55 replies to this topic

#21 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

Manta's not that far off. There will be quite a few teams able to offer Parise figures in the 8 to 9 mil per year area.

No, there isn't. Those contracts with those cap hits so far have only been given to Crosby and Ovechkin and those came before the cap crunch of the last few years. I think we learned from this past summer that teams aren't willing to hand out deals with that type cap hits any more. Again any team that would be attractive to Parise isn't going to have the cap space to give him that deal. The teams that can are unattractive to players. Not to mention he would be a RFA, meaning a deal that big teams would also have to give up 4 first round picks that have to be their own. That further limits who can or is willing to hand that out.

His potential cap hit ceiling is probably around 7 million. He will probably make more for a few years in the deal depending how it is loaded, but the hit will be lower than 8 or 9 million. Such a deal will come from the Devils as they can and will match any offersheet in the range.

The only way I don't see Zach being locked up is if he just wants out and won't sign anything beyond a 1-year deal. If that is the case he would clearly want out and there would be nothing the Devils can do about it.

#22 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

If Lou loses Parise, he and his cap should be out the door next. It's almost unimaginable that we'll have Kovalchuk for a decade-and-a-half and only memories of Parise. Talk about a bitter, bitter pill to swallow.

#23 H.E. Pennypacker

H.E. Pennypacker

Albany Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

if some idiot gives parise 8 million dollars plus i take the draft picks and run. like i said earlier give him the same cap hit as kovy 6.67 a year.
Posted Image

#24 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,946 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, honesty... 7 first round draft picks in 4 years is almost scary to think about. We would have a dynasty at our fingertips.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#25 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

My plan would be re-signing Parise to a one-year deal worths 5M and start a long term deal later on because Lou will have much more room to think with Rolston, Elias and Brodeur all off the books after next season.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#26 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

My plan would be re-signing Parise to a one-year deal worths 5M and start a long term deal later on because Lou will have much more room to think with Rolston, Elias and Brodeur all off the books after next season.

I agree. I think having Parise making about 5.5 for the next 2-3 years is great, then move him upto around 6 the following 5. We have got to do something about Patty's 6 million contract though. Hes not worth it. He should be making 2.5 after that b-s of a contract is done.

#27 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:30 AM

If we have a sh!tty year like its starting now, why would he sign here?

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#28 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

That's a terrible idea. Then if next season goes bad or negotiation breaks down he has an easy walk with the team getting nothing.

You sign him to a long term deal this year and get that number in the budget. He you can't get him to sign anything beyond a 1 year deal then he clearly want out and I think it would be to trade him.

#29 MartysGlove

MartysGlove

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

I agree. I think having Parise making about 5.5 for the next 2-3 years is great, then move him upto around 6 the following 5. We have got to do something about Patty's 6 million contract though. Hes not worth it. He should be making 2.5 after that b-s of a contract is done.

For the second time this thread, Parise will not be making a penny less than 6 million annually for the next decade.

His long term deal will be around Kovalchuk's cap hit. A short term deal would be even higher 7+ million.

#30 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

One of the reasons Parise's current contract is so awesome is not only the cap hit, but also the fact that it expires with him still becoming an RFA and not a UFA. This way the Devils have a very good chance of re-signing him and if even if they fail to do so, they're gonna get some nice compensation.

That's why Lou has to use this tricky contract which he himself created to re-sign Zach long-term. Signing him for a year or two would be risky, as he would become a UFA soon and we want to use his talent to win a Cup or two before we can let him go (for nothing).

#31 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:03 AM

I really feel like Parise wants to be a Devil for a long long time. He has been groomed to be a leader on this team and a potential captain. Many of the players have said that he's a leader and that when Brodeur is gone, that he will be the face of the franchise. If all these people have been saying these things, I just feel like it would be a complete shock to see him walk away from this team.

I not only feel confident that he will stay, but I believe he realizes that asking for a contract that would result in more than 7mil cap hit would handcuff this team for a long time with Kovy being here at the price he is, not to mention the Vanderbeek may not want to spend another 100mil either. I think that he will resign long term and for a cap hit between 5.5-6.5mil. I'm really hoping he'll give us a good discount and sign for 5.5mil with the hopes of allowing the team more leeway to sign better players in order to stack the team for a cup run, but anything up to 6.5mil would be fine by me.

If the contract would make his cap hit more than 7mil, I'm not so sure that he's worth it. Parise works very hard, is a great player and also it a leader on this team, he has never scored 50+ goals or topped 100pts and usually players with cap hits of 7+mil are players that can do this. Parise may do this at some point, but I don't think he's a guy that can do it with any regularity. He's not a very big player and gets by more so on his work ethic than his talent. This in no way is meant to take away from how great a player he is, I just don't believe he's worth more than 6.5-7mil, so if it comes down to it, I would let him walk if he wants that much money.

Edited by ATLL765, 07 November 2010 - 02:08 AM.

