89 replies to this topic

#21 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

A vuvuzela? I would've thrown you on the ice.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#22 JustinZ

JustinZ

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

I don't think you need to be drunk and disorderly to be a TRUE fan (not saying you were in this case). It has everything to do with what kind of a person you are and not what kind of fan. Some people like to get drunk, make lots of noise and taunt other fans... other people just like to enjoy the game and enjoy the fan craziness after a big play.

I also agree with this. People are different. I like to sit in my seat and really watch the play closely. At Intense moments in the game sometimes I'm so into it I can barely breathe let alone start a cheer. I remember a couple years ago against Carolina in the playoffs, a group of guys a section over in the upper section were starting chants all game, and we would get into most of them, but when you're doing it every 2 minutes it gets old fast. Then a big power play started for us and this guy turned his back toward the ice yelling at people to get up and cheer. Everyone near me was so intent on watching the play, we ignored him, the he starts going nuts how we suck as fans, meanwhile this "true fan" had his back to the ice for 30-45 seconds of a power play in a huge game. Different strokes.
Posted Image

#23 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

i admit that i'm one of those fans that sits and watches the game intensely rather than standing and cheering the whole time. but i have no problem with the fans around me getting hyped and loud as possible as long as i dohn't have to hear f bombs dropped every second(if my 6 yr old is with me, otherwise i don't care).

and if the people in front of me were standing and cheering, even though i don't like doing it, i would have stood and watched and not asked anyone to sit down and relax. i understand that most fans aren't as understated as i am at a game. i stand and cheer for a good hit or a goal, but mostly i sit and suffer watching a game until they win.

i don't think you did anything wrong.

As I've gotten older I have become more like you just described. I used to be much more vocal but I now save that for the playoffs. I enjoy regular season as well but I just can't go crazy over every single thing since there are so many games during the year. I just like to watch closely to try to get a good read on what the team is doing and how they are playing but I never have issues with anyone cheering madly around me.

One thing I like to do is stand. If I'm in the last row I'll do it for the whole game, otherwise you'll wind up blocking people. With so many people moving in an out it's really the only way to maintain a clear view of the game. I just feel more into it as well.
New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#24 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

I'd like to try to put an end to the "You Suck" garbage already, especially when we're in the basement like this...it's really embarrassing. Thanks for the input again! :cheers:

I completely agree. It makes us look like goons. Esp when we are down by 3 goals, score one and then chant YOU SUCK to the other team. I would really like to see another goal song. I still say Hell Yeah by Rev Theory. :giggle:

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#25 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

I've been to a decent amount of games in my life, but I noticed last night in 124 a lot of people weren't even standing and cheering when the Devils scored. I've never seen that in my life going to games. Hell, even if you're not the loudest in your face fan most people normally stand up when the team scores a goal.

I wanted to stand up for the final minutes of the 3rd and overtime like I did on Wednesday (had no rows behind me) but I figured if I did it on Friday with a ton of rows behind me people would give me sh!t so I didn't. Still made sure I was loud though!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#26 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,277 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

I wasn't there of course, but since you are openly soliciting opinions....there is nothing wrong with supporting your team and cheering them to victory. However you did say; "I must throw in the fact that we were all drinking before and during the game" and "now that I'm sober and clear minded" in your post. Might you have been a wee bit obnoxious? After all, nobody likes a drunk, especially if you have to sit near one for a few hours.

Yeah it's hard to say anything definitive either way since we only know one side of the story.

That said, usually the fans in the lower bowl and the fans in the upper level seats are from two different planets as far as visceral excitement, passion, etc. The weird thing about last night was with all the free tickets, a lot of people who are usually in the uppers were down below so there was definitely some culture shock with the sth's in the lower bowl going on I'd imagine :lol:

Especially since it's a Friday crowd and there do tend to be more people drinking at those games to begin with since it's the end of the work week and you don't get the amount of kids you have during the weekend games.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 November 2010 - 12:18 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#27 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

I usually give a good yell or two during a game, moreso @ a player.

For instance last night I yelled "Clarkson, YOU SUCK"

10 seconds later he took his 2,5,10. :cheers:

#28 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

LOL would have looked like a top with it sticking out of his ass.

Seriously, I have no idea what happened to a group of the under-25 fan base of this team once it moved to Newark. All of a sudden, they all seem to have this arrogant attitude that if you aren't drunk, standing up for 60 minutes, chanting "you suck" or acting like an overall douche....well, you aren't a true fan.

