#1 Motor City Devil

Motor City Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

Associated Press
"GENEVA -- NHL veteran Richard Park has signed a three-year contract with Swiss club Geneva-Servette."

Richard Park is a good player, I was surprised to read this at first. Upon later reflection, I think this is just another example of an above-average player not getting paid what he is worth and going elsewhere to play / earn a living. The NHL should be trying to keep guys like this in the league... Too bad for the Islanders.
Full Article

Edited by Motor City Devil, 09 September 2010 - 07:38 PM.

Re-educating Wings fans since 1995.

#2 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

Associated Press
"GENEVA -- NHL veteran Richard Park has signed a three-year contract with Swiss club Geneva-Servette."

Richard Park is a good d-man, I was surprised to read this at first. Upon later reflection, I think this is just another example of an above-average player not getting paid what he is worth and going elsewhere to play / earn a living. The NHL should be trying to keep guys like this in the league... Too bad for the Islanders.
Full Article

richard park plays the wing....

#3 Motor City Devil

Motor City Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

richard park plays the wing....

You're right - sorry! fixed...
Re-educating Wings fans since 1995.

#4 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

he's not really above average, and he's 34. hard to tell what he is because the Isles just throw cheap sh!t out there and see what sticks.

#5 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

I could be wrong but it was my understanding that the Islanders aren't really in a position where they need to squeeze guys out to comply with the cap.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#6 matcat1116

matcat1116

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

I could be wrong but it was my understanding that the Islanders aren't really in a position where they need to squeeze guys out to comply with the cap.

You'd be right.. The decision to get rid of Park was just a matter of making room for younger guys shooting for a spot on the NHL roster. Why should Richard Park take the spot that Nino Niederreiter (5th overall this year) could take?
Posted Image

#7 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

he's not really above average, and he's 34. hard to tell what he is because the Isles just throw cheap sh!t out there and see what sticks.

Yea his days of having value are over. Realistically he was a decent player at best and the peak of his career came in the early 2000's when he was playing worthy 2 way hockey on Minnesota's third line and PK.

Edited by ben00rs, 09 September 2010 - 08:37 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#8 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

Richard Park is a mediocre player at best. That's the way I see him anyway.

#9 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

You'd be right.. The decision to get rid of Park was just a matter of making room for younger guys shooting for a spot on the NHL roster. Why should Richard Park take the spot that Nino Niederreiter (5th overall this year) could take?

Yea thought so, so this isn't really a cap casualty.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#10 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

wow, wouldn't have guessed this would happen to a guy like Park

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#11 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

park was the most dangerous player islanders had. he always found a way to sneak in for a wide angle goal. i'm glad he's gone.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#12 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

Now we're gonna get a bunch of Korean posters signing up to tell us how he's such a great player and how he was cheated by an American team yadda yadda yadda...oh wait, this isn't speed skating...
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#13 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

Park wasn't going to help the Islanders reach the next level. Let them give the roster spot to another player who can help them.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

park was the most dangerous player islanders had. he always found a way to sneak in for a wide angle goal. i'm glad he's gone.

well, lets be honest, the wide/impossible angle goals have become commonplace with marty...

but yes park was a Devils killer

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#15 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:24 AM

Say what you want about his age or lack of value to a youth-based team. He worked his ass off every night. Great PK man too.
Which is more than I can say for our $5M albatross.
He was the NYI's John Madden minus the crucial cup experience.
Loved this guy's work ethic... if only for the fact that he was a surefire bet to lay in some SHG's consistently against the Rangers.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#16 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:33 AM

I remember this guy being a pain in the a$$ against us the last few seasons.

He always put in a shift, especially for a guy who isn't the biggest of players.

On the plus side its nice to see more NHL players making their way to European sides that arn't in Russia and Sweden. Hopefully the distribution will end up with more tallented players making their way to the UK.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#17 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Just to point out, in his 4 years on the Islanders:

Park played 26 games against the Devils. He had 3 goals and 5 assists and was a -10.

In his past 2 years, he played 10 games against the Devils. He had 1 goal and 1 assist and was a -6.

Edited by ben00rs, 10 September 2010 - 02:23 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users