#1 exit_16w

exit_16w

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 07:39 PM

11/16/2003

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - The San Jose Sharks traded goalie Miikka Kiprusoff to the Calgary Flames on Sunday for a second-round draft pick in 2005.

Kiprusoff went 5-14-0 with a 3.25 goals-against average last season in his second full NHL campaign. After a poor start while Evgeni Nabokov held out, he lost his job as Nabokov's backup late last season to Vesa Toskala.

But the Sharks couldn't send Kiprusoff to the minors without putting him through waivers, so they kept him on their roster this season without playing him.

``We had to make a decision with a waiver situation and potentially losing a player without getting anything,'' Sharks general manager Doug Wilson said. ``We shopped around and found a deal that fits us.''

Kiprusoff could play immediately with the Flames, who don't have a proven backup behind Jamie McLennan and injured starter Roman Turek. In Calgary, Kiprusoff will be reunited with coach Darryl Sutter, the Sharks' former coach.

He was San Jose's fifth-round draft pick in 1995. In 2001, he became the first Finnish goalie to win an NHL post-season game, beating St. Louis.

#2 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 09:33 PM

And the rest of the hockey world is unaffected.

I was going to post this new earlier today, but the site was down -- for me, at least.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#3 NJ_Devils_Fan

NJ_Devils_Fan

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 10:33 PM

I was going to post this new earlier today, but the site was down -- for me, at least.

me too.

#4 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 10:37 PM

I am wondering if Turek is now on the bloack, they have three goaltenders in Calgary, McLennen has been the best so far between him and Turek. Will Kiprusoff be sent to the AHL, gets me wondering what is brewing in Calgary.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#5 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 10:47 PM

It seems certain that Turek will be shipped out, although they could send McLennan down, but that wouldn't make any sense.

Turek's contract is yet another Button mistake. Turek's destination is unclear.. smart money would have him going to the Avs, but would the Avs really want him? Vancouver could also be interested but they would have the three goalies problem too. The Islanders as well, I don't know how DiPietro is doing, but it's also unlikely they will increase salary.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 11:36 PM

Who the hell's going to take Turek? If it was hard for Potvin to find a suitor, I imagine it's going to be even more difficult for Turek to find a new home.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#7 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 12:37 AM

Send him to NY lol, I like what Sutter is doing with Calgary, he is playing old style hockey, playing solid defense and his dmen are mean as can be, hitting everything in their way. If only Iginla ever lived up to his contract they would be a playoff team in the west. Lombardi is a nice looking young hockey player.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#8 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:37 PM

It seems certain that Turek will be shipped out, although they could send McLennan down, but that wouldn't make any sense.

Turek's contract is yet another Button mistake. Turek's destination is unclear.. smart money would have him going to the Avs, but would the Avs really want him? Vancouver could also be interested but they would have the three goalies problem too. The Islanders as well, I don't know how DiPietro is doing, but it's also unlikely they will increase salary.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced to send Turek down (a la Irbe and CuJo earlier in the year); I doubt they find any takers for that contract.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users