260 replies to this topic

#201 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

I'm quite tired so I would need to confirm this later but I believe they can leave him off of the 25 man post season roster and there should be no issue with his contract since he'd still be on the 40 man. I can't envision any way he gets his sh!t together to be a rotation option and at this point I don't see any use for him in the pen.

I'm really pissed about how the Orioles handled this weather issue and the Yankees seem to be as well. Not only did they refuse the double header today and decided to hope to get it in on Sunday now, the Orioles want the Yankees to play the final make up game on September 8 AND at 7 PM - for reference the Yankees play September 7 at home against the Orioles at 1 then have to fly out to Anaheim for a night game on the 9th. I hope the Yankees fight tooth and nail on this. Hell, either make them play the make up game at Yankee stadium and split the gate, or fvck the Orioles back over and forfeit the game so they lose money. fvck the Orioles organization, the way they handled this was completely unprofessional but I guess that should be expected from a third rate organization.

I wasn't suggesting that it isn't technically possible for them to leave him off the playoff roster (although I wouldn't be surprised if there was some BS clause in his contract for that), just that the Yankees would be extremely hesitant to take someone getting paid that much money off the major league roster completely. Let's face it, that's the only thing that's keeping him in the rotation right now.

As for the Orioles-rain situation, yea, it's bullsh!t. You'd that these guys would be able to figure out what the logical thing to do is. And honestly, the Orioles aren't going anywhere this year, so they really shouldn't have a say in the matter.

Edited by nyrsuck26, 27 August 2011 - 03:47 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#202 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

Jesus making his MLB debut tonight at Fenway! Been following him ever since he was signed as an IFA years ago, very excited to watch him this month. This also means Romine can finally get a taste of AAA. Too bad AJ is pitching tonight so its a guaranteed loss. The other additions in the first wave of September call ups are Pendleton, Valdes, Proctor, Laird, Dickerson. Expect Noesi and Laffey to be back once they clear the 10 day period.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#203 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

Jesus making his MLB debut tonight at Fenway! Been following him ever since he was signed as an IFA years ago, very excited to watch him this month. This also means Romine can finally get a taste of AAA. Too bad AJ is pitching tonight so its a guaranteed loss. The other additions in the first wave of September call ups are Pendleton, Valdes, Proctor, Laird, Dickerson. Expect Noesi and Laffey to be back once they clear the 10 day period.

Nice. Should be exciting!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#204 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

I just watched the finish of the Yanks/Sox game.... Michael Kay said, "put it on the left side!" after the Yanks won. Uh, is he serious? That's a complete rip off of Howie Rose's "Put it in the books!" Mets' win call. What a tool.

Edited by nmigliore, 01 September 2011 - 10:35 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#205 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

I just watched the finish of the Yanks/Sox game.... Michael Kay said, "put it on the left side!" after the Yanks won. Uh, is he serious? That's a complete rip off of Howie Rose's "Put it in the books!" Mets' win call. What a tool.

I'm sure most announcers have something along those lines so I don't think its that big of a deal or its a rip off. Overall I think Singleton is a better play by play guy and I think Cone is one of the best color guys in the game since he actually cares to mention sabermetrics and references sites such as Fangraphs on air. Though I find all of the Yankee color guys to be fine and they seem to have a good rotation going to keep the broadcast fresh. I just can't stand Kay doing the play by play at all. He lets his ego and opinion overshadow the game and other announcers often.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#206 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:49 PM

I don't really have any beef with the Yankee announcers besides Kay (I'm not being biased here either; the guy has just always rubbed off as a major tool and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way). I have heard games called by Singleton/Cone and they are much more bearable to listen to. I know Cone is a big saber guy, which is awesome. The Mets broadcast, while very entertaining with Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling as color guys, couldn't be more opposite; they are real old school guys. Ralph Kiner joins the booth once in awhile, and believe it or not, he may be the smartest guy on the broadcast. But on Kay again, I don't know, as soon as I heard his game-ending call I couldn't help but immediately think of Howie's call, which hes been doing for years. As jerky as Kay might be, it would be pretty stupid/unprofessional for him to just rip off something like that anyway, so it's probably just a funky coincidence, but it's still sort of weird how they are so similar.

Edited by nmigliore, 01 September 2011 - 11:52 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#207 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Kay either. He does come of as very toolish, too dramatic, and way too much of a homer (I am aware that he gets paid to be a homer). The best dynamic YES has is Singleton with Cone and O'neill. I do think the Mets full broadcast team is all around better, though.

