Photo

What was the most influential trade in NJ Devils History?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Most Influential Trade In NJ Devils History? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

What was the most influential trade ever done by the NJ Devils?

1. Acquiring Ilya Kovalchuk from Atlanta for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier & First Round Draft Pick (11 votes [14.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.47%

2. Acquiring the First Round Draft Pick from Toronto (Niedermayer) for Kurvers (31 votes [40.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.79%

3. Acquiring Langenbrunner and Nieuwendyk from Dallas for Arnott, McKay, and a First Round Draft Pick (5 votes [6.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.58%

4. Acquiring Jason Arnott from Edmonton for Bill Guerin and Valeri Zelepukin (3 votes [3.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

5. Acquiring Alexander Mogilny from Vancouver for Denis Pederson and Brendan Morrison (5 votes [6.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.58%

6. Acquiring Neal Broten from Dallas for Corey Millen (1 votes [1.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.32%

7. Acquiring Claude Lemieux from Montreal for Sylvain Turgeon (13 votes [17.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.11%

8. Acquiring Peter Stastny from Quebec for Craig Wolanin & future considerations (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Acquiring Jeff Friesen and Oleg Tverdovsky & others from Anaheim for Petr Sykora, Mike Commodore & others (3 votes [3.95%] - View)

10. Acquiring Bobby Holik and Conditional Draft Pick(Jay Pandolfo) from Hartford for Sean Burke and Eric Weinrich (3 votes [3.95%] - View)

11. Acquiring Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske from Montreal for Kirk Muller and Roland Melanson (1 votes [1.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

I was wondering what everyone thought was the most influential trade done by the New Jersey Devils and your reasons why. I was able to come up with 11 off the top of my head which I think influenced the Devils. There might be others but at the moment I can't think of anymore.

:gd:

Edited by grcenter47, 04 November 2010 - 10:57 PM.

#2 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

You are forgetting perhaps the biggest.

The Flames also traded up in the first round, dealing their pick, No. 20 over all, and a pair of second-rounders, Nos. 24 and 29, for New Jersey's first-rounder, 11th over all, and the Devils' No. 2 pick, No. 32. The Flames used the higher pick to take Trevor Kidd from Brandon of the Western Hockey League, the highest-rated goaltender in the draft.

http://query.nytimes...755C0A966958260

I think we all know who the Devils drafted at 20.

Edited by devilsrule33, 04 November 2010 - 11:42 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#3 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

You are forgetting perhaps the biggest.

http://query.nytimes...755C0A966958260

I think we all know who the Devils drafted at 20.

This.

But personally, acquiring nieds was pretty huge for this organization.

I hope 10 years from now, we look back and say "damn I'm glad we got kovalchuk", but we'll have to just wait and see.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 05 November 2010 - 12:04 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#4 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:10 AM

Brodeur, Kovalchuk, Niedermayer in that order. historically, the Kovalchuk trade will be the biggest one when it's done. it'll shape the franchise for at least 10 years, either positively, negatively, or meh. yeah, that's a captain obvious statement. but, it could end up being his and his alone, because of the nature of the league. Nieds was an indentured servant until 2005. none of these guys around now will be.

Brodeur's is kinda lost in the shuffle historically, and who knows, maybe they would have picked him at 11 anyway.

but anyways, that signing (which 99.9% wouldn't have happened if not for the trade), put the trade through the roof. no signing, and it's just a curiosity, like Gretzky with the Blues, where someone sees something 20 years later and says "that guy played for them? really?"

Edited by maxpower, 05 November 2010 - 03:13 AM.

#5 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:07 AM

Brodeur, Kovalchuk, Niedermayer in that order.

Yea, that.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#6 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:46 AM

I had assumed that influential meant in a good way, since there are so many.

To me getting Holik was a start, but getting Pepe changed the attitude here. The guy hated to lose and it rubbed off on the franchise.

I miss that franchise.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#7 Eltab213

Eltab213

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:08 AM

Since ive been following the Devils (1999) My favorite trade was the Langs and Nieuwendyk trade. Both of whom were two of my favotire players outside the Devils.

I remember Luo saying the trade was to help with face-offs (Niuwendyk was one of the best, if not the best ever at face-offs) I loved watching him take draws, and i think the face-off is the most underrated play in hockey among fans. Anyway, Although Nieuwy was hurt for part of the 03 playoffs, Langs was clutch and I dont think the Devils win the cup in 03 without that trade.
Posted Image

Official Keeper of Pascal Rheume
Official Keeper of Valeri Kamensky
Official Keeper of Alexander Korolyuk

#8 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:27 AM

Pretty solid list...I wouldn't have put the Stastny deal up there, simply because he was clearly past his prime when he got here...if you look his Devil numbers, they're not bad by today's standards, but for the era he played in they were clearly nothing special.

