233 replies to this topic

#41 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

Clarkson has been improving every year he's been with us. Last year he was on pace for a 40 point season if he would have stayed healthy. Yes, his play dropped a bit after the injury, but that is pretty typical, especially after a player's first major injury of his career. If Clarkson can put up 40 points every season and nothing more, I would be a happy camper. I don't understand why the rest of you are expecting Elias numbers. Clarkson will never be a consistently deft player who can put up 50-60 points. He will be a gritty, dirty player who through stumbling, falling and flailing will produce 20-20-40 seasons, and for $2.66M, I'm perfectly fine with that.

#42 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

Clarkson seems like our only player (besides kovy) who wants to absolutely destroy sean avery. i say keep him!

#43 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

I honestly stopped reading after this.

psst. don't read this. i bet you did. if you did, then you have to reply. and then i win. haha
Put food on my family

#44 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

Ok seriously though, we are first to cast the first stone when we don't see people scoring goals every night like Kovalchuk or Parise. Yes, it's preseason, but there's that fan instinct in all of us that don't ever want to see the Devils lose, even if it's just a stupid exhibition game. However, clarkson and even zuby are the guys playing with some actual heart out there, finishing checks, diggin for pucks in the corners, taking hits and makin hits when it counts. just cuz they don't have 30+ goal seasons doesn't mean they aren't productive for this team. Just have faith and like other people said, we have other people on the team that we would rather seen moved than a guy like Clarkson. Someone's gotta kick some ass while PL3 is doing 5 minutes in the box, ya know?
Put food on my family

#45 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Ok seriously though, we are first to cast the first stone when we don't see people scoring goals every night like Kovalchuk or Parise. Yes, it's preseason, but there's that fan instinct in all of us that don't ever want to see the Devils lose, even if it's just a stupid exhibition game. However, clarkson and even zuby are the guys playing with some actual heart out there, finishing checks, diggin for pucks in the corners, taking hits and makin hits when it counts. just cuz they don't have 30+ goal seasons doesn't mean they aren't productive for this team. Just have faith and like other people said, we have other people on the team that we would rather seen moved than a guy like Clarkson. Someone's gotta kick some ass while PL3 is doing 5 minutes in the box, ya know?

It's true, he does all of those things and I appreciate that. My issue with Clarkson though is that at the same time he is a horrible skater, stickhandler, and decision maker with the puck. If he improved those things, I wouldn't have such a problem with only getting around 30 points.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#46 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

psst. don't read this. i bet you did. if you did, then you have to reply. and then i win. haha

...damn you, sir, damn you. :giggle:

I think age plays a big role here...clarkson's 26 vs zubrus' 32.

We're stuck with zubrus for another three years to boot at a pretty bad (if not awful) contract.

Clarkson brings energy to the third line. He's not a scorer (obviously). He has his 'wow, holy sht where did that come from' moments, but overall if he goes out, throws a couple hits and creates some energy I'm happy.

I don't want to compare him a glorified 4th liner (because he isn't), but I see him as a few steps above one. Hits, fights, but can actually skate and score...and at a reasonable salary [See: Milan Lucic].

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#47 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

I think age plays a big role here...clarkson's 26 vs zubrus' 32.

We're stuck with zubrus for another three years to boot at a pretty bad (if not awful) contract.

Clarkson brings energy to the third line. He's not a scorer (obviously). He has his 'wow, holy sht where did that come from' moments, but overall if he goes out, throws a couple hits and creates some energy I'm happy.

I don't want to compare him a glorified 4th liner (because he isn't), but I see him as a few steps above one. Hits, fights, but can actually skate and score...and at a reasonable salary [See: Milan Lucic].

If you count energy as taking dumb retalitory penalties and going after guys who are smaller than him, then you hit the nail right on the head.

#48 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

i know theres people who agree with me on this but im gona be by myself on this one

I guess nobody watched the gm saturday since it wasnt on tv, or nobody went to it, if you were there you would of laughed at clarkson, he was pitiful, one play he was by himself in the slot and fanned twice then dropped his stick, tripped on the stick and went to the bench, the stick wasnt even broken thats the funny part i sat right behind the net and the stick was not broken, his passes were horrible, he held onto the puck forever and couldnt make anything out of it and his shots were pathetic....HE HAS NO SENSE out on the ice, he has those great games a couple times a year which makes you think we need to seal this guy for life, ive seen no improvement since hes been here

and yes zubrus is extremely overpaid but he brings a dynamic to the third or second line, hes a best on the boards and is a playmaker, if we trade clarkson what would we miss? his character on the ice? whatever

yes he improved over the last three years but i am still not pleased with him, and since his injury i have seen a downward spiral, and last nights game just pissed me off, he has no clue out there :noclue:

just sayin

#49 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

Victory is miiiiiineee!! haha :yay:
Put food on my family

#50 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

If you count energy as taking dumb retalitory penalties and going after guys who are smaller than him, then you hit the nail right on the head.

Ok, i will agree the penalty during the preseason game vs the rangers w/ avery was retarded, but i'm sure he got a lot of backlash from it after the game and we can hope that Maclean addressed the issue accordingly. But yes, when Avery goes after Kovalchuk, i expect Clarkson to kick the living sh!t outta him and not be an instigator and cost us a penalty.
Put food on my family

#51 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

I'm happy with Clarkson as a third-line player. It's shortsighted to focus exclusively on his weaknesses.

#52 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

Preseason? I guess you haven't watched Clarkson since the injury and in every playoffs. He has 2 career point in 20 playoff games. The only reason there is an increase in goals is because of his spike in PP ice time. At his price tag he is trash.

Except he is just starting to make this much money now. So you can't judge his past production based on his current salary. Also, if we judged just about any Devil on their recent playoff performances then almost all of them are "trash" at their price tags.

Clarkson is a good player who will add 35-40 points and a lot of grit and character to the lineup while being a bit overpaid.

However, going so far as to call Clarkson "trash" at his price tag is just about as wrong as it gets.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#53 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,424 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Clarkson is a very good young player who provides almost all of our physical play at forward.

I can understand why other teams want him.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#54 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

I say keep him. I buy into the belief that Clarkson wants to be a Devil. Sometimes a player's worth cannot be measured in goals and assists. I like players who want to wear a Devils jersey, want to play for NJ, and want to put their fist through Sean Avery's face.
Posted Image Posted Image

#55 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

I say keep him. I buy into the belief that Clarkson wants to be a Devil. Sometimes a player's worth cannot be measured in goals and assists. I like players who want to wear a Devils jersey, want to play for NJ, and want to put their fist through Sean Avery's face.

I agree. And it's not like he's the mascot out there, he can play.

#56 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

+1.

...especially the last part

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#57 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

THIS ^^

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#58 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Two Very Good Examples MBP (Youtube Videos). Two More Great Examples why he should stay:

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#59 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

so far theres been 4 videos posted on why clarkson should stay, one was a shootout, one was a breakaway, one was against one defenseman, the other was a random shot,show me clarkson doing something with traffic in front of him, thats when he has no clue :huh: and 95% of the time clarkson will have the puck with traffic in front of him, thats his weakness

Edited by Zubie#8, 04 October 2010 - 08:44 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#60 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users