46 replies to this topic

#1 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

He's had a great start, great offensively but could still use some polishing up in his own end. But is he the real deal?

#2 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

He's the real deal with Bill McNeal.

*Srsly tho--let's wait a while before we answer that. Don't forget that so many players can go for extended streaks where they look brilliant, only to later fade into obscurity, like Jim Carey (G), Lalime (G), or even our once-own Sean Brown (who had a great 10-20 game streak for us in another life).

Taormina looks good offensively, but at the NHL level, you need to be able to do that night in night out over the length of an entire season, that is, if you want to be considered a really good player.

#3 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

He was last night.

#4 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

I think right now Taormina is my favorite new devil. I hope he becomes the next Rafalski

#5 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

He's playing some good hockey & has been a nice surprise.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#6 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,381 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

Hasn't been a surprise at all to me. Last night he got off to a rough start in his own end but played better as the game went on. Offensively I haven't seen him come close to maxing out his potential. This kid has a very accurate shot and should be able to get more pucks towards the net.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#7 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

I have noticed he takes a lot of shots. I am not sure what everyone's opinion is on that

#8 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

I have noticed he takes a lot of shots. I am not sure what everyone's opinion is on that

Considering we struggle offensively as long as they are getting thorugh, then it can't be too bad of a thing. The main reason he is successful---he can skate. He's only gonna get better.

#9 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

I'm officially on the Taormina bandwagon. I hope his success continues throughout the season. :cheers:
Posted Image Posted Image

#10 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:04 AM

Considering we struggle offensively as long as they are getting thorugh, then it can't be too bad of a thing. The main reason he is successful---he can skate. He's only gonna get better.

i remember him vaguely when he played for providence

#11 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,381 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Shots from the point creates offense. If we had two players well over 100 shots we would have offense regardless of our forwards.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#12 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

I'm officially on the Taormina bandwagon. I hope his success continues throughout the season. :cheers:

+1

So did I. I ended up putting a down payment on his game worn jersey and passing on the Zajac

#13 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

He seems to be pretty smart as well. He obviously was patient enough to wait for traffic to screen Carey Price before firing a shot and getting it blocked which happened alot whenever a Devs player fired from the point.

#14 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

Not a bad move Gabe, I hope it turns out that his success is gonig to flourish. I have faith in him.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#15 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

Not a bad move Gabe, I hope it turns out that his success is gonig to flourish. I have faith in him.

I wanted the Josefson but it was more than 1500K :argh:

#16 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

I wanted the Josefson but it was more than 1500K :argh:

Serious!!!???? Meigray is insane sometimes. They want 995 for Matt Corrente and I think Giontas are like 750. Their pricing is all over the place.

#17 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

I could go for an offensive defensemen. Whether he is offense minded or defense minded I don't care because honestly the rookies are playing with house money right now.

#18 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

NO

He cant pass to save his life. His goal last nite was a floater that Price mistimed. His assist to Kovy in Buffalo was a result of a fortunate bounce his way. His breakouts and reads are horrible. He has been the worst defenseman on a terrible defense so far. I dont know why hes even in the NHL.

He seems to be pretty smart as well. He obviously was patient enough to wait for traffic to screen Carey Price before firing a shot and getting it blocked which happened alot whenever a Devs player fired from the point.

Thats cuz he didnt know what else to do.

Edited by devlman, 22 October 2010 - 11:06 AM.

#19 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,359 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

i think he brings some good things that the devils haven't had - reliable hard shot that hits the net and gets through from the point. he's a bit of an adventure in his own zone right now and his breakout passes are slightly above average in my opinion.

right now, he's riding the same wave andy greene rode last year so let's not go crazy just yet.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#20 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

NO

He cant pass to save his life. His goal last nite was a floater that Price mistimed. His assist to Kovy in Buffalo was a result of a fortunate bounce his way. His breakouts and reads are horrible. He has been the worst defenseman on a terrible defense so far. I dont know why hes even in the NHL.

Wow. It's one thing to be skeptical of the kid, but you are way off base, if you ask me. I won't believe this kid is for real until we see the same performance for the next 20-30 games, but to deny the fact that he has been very good for an NHL rookie defenseman playing 20+ minutes a night, you have to be blind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users