69 replies to this topic

#41 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

I think the Nets would be ecstatic to get Carmelo, the problem is getting Carmelo ecstatic to come to the Nets.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#42 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:29 PM

Went to the game tonight and I may have fallen asleep. Granted, it was against the Wizards, so two absolute crap teams playing. The Nets blew a 22 point lead, but they did win.

I'm a Knicks fan, so it was tough choosing. Me and my buddy were just sitting there dumbfounded. Cant believe I made it through the whole game. Such boring crap. Dont think Ill bother with the Nets again, free or otherwise lol.

#43 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

Credit: NBA.com, Yahoo Sports and ESPN

http://www.nba.com/2...ls=iref:nbahpt2

The New Jersey Nets were close on Sunday evening to acquiring All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets in a three-team deal with the Detroit Pistons, but are still looking to get a commitment from Anthony and his camp on a long-term contract, according to two league sources.

The deal would send Anthony, along with guards Chauncey Billups and Anthony Carter, along with center Shelden Williams, to the Nets. Detroit would send veteran Rip Hamilton to New Jersey. The Nets would send guard Devin Harris, rookie forward Derrick Favors, guards Anthony Morrow, Stephen Graham, Quinton Ross and Ben Uzoh, along with two first-round picks, to the Nuggets. New Jersey would send center Johan Petro and forward Troy Murphy (and his expiring $12 million contract) to Detroit.

The potential savings for Detroit -- Hamilton has two years and $25 million left on his deal -- combined with the opportunity to break up the backcourt logjam that has plagued the team for two seasons makes the deal irresistable for the Pistons. Trading Hamilton would allow the team to, finally, move Ben Gordon into the starting lineup instead of splitting mintues with Hamilton.

The Pistons don't want Petro, though, and are looking for New Jersey to route him somewhere else.

Yahoo! Sports and ESPN.com reported details of the deal earlier Sunday.

Edited by TheMazz, 09 January 2011 - 10:55 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#44 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

This trade is looking so crazy. The entire Nets starting lineup, except Lopez, is gonna change.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

As a casual fan I'm excited about the trade, though how much better does this make the Nets if they add Carmelo, Billups, and Hamilton to go with Lopez? Hopefully this helps turn Lopez's season around.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#46 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Holy convuluted trades, Batman!
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#47 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

Well, this had to be posted. Prokhorov pulls Nets out of Melo talks

I have come to agree, with the decision, the combination of what the Nuggets wanted and what Melo himself wanted, just didn't add up. The Nuggets really seemed to be looking for excuses not to pull the trigger. I would not be surprised if this starts up again closer to the deadline, with a simpler deal.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Well, this had to be posted. Prokhorov pulls Nets out of Melo talks

I have come to agree, with the decision, the combination of what the Nuggets wanted and what Melo himself wanted, just didn't add up. The Nuggets really seemed to be looking for excuses not to pull the trigger. I would not be surprised if this starts up again closer to the deadline, with a simpler deal.

I agree 100% with this.

I still think the Nets and Knicks will be in on this if Denver lowers the price, although the Knicks would be trading from quantity and not quality. But the Nets were giving up a LOT (a proven PG in Harris, 3 #1 picks counting the guy they already have, and other assets), and really only getting Anthony and Rip Hamilton in return (all indications are that Billups was not going to report or he would force a buyout).

If I had to wager on this, the Knicks, Nuggets, and one other team pulls this off, with the Knicks sending a package of Curry/Galinari/Fields to Denver, getting Anthony (with extension), and shipping off Randolph to someone else for a first round pick that also gets sent to Denver. But the chances of that happening are about 20%, especially when the Knicks think they're in a position of negotiating strength (hometown kid wants to come home)

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 20 January 2011 - 10:26 AM.

Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that

#49 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

So apparently they may be getting Melo again if he agrees to an extension...

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#50 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

And here we go again.

Like the last two times, both sides have agreed to trade pending an extension. Like the last two times, it all comes down to whether Anthony wants to sign for the Nets. We'll see if it goes down. For the record, I still think he's going to say no up until Thu's deadlinem, at which time he'll either extend, extend and trade, or get screwed.

Also for the record, if the Knicks don't pull this off I guarantee Donnie Walsh gets sh!tcanned.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 18 February 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#51 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

Does anywhere have the trade details? Who do the Nets give up?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

Details Here

Nets give up Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, Ben Uzoh, Troy Murphy and four first-round draft picks. Nuggets give up Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Sheldon Williams, Melvin Ely and Renaldo Balkman.

The only trade snag is that Murphy is going elsewhere for more assets, with the question being who gets him.

EDIT: And of note...the last time somethimg similar came about, Billups said he would ask for a buyout/not report to the Nets. Which would make this trade even worse for NJ

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 18 February 2011 - 02:07 PM.

#53 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

Details Here

Nets give up Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, Ben Uzoh, Troy Murphy and four first-round draft picks. Nuggets give up Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Sheldon Williams, Melvin Ely and Renaldo Balkman.

The only trade snag is that Murphy is going elsewhere for more assets, with the question being who gets him.

EDIT: And of note...the last time somethimg similar came about, Billups said he would ask for a buyout/not report to the Nets. Which would make this trade even worse for NJ

Thanks.

