233 replies to this topic

#141 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

He does not even think that! He's just trying to keep 'em off balance.

One day it'll all click and he'll have a massively banner season! THEN he'll think he's an offensive dynamo and everything will go out the window and he'll get a bad attitude and find himself on waivers... I see this coming in the next three years. but it's well worth it. There's a heck of a lot to be said for a certain amount of sentimentality.

This IS what I've thought in the past.  I believe I have amended this in later years.  Personally I think Clarkson knows what he has here.  I mocked someone for calling him a mental midget... but then in the post above I think I underrated his IQ myself.  I hope -- for HIS sake I hope. This organization makes him the player he is I feel... (EDIT:   so it's mutually beneficial and neither side will look to shaft the other in the future)

Edited by Pepperkorn, 11 February 2013 - 01:17 PM.

I'm here for the party

#142 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

I think 5/25 would be reasonable for him, honestly. If he keeps playing like this for the duration of the contract I'd day it's money well spent. Especially if Zajac got 5.75m per.

Wow, there's something I never thought I'd say.. 5m per for Clarkson being reasonable

Edited by Devilsfan118, 11 February 2013 - 03:49 PM.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#143 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Ryan Malone got 4.5 for 7 years and that was 5 years ago. Clarkson's next contract will probably be something like that. Not sure how the market will look with the cap shrinking though, a lot of teams simply won't be able to bid.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#144 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

:giggle:

Clarkson.gif

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#145 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

just to think from not being able to stand up straight for more than a second to mvp. that's some strong contract year trolling. 

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#146 iceowl14

iceowl14

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Has slowly become one of, if not, my favourite player for the Devs. Love his intensity and has really stepped up his game since last season. He definitely needs to sign up to another contract and I don't believe he'd want to play anywhere else.

Twitter: @IceOwl14

#147 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Has slowly become one of, if not, my favourite player for the Devs. Love his intensity and has really stepped up his game since last season. He definitely needs to sign up to another contract and I don't believe he'd want to play anywhere else.

I know Clarky wants to be here. I remember an interview with him that was played during an intermission of a game a couple years ago talked about how he had tried out for a lot of teams and never got a chance until NJ did. I have a feeling Clarky isn't the kind to jump ship just because other teams want him now.

#148 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

as long as he doesn't jump ship to toronto, i don't think he will consider anywhere else. he's the poster child devil, he will suck as hard as gomez in any other system and under the lime light.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#149 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

I know Clarky wants to be here. I remember an interview with him that was played during an intermission of a game a couple years ago talked about how he had tried out for a lot of teams and never got a chance until NJ did. I have a feeling Clarky isn't the kind to jump ship just because other teams want him now.

I feel the same way. He seems to be one who has really chugged the Kool-aid. I remember him referring to Lou as 'Mr Lamoriello'. I feel like as long as the Devils offer him a competitive contract, he stays, no problem.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#150 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Ryan Malone got 4.5 for 7 years and that was 5 years ago. Clarkson's next contract will probably be something like that. Not sure how the market will look with the cap shrinking though, a lot of teams simply won't be able to bid.

you know... I just can't say his $$ worth.  I really dont think he's on solid ground as far as saving a rough patch with his technique.  For me technique buys contract dollars.  Clarkson is consistently hard working which buys a strong contract. 

This is just not something to even be thinking about on either side right now. I don't think we should even be venturing into this territory.  We should delight in his success but not think anything through as far as the future is concerned.  It's just not time. This - what we have right now - is not something to be thinking about banking on or doubting either for that matter.  Things have to be what they are. it's just got to be enjoyed for hockey's sake - for the sake of the game alone.  It was born out of that, and has to stay that way.  It's not born out of some contract year push, if either side starts thinking that way, it's gone **poof** or thinking about using this to manipulate any sort of situation.. it's far to delicate for that and David Clarkson doesn't deserve to be put in that sort of position by us, an agent, friends, family, or team, you know? 

I'm here for the party

#151 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

as long as he doesn't jump ship to toronto, i don't think he will consider anywhere else. he's the poster child devil, he will suck as hard as gomez in any other system and under the lime light.

I think this is a whole lot of the truth, If you can play the low and high slot in this system and chip in those pucks you can pile up goals. Even when you see the attempts at pairing we create goals through an agressive forecheck and a pounding away in front of the goalie. As long as Clarkson can get a shot off before falling he is perfect for crashing the crease.

