55 replies to this topic

#41 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

thing of it is... I'm an extremely loyal person, but even I woudl think of departing if the right geographic location came up. Like Rafalski on the Wings was too perfect to turn down. Zach himself is not where Rafalski was.... just - the Chemistry is messed up and H'es never been on the team when it wasn't inexplicably awful. For his experience - NJ is the same as anywhere else :noclue: There is nothing keeping him here at all.

and he's at that age now.... AND he's in uncharted territory - who's to say which team is going to be hot? He DOES know what sort of control he has in NJ and that in fact he cannot lead a whole team on his back and no one here can teach him that - thank you organization for that - nice work there nice holding on to the clarity there Lou big thumbs up. <_< That was the teams strong point... so now... what's the selling point for Jersey for Zach?

What's his dad thinking? What does every one know about the league and about the organizations that really mean something any more?

You know - for that matter what is Jersey bringing to the table for ANY NHL player anymore? a half-assed warm-n-fuzzy Larry Robinson is about it, near as I can tell. Maybe I'm just in a mood. A Lady Bynging Oates? A smart Mac who has zero experience - he's must just be spending this whole year doing nothing but observing and learning -- he won't be ready for action for a year probably two and THEN he'll have to move to a new team to put it all in play I'd bet.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 08 November 2010 - 08:55 AM.

I'm here for the party

#42 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

It sounds like you agree with me, Pepperkorn. Taking one for the team is a difficult sell. Guess what? The Devils are going to have to pay the man some serious coin. And they probably will, because Vanderbeek does not want to be the owner who fell all over himself to sign Kovalchuk and let the team's best skater and a fan favorite get away. That would be a PR disaster.

Obviously, it would be a bigger mess if Parise walked away and the Devils got nothing in return. But even if some team signs Parise to an RFA offer sheet and the Devils get four first rounders, it's still a PR disaster ... because they courted the wrong player.

#43 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

What worries me -- is that money isn't going to be the object here.... :mellow:

I'm here for the party

#44 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

What worries me -- is that money isn't going to be the object here.... :mellow:

Yeah, I know what you're saying, that he might welcome a change of scenery. Whether he stays or goes, there's going to be no Devil discount.

#45 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

Yep. and I just can't harbor any ill will if he goes.

Niedermayer I can have fun with the hate because he stole trade secrets! :giggle: Zach... I fell awful for. There are now trade secrets for him to make off with. :saddevil: This organization has no more secrets - hence no fear. and they can't even pretend liek they do. :evilcry:

Man it's truly back to square one here. Posted Image with no Al Arbor Posted Image no Jaques Lemaire Posted Image No ANYONE!! Posted Image

Edited by Pepperkorn, 08 November 2010 - 10:35 AM.

I'm here for the party

#46 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

You're hoping for a cap hit less than Kovalchuk's? That's not going to happen. Thank goodness you're not in the negotiations, because you're disrespecting Parise, who's a better player than Kovalchuk.

Stack the team for a Cup run? Hah!

If only Kovalchuk played like Parise...

#47 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

If only Kovalchuk played like Parise...

They've both had an excellent start to this season.

Edited by mrthemike, 09 November 2010 - 02:32 PM.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#48 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

You know - for that matter what is Jersey bringing to the table for ANY NHL player anymore? a half-assed warm-n-fuzzy Larry Robinson is about it, near as I can tell. Maybe I'm just in a mood. A Lady Bynging Oates? A smart Mac who has zero experience - he's must just be spending this whole year doing nothing but observing and learning -- he won't be ready for action for a year probably two and THEN he'll have to move to a new team to put it all in play I'd bet.

I said this in the chat the other night, but there is really nothing from a professional standpoint that would keep people in NJ anymore. It used to be all about winning. That is what kept people here. The chance to win. To be a contender every season. But guess what, every single free agent post-lockout has left NJ and experienced something better.

Scott Niedermayer - His career took off even more. Played with his brother, enjoyed the weather, won a Cup, Conn Smythe, etc.

Brian Rafalski - went to Detroit and immediately won a Stanley Cup, followed by another Cup appearance. Chances are they will be contender again this year.

Scott Gomez - Left Jersey for the city he wanted and beat the Devils in the first round the next year. Got to the Conference Finals last season with Montreal. Even though he has been traded, I don't think he is unhappy for a second with his decision.

Aaron Asham - Went to Philly where he went back to bring the fairly productive player he never was in NJ. Stanley Cup appearance last year with a strong playoff performance.

Jim Dowd - Larger role in Philly and Conference Finals appearance his first season gone.

Brian Gionta - Makes the Conference Finals in his first year with Montreal and becomes the captain of the most storied franchise in hockey.

John Madden - Wins a Cup his first year gone in Chicago.

Mike Rupp - Goes to Pittsburgh where he goes back to being an everyday player, where he isn't being scratched by his head coach. Has a career year scoring 13 goals.

Paul Martin - To early to say what is in store in Pitt, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say he'll be having more success there.

And it isn't like anyone who signed with NJ with the idea of winning a Stanley Cup or having a great chance every year has worked out. Almost every free agent brought in has struggled from Mogilny, Malahkov, McGillis, Matvichuk, Rachunek, Vishnevski, Holik, Rolston, Niedermayer, Tallinder, Arnott and of course with the trade, Kovalchuk.