#32 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

I think that he will resign long term and for a cap hit between 5.5-6.5mil. I'm really hoping he'll give us a good discount and sign for 5.5mil with the hopes of allowing the team more leeway to sign better players in order to stack the team for a cup run, but anything up to 6.5mil would be fine by me.

You're hoping for a cap hit less than Kovalchuk's? That's not going to happen. Thank goodness you're not in the negotiations, because you're disrespecting Parise, who's a better player than Kovalchuk.

Stack the team for a Cup run? Hah!

#33 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, honesty... 7 first round draft picks in 4 years is almost scary to think about. We would have a dynasty at our fingertips.

Not really unless it were the Oilers or Panthers giving us top 5 picks every year.

I love the idea of building through the draft but i'll never get the preference for futures over a proven superstar. Even with 20/20 hindsight, I would have a hard time deciding between Parise and our 4 best 1st round draft picks in the last 19 drafts (1992-2010). It's close but I think I would take Parise over Gomez + Zajac + Sykora & 1 of J Smith/Tedenby/Josefson. If you take our recent drafting history in the first round, Parise >>>>> Bergfors, Corrente, Tedenby and Josefson and it's not even close.

Edited by Lateralous, 07 November 2010 - 10:08 AM.

#34 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

Not really unless it were the Oilers or Panthers giving us top 5 picks every year.

I love the idea of building through the draft but i'll never get the preference for futures over a proven superstar. Even with 20/20 hindsight, I would have a hard time deciding between Parise and our 4 best 1st round draft picks in the last 19 drafts (1992-2010). It's close but I think I would take Parise over Gomez + Zajac + Sykora & 1 of J Smith/Tedenby/Josefson. If you take our recent drafting history in the first round, Parise >>>>> Bergfors, Corrente, Tedenby and Josefson and it's not even close.

Most of those picks besides JJ were not in the top 20 either, Parise was taken at 17th. While I still think he was a great find, Lou knew what he was doing when he traded up

Edited by SMantzas, 07 November 2010 - 06:20 PM.

#35 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

Most of those picks besides JJ were not in the top 20 either, Parise was taken at 17th. While I still think he was a great find, Lou knew what he was doing when he traded up

Which is why I put the caveat about the Panthers and Oilers. Do you really thing a team that is attractive enough for Parise to sign with (not the Oilers or Panthers) that actually adds Parise is going to yield 4 top 10 picks? Since the answer is probably no our 1st round draft history is relevant.

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,609 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

lateralous:

i'm not huge on 1st round picks, but 4 first rounders is better than parise at 8 million. while you won't get a player as good as parise, you get $8 million in cap space + 4 first round picks. those picks can be used for a lot of good stuff.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#37 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

lateralous:

i'm not huge on 1st round picks, but 4 first rounders is better than parise at 8 million. while you won't get a player as good as parise, you get $8 million in cap space + 4 first round picks. those picks can be used for a lot of good stuff.

How do you know what youre gonna get? It could be a Seguin type of thing

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,609 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

How do you know what youre gonna get? It could be a Seguin type of thing

sorry, i was unclear. i meant that you won't get a player for $8 million as good as parise in free agency.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#39 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

You're hoping for a cap hit less than Kovalchuk's? That's not going to happen. Thank goodness you're not in the negotiations, because you're disrespecting Parise, who's a better player than Kovalchuk.

Stack the team for a Cup run? Hah!

I was much less commenting on Parise's value than I was commenting on how I believe he is a true team player and would not be so egotistical to demand such a large payday, but where in his past do you see that he'd be worth more than a big name star like Kovy? As I said, he's not cracked 100pts and his career best of 94 was in 08-09 where the whole team was way more offensively minded and many guys had career seasons on offense. If we have Kovy at 6.67, why in the world would you think we'd not get Zach for a lesser number? Zach is without a doubt not the kind of guy to demand a paycheck like Kovy did. He knows he has to be a team player if this organization is going to compete for a cup.

Put me on the record as saying Parise will DEFINITELY sign for a cap hit of less than 6.5mil. If he doesn't, to hell with him then.

#40 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

I was much less commenting on Parise's value than I was commenting on how I believe he is a true team player and would not be so egotistical to demand such a large payday, but where in his past do you see that he'd be worth more than a big name star like Kovy? As I said, he's not cracked 100pts and his career best of 94 was in 08-09 where the whole team was way more offensively minded and many guys had career seasons on offense. If we have Kovy at 6.67, why in the world would you think we'd not get Zach for a lesser number? Zach is without a doubt not the kind of guy to demand a paycheck like Kovy did. He knows he has to be a team player if this organization is going to compete for a cup.

Put me on the record as saying Parise will DEFINITELY sign for a cap hit of less than 6.5mil. If he doesn't, to hell with him then.

You and I just don't agree on this at all. For one, I think the days of stars taking less to better compete for a championship are over for this franchise. Did you notice that after Kovalchuk's first contract was rejected, he did not take significantly less money for the second approved contract? And Parise is better than Kovalchuk. If you could poll every GM, asking them who they would rather have, who do you think would come out on top. Kovalchuk? I don't think so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users