If Melo agrees to the extension, and Billups agrees to play for the Nets, I think this is a very good trade for the Nets. Harris is a good player, and fan favorite, but getting Billups back makes that palatable. Favors is promising but I wouldn't be surprised if he fails to meet his full potential. Four first rounders are difficult to part with, but the Nets only acquired those picks so they could make a trade like this down the line.

Making the playoffs this year would be tough, but I definitely see them in next year, and as a real competitor by time they are in Brooklyn, especially if they can attract some other name players now that they tentatively have Melo.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#54 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

Melo will never step onto the court at THE ROCK as a home team player

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#55 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6144608

Even if the New Jersey Nets do not acquire Carmelo Anthony, they still might pull off a trade with the Denver Nuggets, one that would likely be a sore spot for their cross-river rivals in New York, according to high-ranking league officials.

If the New York Knicks send Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler and Timofey Mozgov to Denver for Anthony, the Nets are in discussions to then acquire either Gallinari, Felton or Chandler plus Mozgov for two first-round draft picks.

That deal is obviously contingent upon the Knicks trading all those players to Denver for a package headlined by Anthony and Chauncey Billups.

For people that actually know basketball, what do you think of this potential scenario?

#56 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6144608

For people that actually know basketball, what do you think of this potential scenario?

The Nets biggest need is clearly small forward, so acquiring Galinari or Chandler would be preferable over Felton, who would force Harris to either move to SG or be traded. The trade would be worth it in my opinion. I don't know much about Chandler, but Galinari is very good shooting forward with range well beyond the 3-pt line, has decent moves around the rim, and brings down a good amount of rebounds standing at 6'10". I would be all for giving up two first rounders for him, especially since the Nets still have another this year (I believe?) and first round picks really aren't worth as much in the NBA as opposed to other leagues since only the first few picks traditionally have a real chance at becoming stars. They would almost certainly put some kind of protection on the picks that they trade anyway (assuming they are not already protected anyway).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

I tend to think everyone would win in that scenario, depending on the actual Nets trade. By trading Anthony, the Nuggets would be waving the white flag on the season, but they'd get at least 2 first round draft picks, a very efficent and young PG in Felton (and ftr, this is a horrible mistake for the Knicks to trade Felton even if they're getting Billups back), and maybe Favors. If Denver can dump Harrington in the process, they're the clear winners; otherwise it depends on how the Knicks do for the rest of the way. They'd be starting Billups/Fields/Anthony/Turiaf/Amare, which is not a horrid lineup, but they'd need to get random bench-level 4-5 back from Denver to make it happen (and from what reports I've seen, there'd be some beef flying from Denver to NY on that trade proposal.). Nets would come out a clear third place in any scenario that does not involve Anthony coming their way, but at least with this trade idea, they'd get something back. What this means is that the Nets NEED to get a free agent this coming Summer, and with the unsettled labor situation and the potential for Franchise Tags being applied to the NBA, that may not happen.

#58 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

Looks like Carmelo is finally being traded to the Knicks. From Alan Hahn of Newsday:

http://twitter.com/#!/alanhahn/status/39871204605165568

Source tells Newsday after Knicks-Nuggets talked today, Carmelo Anthony trade expected to be finalized tomorrow.

Now let's see what the package is and if that rumored Net-Nugget trade will happen.

#59 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

What this means is that the Nets NEED to get a free agent this coming Summer, and with the unsettled labor situation and the potential for Franchise Tags being applied to the NBA, that may not happen.

If last offseason and this Melo fiasco proves one thing, the Nets just aren't getting that player to sign with them, even if half the league becomes UFA.

At least they're trying to make something out of a bad situation with this Plan B but they really need to build from within, at least until Brooklyn becomes a reality and the team becomes somewhat more attractive to UFA's.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#60 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

If last offseason and this Melo fiasco proves one thing, the Nets just aren't getting that player to sign with them, even if half the league becomes UFA.

At least they're trying to make something out of a bad situation with this Plan B but they really need to build from within, at least until Brooklyn becomes a reality and the team becomes somewhat more attractive to UFA's.

Just like all the other labor negotiations going into play this coming offseason (can you believe the NBA, NFL, and MLB are ALL going through labor talks right now?), it's impossible to say who will sign where, for how much, and how much spending room the Nets will have compared to other teams.

I will say this: if the next labor agreement clamps down hard on salaries and the cap and all that, I promise that someone will take the Nets' money. The problem is who that someone would be, and a lot also depends on what assets they're looking to trade this season (rumor has Devin Harris to Dallas or Portland).

If they don't plan on stocking up on one free agent...and let's be honest, they might not be able to this offseason...then they need to stockpile draft picks. I don't care that this draft is free of "superstar-caliber" players, they need to get a competent 2 or 3, someone who can expand the floor, and, in theory, become a leader at the offensive end. If their thoughts are that they're going to run Favors and Lopez out on the power side of the ball, they could use a veteran bench power player to take some fouls minutes. And they need to decide who their PG of the future is...if they can land Paul or Williams, great, but Harris and Farmar are not lighting the world on fire and they need a fix there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users