233 replies to this topic

#61 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

very good sir, i want clarkson to do more of that and improve his rush into the zone with the puck

believe-zubrus.jpg

#62 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

Thats the thing, we all want that. He has proved that he can do it. He has proved that he can step up. He has said that this season he is expecting to do just that. This is the Devils, you need to have faith, esp when the players say have faith. He came into this team kinda being expected to be a fighter, and he did that. Then he started to show that he has some decent hands. He is still somewhat of a young player. He still has room to grow and he is growing it just isnt happening over night. When you have players like Parise (Who is clearly naturally skilled) Kovie (who is a great player) with someone like Clarkson on the bench, you sometimes expect alot out of a guy that cant produce on the same level. You know what Im saying? Look at Daneyko (Sure he was a Defensemen) but he only had 36 career NHL goals. Thats in 1283 Games.

Side Note: Clarkson had 11 goals last season. Langenbrunner had 19 goals.

Believe In Clarkson, He Will Score.

Edited by Quinn01, 04 October 2010 - 08:56 PM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#63 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

Zubrus and Clarkson will work really well together this year, especially if Zubrus can play wing at some point during the year. That 4th vid against the sharks, that was a great example of him backchecking really well there, in case you missed that Zubie. If you're looking for Clarkson to be scoring goals like Kovy or Parise, you're not going to see that every game. I think you're asking that he play outside of his role at times. With a player like Clarky, you need to be happy with any scoring you get out of him, and very happy when he gets those highlight reel goals.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#64 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

...lol

#65 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

1) Any number of us have complained that this team is too soft. Lost Clarkson, we're Charmin, even with the addition of the A-Train. He needs to cut back on frustration penalties, but we need somebody who'll take the body every shift and drop the gloves when he has to, and that's Clarkson.

2) He's a monster on the forecheck, and a decent backchecker. His skating problems mostly happen in the offensive zone where they can't hurt us, and while he needs to improve his hockey sense, he flat out raises hell. He's the opposite of Elias, who since the hepatitis has relied on brains, but (except in some big games) has protected his body some. Not a dig on Elias, but a TEAM needs different types of players, and Clarkson serves a specific purpose well. He's not making superstar money, nor is he getting first line minutes. He's valuable for what he does.

3) He's worked as hard as anyone to improve. He seems to add a new move every offseason, and seemed to really be putting it all together before the injury last year. Also, when he came back, JL had fvcked with the team so much NOBODY was playing smart hockey, including Zach. To expect a guy with Clarkie's skill set to come back from injury to a disjointed team with a coach who should have retired 5 years ago is crazy. Give him a chance to put it together in a new season with JL when he's healthy before you hate on him for not improving enough last year.

4) I know Lou's looked human sometimes, but Clarkie's young and Lou's had years to watch him develop. I get the feeling Lou knows what he's getting and gave him a smart contract. We should really trust the best GM in professional sports every once in awhile.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#66 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

Thats another thing he needs to start doing. Hes not a small dude. He needs to start using his size for not just fights but for charging the net. ^^

I mean Clarkson has only been around for 3 years. He is a very very young player. Hes 26 years old.

Parise is the same age and came to NJ in 2005 after being drafted in 2003.

Edited by Quinn01, 04 October 2010 - 09:09 PM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#67 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

I've said this many times in this forum in regards to David Clarkson. I like to hang onto guys that have worked their tail off to become an NHL player and want to be with the team that gave them a shot. It's an important element on good hockey teams IMO. Talent is the most important thing for winning, but players like David Clarkson give a hockey team a soul and some color. I think that fans who want him out of NJ don't comprehend that.

#68 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

I really have problems seeing where Clarkson is THAT physical of a player that you have all mentioned. Yeah he checks and all but when it comes to being tough, he only goes after guys who are smaller than him and I am not counting only Avery.

Also while I know he is not a goal-scorer, to think he will net 20 goals a season is nuts. He will always average around 10-15 as he just does not have the aptitude for goal-scoring.

#69 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

I really have problems seeing where Clarkson is THAT physical of a player that you have all mentioned. Yeah he checks and all but when it comes to being tough, he only goes after guys who are smaller than him and I am not counting only Avery.

Clarkson is a hard-nosed player but he is more of an agitator than a tough guy.

#70 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:46 AM

Clarkson is a hard-nosed player but he is more of an agitator than a tough guy.

Eh tough to see that because an agitator also gets the opposing teams players to commit dumb penalties. All I see is Clarkson committing dumb penalties.

#71 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

I don't know about his intelligence but Clarkson seems kind of like he's in the double digits in IQ

Edited by CarpathianForest, 05 October 2010 - 09:49 AM.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#72 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

I don't know about his intelligence but Clarkson seems kind of like he's in the double digits in IQ

You sure know the Devils players.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#73 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

That being said I still like Clarkson

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#74 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

That being said I still like Clarkson

I don't know how much David Clarkson you've seen but the only reason he's in the NHL is because he's a smart player with great character.

#75 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

I know Clarky is our boy and all, but lets be honest. He's mediocre at best and I don't really see him making any huge improvement.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#76 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

I don't know how much David Clarkson you've seen but the only reason he's in the NHL is because he's a smart player with great character.

Smart player and smart person are two different things. I would gather that you think Joe Thornton is a smart player but I've also read that he is kind of a bonehead. I said nothing about Clarkson's character. Anyway, I retract my comment about Clarkson being kind of dumb. I don't want to get into it.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#77 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

ah... and you being in single?

I'm here for the party

#78 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

I know Clarky is our boy and all, but lets be honest. He's mediocre at best and I don't really see him making any huge improvement.

based on what?

A lot of people don't know how to appreciate a player like Clarkson.

#79 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:34 PM

LOL at Clarkson becoming the new scapegoat before the season begins.

#80 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

He is my least favorite player on the team except for when he goes after Avery. Other than that I haven't really been sold on him since he came into the league. I'm not gonna sit here and say he sucks because he is obviously infinitely better than I am, but for a while he did not much more than take bad penalties and try wraparounds and toe drags that rarely worked. I think he was better last year though.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users