150 replies to this topic

#101 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,499 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

neids was beyond numbers - that's the point of why i think he was so great.

I dunno, Nieds was a force defensively, but I think people remember him being a lot better on the offensive end as a Devil than he really was. All those 30-40 point years aren't overwhelming. He cracked 50 points twice in 12 seasons as a Devils, that's not a guy being an offensive dynamo.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#102 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

niedermayer is barely in the discussion without his anaheim career. the 3 stanley cups may get him over the finish line, since the HHOF is horrible at actually figuring out who the best hockey players are, but i doubt it.

The only comparable defensemen I think who was clearly better for Niedermayer's prime is Lidstrom. But I think Lidstrom is the Greatest Defenseman of all time (in terms of absolute talent and ability, not relative talent and ability, that title will always be orr's). If Nieds retires in 05 is he the only puck mover you put in the HHOF? The guy was the complete package, Devils have clearly missed him every postseason since he left.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#103 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

From a purely individual standpoint, I thought Niedermayer was a slight disappointment considering how much talent he had. He blossomed late in his tenure here, but all through the 1990s and early 2000s, I think he fell a little short, and I'm not inclined to blame the defensive system 100%. I think he coasted on his talent a little. He was a terrific player, but he's a cut below number retirement in my mind.

#104 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,499 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

The only comparable defensemen I think who was clearly better for Niedermayer's prime is Lidstrom. But I think Lidstrom is the Greatest Defenseman of all time (in terms of absolute talent and ability, not relative talent and ability, that title will always be orr's). If Nieds retires in 05 is he the only puck mover you put in the HHOF? The guy was the complete package, Devils have clearly missed him every postseason since he left.

To flip that argument around, do you induct guys who only played in 3 all star games to the hall of fame? Only made the first all star team at the end of season once? And only made second team one other time as well.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#105 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

To flip that argument around, do you induct guys who only played in 3 all star games to the hall of fame? Only made the first all star team at the end of season once? And only made second team one other time as well.

Well obviously if you throw out Anaheim it's not as strong a case for Nieds, since it's 5 out of 16 years, including 3 of his best. And I concede it's not a slam dunk or anything. But I personally thought he was great, and I guess the rest of league's fans/hockey writers were not in agreement (thus the few all star games). I think this is partly due the fact that so few hockey fans/writers can properly judge defensive ability. Without great stats there is no real objective way to do it (Although I think some people are doing a better job of doing it now with Corsi numbers, etc).

Nieds was under the radar because he didn't put up Gonchar offensive numbers, when he was so much better defensively, it just wasn't apparent to anyone other than Devils fans.

In any case, I certainly think he deserves to have his jersey retired in NJ, and I don't really have much to go on besides my personal opinion from years of observing him.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#106 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:33 AM

and his character on the Devils is of no value.

Why did they retire Dano's number then?

To everyone's point - you don't retire a guy's number because he's HoF material.

You retire him for what he means to your team, your fans. Because he's made you proud of your team.

If Lou is all for this I see it as an act of stubbornness, Retiring Neids is taking ownership of his talent - but if you're going to do that you need a guy to have represented you honorably. Using fake self-effaciousness to avoid responsibility is not a credit to the team. To me what he said wasn't out of respect - when Marty implied Nieds was strong silent -- I see that as resentment for being asked to do a job for a team and a system he really didn't even buy into. He was honest - I do see that.

I'd have no problem calling him soft-spoken - EXCEPT that he wasn't - not an iota. He MADE that Anaheim team. You don't retire a guys number who was too fvcking COWED by the GM and the system to produce -- I don't know. Maybe Lou sees it differently - based on comments Larry RObinson didn't when he had to kick his scrawny ass to get him to live up to his potential. teh team floundered under his lead exactly as they have since - the team plays GREAT regular season STILL and can't get it up on the playoffs. Neids didn't bring that sort of leadership to the Devils on his own as he did for Anaheim. He felt zero ownership for the team or the system.

Nieds is NOT quiet. He is RELUCTANT -- and reluctant for THE DEVILS only..... and you want to reward him for succeeding as best as he could through his own reluctance? It's just f'd up to me. and no one deals it here - you all ignore me or chalk it up to some personal issue I have with the guy.

What do you all think Neidermayer thinks of his time here? What do you think he feels about this team? Would he give his all for this team the way Stevens and Dano did? The way Marty has? THAT is the question. He'll go into the hall of fame - as a Devil? or Duck? If the choice was his do you think he'd go in as devil? THIS is what you ask yourself when you talk about retiring a number... unless you know you want to retire Ray Bourque like Colorado did.

