular with enough $$$. fvck, do you hear some of the sh!t on the radio? The sport itself doesn't need to be changed.

+1. The marketing is piss poor. The Winter Classic is one good thing, but it is still going against Bowl Games, and other sporting events which people care more about. Players like Parise, Crosby, Ovechkin should be household names like LeBron, Brady and A-Rod. (yes it is nice to dream)

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#22 Motor City Devil

Motor City Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

Great topic! From a rules stand point, I would do what ever I could to reduce the number of whistles. Here are a few ideas:

1) Eliminate the red line (center ice line) - This would eliminate half of the icings, and allow teams to try more stretch passes.
2) Make both blue lines wider. Since you can't make the ice surface wider because the rinks can't grow (and teams won't give up premium seats), you can make the zones "feel" bigger by making the blue line wider (maybe 2 - 3 feet wide). This has the effect of making every zone larger, and gives teams a bit more room to maneuver.
3) Implement an icing rule on penalty kills - since you are giving teams a break on the center ice line, it might be neat to have icing for just blasting the puck out of your own end. This would hopefully eliminate stupid penalties, and create more excitement on PP's.

I actually like some of what the league is doing so far to make the game faster. I'm not sure the NHL will ever have a national following like NBA or NFL - do you really think random people in a "good NHL city" would sit and watch any two teams play from another division? Would a Dev's fan watch Phoenix play Dallas just because it was on TV? Unlikely, but that's exactly what the NFL and NBA have going for them. The NHL needs to capitalize on people going to games or watching a regional rivalry. I don't know how they do that, but they should give up all of this national following crap. Waste of money.
Re-educating Wings fans since 1995.

#23 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

Rule changes won't get more people interested in the sport. These are nuances that the majority of "kinda" hockey fans could give a crap about.

Marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#24 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Am I the only one who prefers hockey remain a "niche" sport? :whistling:
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#25 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

Am I the only one who prefers hockey remain a "niche" sport? :whistling:

It needs to thrive financially for the sport to remain around for the long haul....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users