At least that's the impression i get.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#29 Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

Exactly. I'm 26 and like to have a good time at games, but it does get annoying at any sporting event when the people in front of you want to stand a lot during a game. Also not everyone is in their 20's, they may not have the energy to stand all the time, and jump out of their seats. Doesn't make them any less of a fan. Nothing is wrong with being enthusiastic, but I could see how four drunk guys standing and yelling in front of me all game could get on my nerves and like I said I'm 26 and like to drink before and during the games. :noclue:

I'm glad you said this. Because I agree, it would be rude for 4 guys to disrupt an entire game with their loudness and standing to block others views of the ice would be wrong. But keep in mind that we only stood during the goal celebrations, certain stoppages, and then wanted to during the final PP in OT in which we still ended up sitting :doh1: . So it was really only the end that we wanted to stand during gameplay, just clearing that up. I agree with those who pointed out that it is night and day between upper and lower level fans. Unfortunately the players can actually hear and see the lower level fans...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

Sounds like a couple corporate fans to me...but seriously,props to you guys. I wish more of our fans were like that

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#31 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hey....atleast our fans arent like NFL fans. :giggle:

Like I said, there is a fine line between having a few and cheering your team on and just being belligerent.

Edited by Quinn01, 13 November 2010 - 12:33 PM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#32 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

+1

I'd rather be asked to join in the macerena than listen to one of those things.

#33 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

People need to keep in mind that for almost every team 50% of their fan base are front-runners.. The Devils just have a smaller fan base so when we do poorly our 50% is smaller than other team's

There's nothing you can do about it, but if you stay loyal during the rough patches the reward will be sweeter when you taste victory

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#34 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

LOL would have looked like a top with it sticking out of his ass.

Seriously, I have no idea what happened to a group of the under-25 fan base of this team once it moved to Newark. All of a sudden, they all seem to have this arrogant attitude that if you aren't drunk, standing up for 60 minutes, chanting "you suck" or acting like an overall douche....well, you aren't a true fan.

At least that's the impression i get.

I think it's just that cheap alcohol became more easily accessible in Newark because there are bars a short walk away.. Since hockey is played in the colder months it was harder to tailgate and buying beer inside was expensive.. Now you can sit inside a nice, warm bar with $3-$5 specials and hammer them down before walking in..

I like to have a few before games but it doesn't make me aggressive or obnoxious, just louder and more easily distracted by the Devils Dancers :giggle:

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#35 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

I think it's just that cheap alcohol became more easily accessible in Newark because there are bars a short walk away.. Since hockey is played in the colder months it was harder to tailgate and buying beer inside was expensive.. Now you can sit inside a nice, warm bar with $3-$5 specials and hammer them down before walking in..

I like to have a few before games but it doesn't make me aggressive or obnoxious, just louder and more easily distracted by the Devils Dancers :giggle:

I guess a couple of bowls of loudmouth soup can have that affect lol.

Colin, the Devils Dancers? Bah, i know a few places in the Essex/Bergen area you can go to if you want to be "distracted" lol. I mean, i don't know...i only heard about it...yeah.... ;)
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#36 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

Absoultely not wrong. I am an intense sitter, because I love the team, and like to see the plays develop, but fvck, if we have a chance to score, I get up, if we need to be loud, there shouldn't be a problem. DO YOUR THING BROTHA!!!
Posted Image Posted Image

#37 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

Call me crazy but if I wanna sit and watch the game there is a place for that. It's called my couch at home. But that's not really a calm place for me during Devils games either..

If I'm gonna get out of the house and go to a game I'm gonna cheer, boo, and do all the fun stuff that you only get to do at a game. But minus the profanity and such. It's still a family atmosphere so it's good to keep that in mind.

And heaven forbid I ever get a chance to see the Devils in person. If I do I'm sitting with you guys!!
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#38 TackleDummy

TackleDummy

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

We were sitting in Section 14. There's a lot of people who just sit on their hands down there. My brother had a vuvuzela and while a lot of people like it, tons of those crappy fans down there looked less than pleased.

Damn it I was sitting in section 16 wondering who that was. After I heard it once, I expected, and looked forward to, hearing it a lot more during Lets Go Devils chants.

Edit: They aren't nearly as annoying when there's only one and you aren't right next to it. Even if it was right next to me, I could deal with it for a game.

Edited by TackleDummy, 13 November 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#39 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

I'm too damn nervous at times to cheer or chant stuff. I think I'm more relaxed with someone like my brother but its more inbetween commercials things where we just do silly things. I'm not one to start stuff but I will join in. Its my personality and I'm no less passionate just different.

#40 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

Every sporting team or individual wants support from their fans and at the game that means noise. You see it all the time the players of most sports asking for the fans to get involved by raising their hands to the fans. I do think you should do what you want within reason and to do it without an inconvenience to those sitting by you so if they don't want to stand then respect them and sit because you are blocking their view. That doesn't mean you can't jump up and down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users