94 replies to this topic

#41 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Rangers-Rays. Game 5. Awesome pitchers duel. Who does everyone have?

I'll take Cliff Lee in the big game, but wouldn't be shocked if the Rays took this one. Go Texas Rangers (hard to just say go Rangers)

I'll take the Rangers. They beat up on Price in Game 1 and they did so by having a lot of RH batters in the lineup (they only had 1 LH batter in Game 1). Tonight, 2 of their batters are lefties, and 1 of them is Josh Hamilton. Don't get me wrong, Price is still solid against righties, but hes much, much more human. And of course having Cliff Lee on the mounds help a lot too.

I want to see Texas win anyway since that's who I predicted to win the World Series, though I wouldn't be that disappointed to see the Rays win since they're a fun team to watch.

It should be a sweet game to watch. I'm still shocked Texas couldn't wrap up this series at home in the 2 tries they had.

Edited by nmigliore, 12 October 2010 - 06:48 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#42 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

Cliff Lee in the playoffs is untouchable. What an outstanding performance by him and the Rangers base runners.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#43 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

Cliff Lee in the playoffs is untouchable. What an outstanding performance by him and the Rangers base runners.

He's nearly right there (or maybe right there already) with Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, John Smoltz and El Duque as the best postseason starters in recent memory. (I may be leaving out a couple others.) If he plays a big part in taking down the Yankees his legend will skyrocket, like Schilling and Beckett.

#44 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

I can't believe it - my Texas Rangers win their first post-season series ever! I've literally been following them since they came to Texas. I'm so used to disappointment that this is hard to believe. We've had some good teams, including some great players, but not a really good all-around team like this one that's capable of great pitching, speed and aggressiveness on the bases, and they can play small ball as well as bashing the ball. And then there's Cliff Lee. Nolan Ryan never had a playoff-caliber team around him or he could have dominated like this, but Lee is the first one to actually do it. Too bad we can't clone him!

GO RANGERS!!!
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#45 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,002 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

Told ya, nmiggy =]

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#46 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Told ya, nmiggy =]

Hey, I nailed all of the ALDS/NLDS picks, good enough for me. :D

Edited by nmigliore, 13 October 2010 - 06:08 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#47 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

Looks like Josh Hamilton finally woke up after sleeping through the ALDS; 3-run homer to give Texas an early 3-0 lead.

Edited by nmigliore, 15 October 2010 - 07:26 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#48 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

Can't wait for Halladay-Lincecum. Probably the most excited I have been for a baseball game. Hope it lives up to the hype.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#49 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

I've seen a few sports writers on Twitter making a stink out of the Rangers not using their best reliever (Feliz) in last night's game. Perhaps people are finally catching on that the 9th inning is not always the highest leverage situation in a game. Now if only managers started implementing that theory...

Edited by nmigliore, 16 October 2010 - 11:27 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#50 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

I'm sure the Rangers are fairly happy to tie the series, but they must be kicking themselves that they aren't up 2-0 heading into a Cliff Lee start like they should be.

I was out last night so I didn't see the Phillies/Giants game, but I probably wouldn't have gotten the game anyway since its on Fox-5 and I have Cablevision. Ugh.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 October 2010 - 08:08 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#51 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

Cliff Lee is ridiculous; 2 hits allowed and 13 strikeouts in 8 shutout innings vs the best lineup in baseball.

I guess the silver lining for Yankees fans to take out of this game is that he'll be pitching for them next year. :lol:

Edited by nmigliore, 18 October 2010 - 10:09 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#52 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

Cliff Lee is ridiculous; 2 hits allowed and 13 strikeouts in 8 shutout innings vs the best lineup in baseball.

it might be safe to say that cliff lee is probably one of the best starters ever in the playoffs

#53 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

I'm sure some of you Yankee fans will be all doom and gloom about Burnett starting tomorrow, but at least you are facing Tommy Hunter, who pitched to a 4.99 FIP in 22 starts. For the non-sabermetric folk, that's pretty bads, so they should be able to provide Burnett with some good run support. That's Texas' biggest weakness really; they have no quality #4 starter.

Going back to Lee for a second though - lol, hes a got a 34:1 strikeout:walk ratio in the playoffs this year. Nuts.

Edited by nmigliore, 18 October 2010 - 10:37 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#54 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

It will be a sad day if Cliff Lee signs with the Yankees. But I don't have much confidence that the Mets, Red Sox, Cubs or whoever else will outbid them.

#55 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

Cliff Lee is simply out of this world. His playoff numbers are not believable. He has never lost a playoff game in his career.

I know everyone is making the jokes about how it's no biggie for the Yanks since he'll be with them next year, but I really hope the Rangers try and lock him up if possible although competiting against the Yankees in terms of $$$ is almost impossible. Can you imagine a pitcher this good possibly being on 5 teams in less than two years?

Edited by devilsrule33, 19 October 2010 - 12:34 PM.

#56 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

It will be a sad day if Cliff Lee signs with the Yankees. But I don't have much confidence that the Mets, Red Sox, Cubs or whoever else will outbid them.

Lousy for baseball if he does, though MLB has no one to blame but themselves...as much as I hate the Yanks it's not their fault...they play by the rules.

I'd love to see the Mets get him, but I'd also like to see him stay in Texas.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#57 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

Cliff Lee is simply out of this world. His playoff numbers are not believable. He has never lost a playoff game in his career.

I know everyone is making the jokes about how it's no biggie for the Yanks since he'll be with them next year, but I really hope the Rangers try and lock him up if possible although competiting against the Yankees in terms of $$$ is almost impossible. Can you imagine a pitcher this good possibly being on 5 teams in less than two years.

I still have no idea what the Phillies were thinking when they gave him up. They didn't even get back a decent return from the Mariners either. I mean sure they have Oswalt now, but hes not on Lee's level (but then again, not many are). But could you imagine a playoff rotation of Halladay-Lee-Hamels? That's just insane.

I'd love to see a team like Texas resign him but I think he ends up in the Bronx.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#58 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,002 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

He's beaten the Yankees too many times. There is a 0% chance we don't give him a blank check this offseason.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#59 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

Lousy for baseball if he does, though MLB has no one to blame but themselves...as much as I hate the Yanks it's not their fault...they play by the rules.

I'd love to see the Mets get him, but I'd also like to see him stay in Texas.

What I loved about Curt Schilling ... a Yankee killer who never became a Yankee. If Lee went to Boston, that would be tremendous. Unfortunately for the Sox, they blew a chunk of change on a disappointing John Lackey and extending Josh Beckett. Matsuzaka lingers, also.

#60 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

You'll never catch me complaining about Yankee payroll. I like the way things are, and I like the black hat that the Yankees wear. It's one of the best things baseball has going for it. But I don't want Cliff Lee to become one of the bad guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users