• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

After the first pre-season game I said he would make the team.. it was obvious he was/is an NHL caliber defensemen

With that being said, he could go on a Rafalski course or an Oduya course

It's way too early to tell
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#22 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

Well the only defenseman to play more even strength time than Taormina was Corrente, so Jmac certainly feels comfortable with him in our own end.
Posted Image

#23 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

After seeing him with Lowell last year I was on the bandwagon before he even got to NJ. He's making well on my expectations :).

#24 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

Wow. It's one thing to be skeptical of the kid, but you are way off base, if you ask me. I won't believe this kid is for real until we see the same performance for the next 20-30 games, but to deny the fact that he has been very good for an NHL rookie defenseman playing 20+ minutes a night, you have to be blind.

Well until last night we had one win in 5 with a terrible D. So him playing 20:00 min doesnt say much to any good he has done. To me, he has not looked good, not even for a rookie. Hes a good skater and has potential in that department. Hes Mike Mottau's step-child.

#25 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

Well the only defenseman to play more even strength time than Taormina was Corrente, so Jmac certainly feels comfortable with him in our own end.

Was going to wait until about 20 games in to kinda go over a few points, but it seems to me that Johnny Mac is more comfortable with the kids he has first hand experience with in the AHL last year then some of the players that have been with the club. Tao instead of Greene stands out the most in my mind.

Not saying it's neccesarily a bad thing, but it was something I have noticed from the first game. Maybe Tao has outplayed greene in practice, but it has stood out to me.

OMG had plenty of ice time last night<deservedly so> as well.

joe
Joe

#26 ungar

ungar

Prospect

• Suspended
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

It's been a long time since our team had a real offensive defenseman. I'm hoping Tao will become a real scoring threat from the blueline.
Posted Image
FREE ScottStevens4!

#27 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

I like what he's done so far too. It's encouraging to see that he seems to be a little bit better every game. Obviously that can't go on forever but as long as he keeps improving in the d-zone and keeps firing pucks on net, he will be a useful asset, for sure.

#28 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

I think he is off to a fantastic start offensively, but is nowhere near as good overall as Rafalski. He has great teachers and a lot of potential.

Johnny Mac has to watch his minutes moving forward as its a long season and rookies tend to burn out by January if they are overplayed.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#29 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

NO

He cant pass to save his life. His goal last nite was a floater that Price mistimed. His assist to Kovy in Buffalo was a result of a fortunate bounce his way. His breakouts and reads are horrible. He has been the worst defenseman on a terrible defense so far. I dont know why hes even in the NHL.

Thats cuz he didnt know what else to do.

Are you really that bad at analyzing hockey?

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#30 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:23 PM

Are you really that bad at analyzing hockey?

Are you really that bad at adding to a discussion?

Youre one of those who says 'yay he scored a goal, it must mean hes awesome'

Edited by devlman, 22 October 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#31 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Are you really that bad at adding to a discussion?

Youre one of those who says 'yay he scored a goal, it must mean hes awesome'

He's not awesome. What you said was that he has not looked good even for a rookie Posted Image...that's kind of far from awesome. You also said he "can't pass to save his life", you brushed aside his goal last night and his assist vs. Buffalo, and you called him the worst defensemen on the team and questioned why he was even in the NHL. Posted Image

Again, are you that bad at analyzing hockey?

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#32 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

There were only like 6 guys screening him on the shot. That's on Price for sure.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#33 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Taormina looks real good but you gotta take it with a grain of salt. Fraser looed pretty good last year when he scored a goal in his first NHL game.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#34 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

He's not awesome. What you said was that he has not looked good even for a rookie Posted Image...that's kind of far from awesome. You also said he "can't pass to save his life", you brushed aside his goal last night and his assist vs. Buffalo, and you called him the worst defensemen on the team and questioned why he was even in the NHL. Posted Image

Again, are you that bad at analyzing hockey?

I stand by that. So, again, maybe you are that bad at analyzing hockey?

Edited by devlman, 22 October 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#35 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

Taormina looks real good but you gotta take it with a grain of salt. Fraser looed pretty good last year when he scored a goal in his first NHL game.

I don't think Fraser has ever had a 6 minute game where he looked good. :lol: A little over the top, but really, even when playing 6 minutes you could see he didn't belong in the NHL.

Taormina is playing well, when you throw in it's his 2nd year pro and he's 24 you have to say he's playing great for his situation. Taormina and White have easily been the best defenseman on the team so far this year. If Andy Greene was playing like this people would be saying he was worth $6 million. :lol:

I stand by that. So, again, maybe you are that bad at analyzing hockey?

So Taormina is just lucking into playing major minutes, being even on a minus team, scoring points, and following up a big AHL season?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#36 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

So apparently I'm the only one on this board who likes Henrik Tallinder?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#37 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

He's been struggling but he'll turn it around.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#38 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

So Taormina is just lucking into playing major minutes, being even on a minus team, scoring points, and following up a big AHL season?

Obviously the coaches see something in him, perhaps some potential. My point is that he has not played well so far to me. With the injuries on D that we have its not too hard to get big mins.

I think Tallinder has been solid, after that shaky first game.

#39 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,527 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

I loved him standing up for our goalie last night... hell the team as a WHOLE did that last night, maybe the biggest change on this team since Burnsie was here....
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#40 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

I don't think Fraser has ever had a 6 minute game where he looked good. :lol: A little over the top, but really, even when playing 6 minutes you could see he didn't belong in the NHL.

Taormina is playing well, when you throw in it's his 2nd year pro and he's 24 you have to say he's playing great for his situation. Taormina and White have easily been the best defenseman on the team so far this year. If Andy Greene was playing like this people would be saying he was worth $6 million. :lol:

You mean he isn't?
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users