69 replies to this topic

#61 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

Gigantic deal for the Nets getting Deron Williams. He might be the best overall PG in the game. What a catch. He isn't a star that you can market heavily, but you can market winning with because he is going to make that team a lot better.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#62 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

Gigantic deal for the Nets getting Deron Williams. He might be the best overall PG in the game. What a catch. He isn't a star that you can market heavily, but you can market winning with because he is going to make that team a lot better.

I think it's a great trade for the Nets. However he's a FA after next season. They have 1.5 years to convince him to stay, otherwise they are in trouble and will lose him.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#63 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,320 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

Looks like the Nets want to build around Williams and Lopez. I wonder what moves they make in the offseason to try to take the next step.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#64 xrafalskix

xrafalskix

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

i think this move ends up being better for the Nets since they gave up a lot less. I havent got this excited over the Nets since the days of Petrovic or when they had kenny anderson and derrick coleman haha
Gabe

Posted Image

#65 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

D-WILL!!!!

God, this came out of the blue. This is such an awesome trade, I can't even describe it. Billy King, you are my hero right now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Posted ImagePosted Image

#66 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

Great combination - my favorite NBA team gets my favorite college basketball player. My boy from Illinois is now on the Nets. AWESOME.*

Now about that extension... and getting someone other than Brook Lopez who can put the ball in the basket....

*Note: feelings subject to change once the Nets actually pull out from NJ and head to Brooklyn.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#67 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

John Hollinger likes the deal, even citing the Nets "got the better player" in comparison to Anthony. However he also cautions that this is a bit of a roll of the dice, and the Nets have to hope he signs with them long-term....

Ultimately it comes down to one thing: Whether this is where Williams wants to be for the long haul. If it is, then this will be a huge coup for the Nets, especially vis-à-vis their looming crosstown rivalry with the Knicks -- within hours of the Knicks' getting Anthony, New Jersey got a better player for less.

But if Williams remains unhappy with this trade, the house of cards begins to collapse. For the next season and a half, Williams is looking at playing before slim crowds on a 30-win team in Newark, N.J., for a coach that isn't exactly Mr. Beloved. Big-market team or not, he may not have the patience to see the Nets project all the way through to Brooklyn.

http://insider.espn....iamsNets-110223
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#68 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,682 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

It may be a gamble but it's one they had to take, they weren't getting a player like that of their own volition unless they drafted him. And they have a year and a half to woo him and build the team up, hopefully using him to attract someone else big to Newark/Brooklyn.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#69 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,320 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

Nets beat the Celtics and the winning streak is at 5!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#70 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

You know, the Nets are only 5 1/2 games out of the playoffs. If they go on a prolonged streak, they could squeak in...
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users