#22 JesterDevil

JesterDevil

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:23 AM

:noclue:

Edited by JesterDevil, 12 November 2003 - 09:24 AM.

#23 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:35 AM

Here's what pisses me off. The Giants' championship teams were ALL Defense. It was "The Big Blue Wrecking Crew." They won games by stifling opponents and scoring 10 points. That's the equivalent of a goal and a third in terms of scoring excitement. Do people call them boring? No. They fondly remember when the Giants could play defense, had a pass rush and a secondary...

Notice I said *remember*.

Anyway, this is finger-pointing blame that doesn't happen in other sports. When baseball teams have great pitching, it's the same thing. But it's not "oh, they're boring, I wouldn't want to have good pitchers if it meant giving up the excitement" -- it's "hey, that team has a helluva pitching staff!"

Tired of it. 7, if you think women's bowling and golf is more interesting, I invite you to find a forum that discusses that because I'm quite frankly sick of your menopausal bitching. Either be a fan of the team and accept the system or find some other bandwagon to hitch a ride on.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#24 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:49 AM

JR is not a dumb guy, so I'm trying to see how him saying this helps the Phailures.

Maybe he was just pissed about how he played or how they played him in the Isles game and he lost his composure and vented on the most imprtant rival for Philly.

Nah, he actually had a pretty good game, and was probably in a good mood. He just wanted to take a shot at us when given the opportunity.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#25 JesterDevil

JesterDevil

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:52 AM

I'm quite frankly sick of your menopausal bitching.

:rofl:

#26 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,022 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:56 AM

It wouldn't be JR if he didn't talk smack. I seem to be the only one who likes his personality. Every one else is like gee golly they are a good team over there.

Hockey needs more people with personality, not more office drones so to speak. Not only that, but if JR is so pissed off at the Devils that he talks about them when they haven't even played that day it means the Devils are doing well.

#27 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 10:05 AM

It wouldn't be JR if he didn't talk smack. I seem to be the only one who likes his personality. Every one else is like gee golly they are a good team over there.

Hockey needs more people with personality, not more office drones so to speak. Not only that, but if JR is so pissed off at the Devils that he talks about them when they haven't even played that day it means the Devils are doing well.

You aren't alone. I like his personality too. It's good to have vocal critics.

Oh, and the only reason he talked about the Devils is because he was asked a question about them. Otherwise I doubt he would have brought them up.

Hull for Commissioner! :D
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#28 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 10:45 AM

I do wish we had more of a vocal leader here ala. Roenick or Holik, they at least keep things interesting. As long as JR doesn't make anymore Center Ice commercials he can say whatever he likes in the Philly papers because I don't have to read it... but I have no choice on the Center Ice commercials.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,609 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:31 PM

Risky, the problem is that with the three major sports, you are allotted a time to be "on defense". The other team has the ball in football and basketball, and in baseball, you have to pitch.

In hockey, what makes it so great is that you can go from a scoring chance at one end to a goal at the other in 10 seconds. Yeah it happens in football, but in basketball who cares, it's 2 more points, and in baseball it can't happen. The problem with this is that you're not allotted a time "on defense". The prevailing thought, then, is at all times you should be on offense, since it's the goal-scoring chances that are entertaining, not good defense.

It's BS.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#30 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:59 PM

I'm quite frankly sick of your menopausal bitching.

:rofl:

Now wait a minute boys Posted Image I resemble that remark!!
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#31 ocaptainmycaptain

ocaptainmycaptain

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:04 PM

maybe roenick gets bored when he loses to the devils??? :rolleyes:

or maybe he thinks that its winning the cup is boring. that's what he meant, there you go!

#32 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,267 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:06 PM

Oh I kinda like JR's personality too though occasionally he can be a dvck, like when he said the team breathed a sigh of relief when Nieds left a game due to injury. I did like the back-and-forth between him and Heatley at the ASG last year; that was cute. I'm more partial to Hull personality-wise though; now there's a colorful old goat :rofl:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#33 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,039 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:42 PM

Our Stanley Cups are plugging our Ears.

Good old Patrick Roy with his most famous quote to J.R.

Edited by devilsrule33, 12 November 2003 - 05:43 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#34 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:44 PM

Roenick did make me laugh when he said that last night. And I'll laugh even harder when that pompous ass is home watching the Devils in the finals again. Still, I don't mind the trash talk....keeps things spicy.

#35 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:13 PM

You aren't alone. I like his personality too. It's good to have vocal critics.

Oh, and the only reason he talked about the Devils is because he was asked a question about them. Otherwise I doubt he would have brought them up.

Hull for Commissioner! :D

Hell yeah!!!!!! I think vocal guys like Roenick and Hull are good for a league that is too blah. These guys say what's on their mind. And a lot of what they say has validity. I have always been a fan of both. And yes, I can definitely understand why Roenick got upset at Howie Rose. He mentioned the Devils after JR's team beat the Isles. Rose looked a little red in the face after JR's response :lol: .

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#36 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:39 PM

JR can do all the talking he wants ... BLAH BLAH BLAH... his team still sucks, they still cant get it done (even when they try to buy it last minute) so let him talk....he is still going to be a loser because he is on a loser team...
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#37 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:42 PM

Anyone catch this?: Jeremy Roenick, in the Islanders post-game interview, said he would not want to emulate the New Jersey Devils because "they are boring as hell"

Well, winning the Cup is pretty exciting.

Not that Jeremy would know...

<JESTER>
Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users