If Zach needs to talk to any former teammates when he becomes a UFA, I don't think any of them from the list above is telling him don't leave. They are probably all enjoying their new organizations and successes they have each had outside of NJ.

Edited by devilsrule33, 09 November 2010 - 03:21 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#49 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,492 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

that's because those teams are looking to bottle the kool-aid. i wonder where bobby holik is on this list about leaving NJ - zero playoff series wins outside of this organization.

zach's not going to have his pick of teams. he's going to have a few teams after him. so it's just a question of whether or not these teams can offer him more money and a better chance to win.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#50 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

I said this in the chat the other night, but there is really nothing from a professional standpoint that would keep people in NJ anymore. It used to be all about winning. That is what kept people here. The chance to win. To be a contender every season. But guess what, every single free agent post-lockout has left NJ and experienced something better.

Scott Niedermayer - His career took off even more. Played with his brother, enjoyed the weather, won a Cup, Conn Smythe, etc.

Brian Rafalski - went to Detroit and immediately won a Stanley Cup, followed by another Cup appearance. Chances are they will be contender again this year.

Scott Gomez - Left Jersey for the city he wanted and beat the Devils in the first round the next year. Got to the Conference Finals last season with Montreal. Even though he has been traded, I don't think he is unhappy for a second with his decision.

Aaron Asham - Went to Philly where he went back to bring the fairly productive player he never was in NJ. Stanley Cup appearance last year with a strong playoff performance.

Jim Dowd - Larger role in Philly and Conference Finals appearance his first season gone.

Brian Gionta - Makes the Conference Finals in his first year with Montreal and becomes the captain of the most storied franchise in hockey.

John Madden - Wins a Cup his first year gone in Chicago.

Mike Rupp - Goes to Pittsburgh where he goes back to being an everyday player, where he isn't being scratched by his head coach. Has a career year scoring 13 goals.

Paul Martin - To early to say what is in store in Pitt, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say he'll be having more success there.

And it isn't like anyone who signed with NJ with the idea of winning a Stanley Cup or having a great chance every year has worked out. Almost every free agent brought in has struggled from Mogilny, Malahkov, McGillis, Matvichuk, Rachunek, Vishnevski, Holik, Rolston, Niedermayer, Tallinder, Arnott and of course with the trade, Kovalchuk.

If Zach needs to talk to any former teammates when he becomes a UFA, I don't think any of them from the list above is telling him don't leave. They are probably all enjoying their new organizations and successes they have each had outside of NJ.

I don't know why this list needed merc-y players like Asham, Rupp, Dowd, and even Maddog to an extent. they're irrelevant. and I'm sure Gomez is happy with his bags of money, but now he's an underachieving goat wherever he goes.

Pretty doubtful any big-money FA is going to Arron Asham and Mike Rupp for advice.

#51 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

I don't know why this list needed merc-y players like Asham, Rupp, Dowd, and even Maddog to an extent. they're irrelevant. and I'm sure Gomez is happy with his bags of money, but now he's an underachieving goat wherever he goes.

Pretty doubtful any big-money FA is going to Arron Asham and Mike Rupp for advice.

I have no idea who Zach would go to and I doubt you do either. Regardless they are ex-Devils who didn't have a good run here at the end but found more success somewhere else. That was the point of the list. Maybe not all of them had a bad time at the end, but the success has been greater on their new team.

At this point, from a professional standpoint, I don't see much interest for a player to come to NJ or stay with NJ other than much more $$$. That didn't use to be the case. And I am sure Zach will have the opportunity to make more money somewhere else.

And Tri, the list was post-lockout. Holik really? But from the interviews I have heard, Holik has no problems leaving NJ. Loved the money obviously, and seemed to really want to be a Ranger / enjoyed his time with the Rangers a lot regardless of the outcome.

Edited by devilsrule33, 09 November 2010 - 04:38 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#52 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

At this point, from a professional standpoint, I don't see much interest for a player to come to NJ or stay with NJ other than much more $$$.

Case in point: Ilya Kovalchuk. This is team my foot.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#53 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

But guess what, every single free agent post-lockout has left NJ and experienced something better.

Sergei Brylin, Erik Rasmussen, Brad Lukowich, Jay Pandolfo, Richard Matvichuk, Karel Rachunek, Vitaly Vishnevski, Kevin Weekes and Niclas Havelid all say "Hi!"
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#54 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

We CANNOT let Zach walk away from NJ without something in return, Lou has got to realize this, too many quality players left the Devils over the last 10 years or so, and were not be replaced with equal quality ...you know their names.
Zach is worth a ton, I'd hate to see him go, but if it looks like it might happen, Lou has to trade him before hand.

Edited by hargsy, 09 November 2010 - 06:34 PM.

#55 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

Good for him! He should protect his financial future. The Devils haven't shown him that they are interested in him being the franchise player. Parise get as much as you can from whomever it's all about money. Say goodbye to the Devils unless Lou retires,

#56 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Case in point: Ilya Kovalchuk. This is team my foot.

Right, because you know his true intentions. :doh1:

But let's not open that can of worms again

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users