Photo

Facebook founder to give 100 million dollars to Newark schools.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

Tax write off/media diversion or not - I have a new respect for Zuckerberg.
http://news.yahoo.co...g-movie-release

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#2 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,591 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

http://www.njdevs.co...showtopic=76234
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#3 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

http://www.njdevs.co...showtopic=76234

oops My bad. But it's so much better when I start the topic. Posted Image

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#4 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

Sammy this has been more of the Newark section, so I think maybe the admin should move it over here.

#5 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

Interesting viewpoints on this...

http://www.cnn.com/2...tion/index.html

oh and if you want to see how someone could actually have a problem with a gift...look at the ugly side of Newark...
http://newarkspeaks....ead.php?t=11202

#6 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

$100 million down the crapper!

#7 sirjohn

sirjohn

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

They already spend the most in the country per pupil; more money will do nothing.

#8 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

They already spend the most in the country per pupil; more money will do nothing.

Newark spends more money per student than anyone else in the country? Really? Find me something to back that up and I'll believe it
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Newark spends more money per student than anyone else in the country? Really? Find me something to back that up and I'll believe it

http://www.foxnews.c...k-schools-gift/

The money hasn't even arrived, but it's already creating a buzz in Newark, where three out of five third-graders can't read and write at their grade level. Barely half the students who begin high school manage to graduate, and most of them do so without passing the state's standard graduation exam.

Education advocates in New Jersey call for similar steps to be taken in Newark, where more money is spent per pupil than any other city in a state that ranks near the top in per-pupil funding.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#10 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:04 AM

Still doesn't say that it spends more per student than anywhere in the country. Just state.

#11 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:19 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/25/tarnished-newark-sees-glittering-gold-failures-reflection-facebook-schools-gift/

So what you're saying is even Fox News can't prove that Newark spends more money on its students than any other district in the country.. Hell, the article makes no mention of the cost per student at all, and even cites credible sources saying that the money could go to things the school's need in order to turn things around.. Makes me support this even more
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

So what you're saying is even Fox News can't prove that Newark spends more money on its students than any other district in the country.. Hell, the article makes no mention of the cost per student at all, and even cites credible sources saying that the money could go to things the school's need in order to turn things around.. Makes me support this even more

You mean it's not enough for you that Newark spends more per pupil than any other NJ district, with unacceptable results for that money spent? Alrighty ...

#13 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:58 PM

I thought being arguably the worst spenders in NJ was bad, I guess it's not bad enough.

http://online.wsj.co...2745513134.html

Newark spends about $22,000 a year on each of its 40,000 pupils, but only about half of its students graduate. Of those who do, only one-fifth go on to four-year colleges. More than 85% of the Newark students at community colleges need remedial help in math and English.

The donation has the potential to be matched by another $100 million that Mr. Booker has been working on raising from private foundations and others. The $200 million that could be raised would amount to more than 20% of Newark's budget of $940 million.

http://online.wsj.co...1825702604.html

"Resources are always helpful, we obviously welcome it," said Shavar Jeffries, president of the advisory school board in Newark. However, "I don't think money is our primary problem," said Mr. Jeffries, a professor at Seton Hall Law School and a founder of a Newark charter school. The problem is "the civil-service bureaucracy that is not performance-based." Mr. Shavar favors an evaluation system based, in part, on teachers' ability to have students show progress on standardized tests.

Edited by Devils731, 22 December 2010 - 01:02 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#14 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

You mean it's not enough for you that Newark spends more per pupil than any other NJ district, with unacceptable results for that money spent? Alrighty ...

Ok but I would also argue that newark schools like Science deserve a lot of money because they take the brighter students out of bad classrooms and provide them with resources to succeed.. I think it's good for improving Newark as a whole.. So I'd have to see the breakdown of where all this money is going, because I find it hard to believe they are spending the most in the state and still have crappy buildings, supplies, textbooks, overcrowded classes, etc.. That doesn't add up
Posted Image

#15 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

And of course the money is already being mismanaged with corruption:

http://www.nj.com/ne...k_donation.html

#16 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

And of course the money is already being mismanaged with corruption:

http://www.nj.com/ne...k_donation.html

Where does the article say that? I mean I see that some money was given to a foundation that used to be run by Cerf, but that foundation has done great work (and that was before they were given this money).. Money was given to consultants with ties to Booker? My god, so he gives money to people he's familiar with and knows the quality work they do, and thats a problem? Yeah he should have picked names out of a hat..

All I really get from this article is that the money was given to people Booker/Cerf are familiar with, and now other groups are whining that they don't get a say in the decision process or any money from this.. It's a little early to be declaring corruption, plus if it really was corruption then Zuckerberg just wouldn't send anymore money.. Like Booker or anyone else is going to blatantly do something to piss off and abuse the guy who has still promised to send $135 million more to the city

Edited by Colin226, 27 October 2011 - 06:11 PM.

Posted Image

#17 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

You can take it either way, I can see people being suspicious especially when it comes to the way the City typically spends it's money or you can take it as the Ledger, who tends to be on the teachers union side of the argument, looking for problems with those that are publicly argued for blowing up the current patronage pit that is the Newark school system.

#18 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

Where does the article say that? I mean I see that some money was given to a foundation that used to be run by Cerf, but that foundation has done great work (and that was before they were given this money).. Money was given to consultants with ties to Booker? My god, so he gives money to people he's familiar with and knows the quality work they do, and thats a problem? Yeah he should have picked names out of a hat..

All I really get from this article is that the money was given to people Booker/Cerf are familiar with, and now other groups are whining that they don't get a say in the decision process or any money from this.. It's a little early to be declaring corruption, plus if it really was corruption then Zuckerberg just wouldn't send anymore money.. Like Booker or anyone else is going to blatantly do something to piss off and abuse the guy who has still promised to send $135 million more to the city

Come on now, Colin. How much money is going to 'consulting'? The complaint isnt that he gave the job to friends, its the breakdown of the distribution of money so far. Why has the majority of $13 million gone to consulting? Is that much really needed for consulting? Booker and his crew dont already know what needs funding in the schools? No money has even gone to any public schools yet.

Zuckerberg probably doesnt really care. Hes gotten his good publicity, and the corruption is hidden under the guise of 'consulting'.

Lets just hope the money starts going to schools that need it now.

#19 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

Come on now, Colin. How much money is going to 'consulting'? The complaint isnt that he gave the job to friends, its the breakdown of the distribution of money so far. Why has the majority of $13 million gone to consulting? Is that much really needed for consulting? Booker and his crew dont already know what needs funding in the schools? No money has even gone to any public schools yet.

Zuckerberg probably doesnt really care. Hes gotten his good publicity, and the corruption is hidden under the guise of 'consulting'.

Lets just hope the money starts going to schools that need it now.

Who are we to speculate what costs are necessary? But you don't get this kind of money and just start throwing it random places.. It's very common to bring in consultants to collaborate on things like this.. I don't see any evidence of actual corruption, just a bunch of groups complaining that they weren't given a say in where/who got the cash..

And somehow I don't think Zuckerberg would be cool with people just taking his money.. Come on, you think he's fine with just giving away millions of dollars to greedy people?

And no, most of the money hasn't gone to consultants:

While the foundation — the group created to distribute the money — spent $7.4 million between January and September of this year on school-based programs

Edited by Colin226, 02 November 2011 - 07:52 AM.

Posted Image

#20 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

Colin, re-read my post please. My point is the amount of money that has gone to 'consulting'. Can anyone prove the amount has been unnecesary? No. Does it sound like a BS amount? Sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users