If thsi team was his parent - yes, his number gets retired despite his thankless attitude (lip service aside). You still love the fvcker who gives you full credit for making him the man he is and prays he never turns into anything like you nor does he ever want to see you again once he;s left your cloying grasp.

The truth of the matter - fvck it I'll say it --- it's disrespectful to the other numbers up there. The guys up there will say Hell yeah! Put Neids up there - he's our brother - we all made him what he became. It;s honor to be there with him. But lets be real. The truth of the matter is that at this point it diminished the other numbers. and it will diminish Maryt's induction. Lou has to do what he has to do - btu it hasn't been wittingly earned and hanging it up seems liek it's an honor to the Devils SOLELY, not any honor Nieds will recognize. Not beyond the ceremony anyhow. Deep in his heart he will scoff. Deaper yeah, he'll be proud -- but he;ll always find the cynical Carol take first -- TRUST me on that.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 20 September 2010 - 08:05 AM.

I'm here for the party

#107 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

Lol, Good post ^^

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#108 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

Sorry, Paul Martin and Scott Niedermayer do not belong in the same sentence. Martin was/is a good player. Niedermayer is a Hall of Famer.

Thank god someone said this... Many of you seem to have selective memory, and the fact the Nied tunred down a bigger contract from Nj to play elsewhere has many of you some pissed that you forget how great he was. No hedidn't have career ending checks like Stevens, but he had some Huge playoff goals, and if I remember correctly he lead the Devs in playoff scoring during the 2003 cup run ( i could be wrong)..

To compare martin to Neids is like comparing Dany to Stevens, and I love dano,... but lets get real!!

Stop acting like jilted lovers and realize how great a devil Neids was,,,,
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#109 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

Sorry, Paul Martin and Scott Niedermayer do not belong in the same sentence. Martin was/is a good player. Niedermayer is a Hall of Famer.

Thank you, Capo! I'm beginning to think the earth has passed through some kind of nexis where normally logical posters have had their synapses re-wired. Scott Nieds was a MAJOR part of 3 Stanley Cup championships for this franchise. There should have been a fourth. He did this on a team that values performing your role on the team above all else. In that regard, he was the consumate team player. And now he's getting compared to that near-stiff Martin? Sheesh.
Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#110 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,746 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

pronger. possibly chara, although i suspect you won't allow players who only started to play norris-worthy hockey at 30 (even though niedermayer was the same way). sergei zubov is arguable. brian leetch, probably not, but he belongs in the discussion. certainly guys like ray bourque and al macinnis for the early part of his career. in all, it wasn't that great an era for defensemen.

i don't get it. niedermayer NEVER played the toughest minutes in new jersey, besides ONE season. stevens et. al played against the toughest players. now he might've faced the toughest defensemen against his line, but he probably had the best forwards, too. it's just a damned shame we don't have advanced stats.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#111 hattrick

hattrick

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

I'm on board with retiring #27. I always have been in favor of this.
Good Is Not Good Where Better Is Expected

#112 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Raise the banner next season. Lets make sure he really is retired! I wouldnt be surprised if hes in the same mold as a Selanne/Favre when it comes to retiring

Edited by devlman, 20 September 2010 - 09:17 AM.

#113 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

The man won three cups as a Devil. He was with the Devils for the majority of his career. I don't care that he left to play wth his brother, family comes firt and it was admirable that he wanted to play with his brother. I'm on board with retiring his number.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#114 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

You can't retire one Niedermayer without retiring the other. They come as a package. Posted Image

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#115 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Retire his number.

Just, not this year. Let's focus on raising a different banner this year.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#116 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:46 PM

Retire his number.

Just, not this year. Let's focus on raising a different banner this year.

Despite my vitriol this is my personal opinion.

I'm here for the party

#117 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Without Nieds, its very possible the Devils are still in search of their first Championship.

He scored a great goal and was a part of that squad, but was not in the top 4 of our D. that was Stevens, Driver, Albelin, Chambers.
His growth did allow us to move Fetisov

#118 Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Nieds was way better than his stats. All for #27 hanging from the rafters.

#119 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

but he didn't give the team hi ALL! :rant: That's the thing of it. and for going in the rafters you have to have given willingly -- JOYFULLY EVEN! that's just my point... and no on even cares :evilcry:

except RIZZ ... :smilegah:

I'm here for the party

#120 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

retire his number after he's in the Hall of Fame.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users