I'd have to say Lemieux, because the guy simply hated to lose and gave it his all and clearly was an influence, and was acquired for a guy in Turgeon who couldn't have been more of Claude's polar opposite...an all-time overachiever for an all-time underachiever.

Another deal that be worth adding to that list might is the acquisiton of Doug Gilmour and Dave Ellett for Alyn McCauley, Jason Smith, and Steve Sullivan...Sullivan did go on to have a pretty nice post-Devils career, and Smith played a lot of seasons as well.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 05 November 2010 - 06:30 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#9 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

Another deal that be worth adding to that list might is the acquisiton of Doug Gilmour and Dave Ellett for Alyn McCauley, Jason Smith, and Steve Sullivan...Sullivan did go on to have a pretty nice post-Devils career, and Smith played a lot of seasons as well.

Good call. I may be alone in thinking this, but I felt as though the acquisition of Gilmour had a huge positive effect on Niedermayer. Killer did a good amount of work on the half boards and point on our power plays during that time, and that's around the same time that Nieds really turned into the elite puck-distributing point man we all remember him as.

Another reason Gilmour's time here was influential was that, at the time, Lou negotiated new contracts before the old ones expired. Stevens, Brodeur and Gilmour were all courting offers from Lou mid-season, but Johnny Mac wasn't. That was part of what drove MacLean to want out, and presumably a part of why Lou no longer talks contracts until old ones expire.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#10 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

you have to say either marty or neidermayer - both shaped the team for 15 and 10 years respectively and brought 3 cups.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#11 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

what about the scott stevens one? ...or is that not technically a trade

Edited by lucifer91, 05 November 2010 - 08:25 AM.

Posted Image

#12 imissricher

imissricher

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

what about the scott stevens one?

i was thinking the same thing - how is scott stevens not an option in this poll?
"All certified mail is registered...but registered mail is not necessarily certified." --- Newman

imissricher: i got an andrew peters mystery puck last year - not sure i could have gotten a worse player.

DevsMan84: A puck signed by Leeroy at the concession stand would have been better.

Posted Image

#13 imissricher

imissricher

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

i was thinking the same thing - how is scott stevens not an option in this poll?

i'm an idiot - it's friday and my mind is on tonight. arbitration really isn't a "trade", although it felt like it. shanny for stevens.
"All certified mail is registered...but registered mail is not necessarily certified." --- Newman

imissricher: i got an andrew peters mystery puck last year - not sure i could have gotten a worse player.

DevsMan84: A puck signed by Leeroy at the concession stand would have been better.

Posted Image

#14 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

Because Stevens wasn't brought in via trade.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#15 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

Stevens wasn't traded for......he was awarded as compensation for the Blews signing Shanahan
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#16 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

Patrik Sundstrom for Kirk McLean and Greg Adams was huge at the time.

God I wish Sundstrom hadn't had those bad knees.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#17 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:35 AM

i'm an idiot - it's friday and my mind is on tonight. arbitration really isn't a "trade", although it felt like it. shanny for stevens.

Yeah, I was thinkin the same thing, stevens for shanny, but then i remembered it was "compensation".
Posted Image

#18 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:40 AM

Patrik Sundstrom for Kirk McLean and Greg Adams was huge at the time.

God I wish Sundstrom hadn't had those bad knees.

That is actually a very vital trade for the franchise as it seemed Sundstrom was really the first acquired Devil to actually positively impact the franchise. AFter his acquisition the team slowly morphed from Mickey Mouse to learning how to win.

Good call Leeds.

I'd have to say Lemieux, because the guy simply hated to lose and gave it his all and clearly was an influence, and was acquired for a guy in Turgeon who couldn't have been more of Claude's polar opposite...an all-time overachiever for an all-time underachiever.

OUI Claude!!!
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#19 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

There's some good stuff there, but I think the Lemieux trade was a huge turning point for this franchise, in addition to getting Scott Stevens.

Edited by Jerrydevil, 05 November 2010 - 08:55 AM.

#20 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

Idk if Marty should really count, we really didn't trade for him. I like to think that the Devils would have taken him anyway at #11 if they didn't make the move with the Flames, and he obviously would have been available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users