#152 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

I think this is a whole lot of the truth, If you can play the low and high slot in this system and chip in those pucks you can pile up goals. Even when you see the attempts at pairing we create goals through an agressive forecheck and a pounding away in front of the goalie. As long as Clarkson can get a shot off before falling he is perfect for crashing the crease.

He's going where the money is...  The owners showed their true colors through the CBA.  There is no need for any player to show loyalty to any club.

#153 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Melrose just named clarkson his number one power forward on nhl net. They also mentioned the nhl. Com poll with clarkson #1 Start your bidding at 5.5 per -GMs

#154 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

just to think from not being able to stand up straight for more than a second to mvp. that's some strong contract year trolling. 

Seriously. It's amazing what Clarkie has turned into. I think we have to give credit to DeBoer as well. He really gets the best out of Clarkie.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#155 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

1. To read that beaver anal glands are used to make food flavorings--labeled under 'natural' flavorings.
2. That there would be a true stealth fighter you couldn't see. But the F-35 has proven me wrong since everyone who has ordered one hasn't seen a single unit.... they are THAT stealthy.
3. There would be fewer quality Hockey fights on the ice than off. But again, the fight between the owners and players was humdinger. Neither side would go down, it seemed like they just kept wailing on each other. OTOH, I did stipulate quality fights, right? This wasn't so much a quality fight as a sloppy slog with a couple fat bozos.
4. And this is the BIG one: David Clarkson would be 3rd in the NHL in scoring. Now how the hell did this happen?

Well, that's what this thread is really about. I haven't been able to watch many games over the past year what with pregnant/sick wife, house renovation, and two newborn Devils fans needing caring for, but everything I read seemed to indicate last year was a fluke for D.C.? But if that is the case then what is this? He is on pace for something like 36 goals in this strike shortened season! In a full season that would be sweet, in a short season that is monstrous. So for those who've watched more closely, what do we have here? Is he a budding goal scorer? Is this season two of a fluke? Or is he benefitting from some good pairings? Or is it a combination?

For my part, from what little I've seen I'm having a tough time with the fluke argument. Flukes don't usual last beyond a postseason in any sport, IMO. And look at Salvandor's sudden burst of scoring in last years playoffs. He isn't normally much of a scorer a d hasn't put up much this year. Typical fluke. A good fluke, but typical. But it sounds like Clarkson has been a factor throughout the season so far, no? That just doesn't sound flukish.... but maybe I just to believe that. So educate me my friends....
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#156 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Imagine what he could do if he could skate???

#157 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Imagine what he could do if he could skate???

He has improved his skating a lot over the last couple of seasons, and I really don't think I would consider him a bad skater anymore. Look at the power move he made on his first goal in the last game as an example - protecting the puck, maintaining his balance, and firing a high shot over the glove with the defenseman all over him. That's a time when old Clarky probably would have stumbled onto his ass the second the defenseman breathed on him and the puck would have just slid into the corner. He's not fast, but his speed is decent, and he's much stronger on his feet than he used to be. I think the "Clarkson can't skate" jokes need to be put to rest.

#158 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Melrose just named clarkson his number one power forward on nhl net. They also mentioned the nhl. Com poll with clarkson #1 Start your bidding at 5.5 per -GMs

I think Lou just plays this one cool and offers a high and resonable offer but walks if things get out of hand. Ultmatly if teams start to throw crazy #s out there you just walk and assume it will turn into a Gomez situation. Clarkson is great here in this sytem and organzation but his game wouldn't translate nearly as well for a teams such as the Penns.

#159 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Psssst: there's an 8 page thread about Clarkie 2 threads above yours!

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#160 chrisg19

chrisg19

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I like David Clarkson, I really do, but for me I didn't like how he kind of disappeared in the playoffs last year. I mean after scoring 30 goals in 80 games, I was expecting him to contribute more than just 3 in 24 in last years playoffs. Hopefully that playoffs was the fluke part, and he will be more consistent going forward. I respect any player who works as hard as he does, and hope his hard work continues to pay off.

"It wasn't Mike Eruzione shouting his own name that finally convinced coach Brooks to stop making the players do sprints. It was Mark Johnson, who smashed his stick against the glass in a fit of rage." Movie Mistakes and Bloopers

My Devils Photos

Work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users