All that said, I don't think he ripped this "Put it on the left side" thing that he started this year off Rose. Yeah, it sounds a little similar, but many baseball announcers have similar calls for wins and homeruns and such.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#208 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

seriously, nmiggy? I mean, I've seen some pretty lame-o arguments before. but... seriously?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#209 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

seriously, nmiggy? I mean, I've seen some pretty lame-o arguments before. but... seriously?

"Put it in the books!"

"Put it on the left side!"

Both game-ending calls. Meh. It just sounded really similar to me and pretty lame when I heard it. But whatever.

Edited by nmigliore, 03 September 2011 - 02:30 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#210 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Mike at River Ave Blues does a great job tracking the prospects (hell the entire farm for that matter) everyday and released his version of minor league awards. Even if you're not a huge fan of following prospects, I suggest giving this a quick read to get an update on some names to know. RAB 2011 Minor League Awards

#211 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

I'm not a fan of the save stat, nor did Mo need it to prove he is the best reliever of all time, but congrats to him on getting to 602! A record that I doubt will ever be broken. Its insane how great he's been for this long with no signs of slowing down.

----

I love the sh!t NoMaas always comes up with, this being my favorite post of the year:

It started off with a declaration that the 2011 Boston Red Sox were the best team in the history of baseball. We witnessed this terrible official team anthem. Boston beatwriters went after anyone who criticized the great Child King, Theo Epstein.

And now, with their postseason hopes being held together with duct tape, Boston's diseased fan base MUST root for the Yankees to defeat the Tampa Bay Rays in a midweek series. How about that? After anointing their team in January as the best the world has ever seen, Sox fans must now kneel down and say "Please, Yankees. Help us get to the playoffs!"

Gotta love the images they create too!

#212 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Now we're playin Yankee baseball baby. And Nova, with the gem last night!

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#213 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:04 PM

Yankees not only clinch a playoff spot but the division! What a perfect day for the Yankees! Really nice to see Jorge come up with the hit to seal it! Rough year for him but nice for him to have that moment.

#214 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

AL East champions!!!

Now I wouldn't mind losing tomorrow so Tampa has a better chance of catching Boston.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#215 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

AL East champions!!!

Now I wouldn't mind losing tomorrow so Tampa has a better chance of catching Boston.

I want to see the C line up tomorrow! :P

#216 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

CC has been a rock as usual so this shouldn't come as a huge surprise but I found it interesting:

http://nomaas.org/20...t-so-clear-cut/

Both pitchers have generated the same amount of Wins Above Replacement with seven, so right away Sabathia is even with Verlander. And both FIP and xFIP show Sabathia to be the slightly better pitcher.

The number that really jumps out is Verlander's unnaturally low BABIP of .236. It's by far the lowest BABIP of his career (career avg. .285). Looking at Verlander's batted ball profile, there's nothing that really accounts for the ultra-low BABIP. On the other hand, Sabathia's BABIP of .318 is the highest he's had in any season of his career (career avg. 291). While Verlander had a stellar season, it certainly appears that he either had some good luck or some good defense on his side during his starts.

While Verlander is obviously worthy of winning the Cy Young, this shouldn't be the one-horse race that is currently being discussed in Mediotville.

#217 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

As some of you may know the SWB Yankees are still trying to find a field to play on next season while their park gets renovated. Some of the locations aren't that intriguing (Lehigh Valley, Ottawa) while I'm still holding out hope for Staten Island. I had no idea until this article was published but apparently the Yankees really wanted the team to play this next year in Newark, which would've kicked ass. I definitely would've taken advantage of the opportunity to go see them since its so close but unfortunately the Mets exercised their rights and denied it everytime the Yankees would bring it up. Interesting article here. I don't really get why the Mets had such a huge problem with it since it would be for 1 year but it sucks this didn't go through. Not trying to start any fight here since I have no ill will towards the Mets or their fans but I feel like its a weak move on their part. Newark had a rich baseball history and this move would've been great for the Yankees. I doubt it would've affected the Mets that much.

#218 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

the Mets exercised their rights and denied it everytime the Yankees would bring it up.

Dammit! :doh1: :doh1: :doh1:
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#219 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

As some of you may know the SWB Yankees are still trying to find a field to play on next season while their park gets renovated. Some of the locations aren't that intriguing (Lehigh Valley, Ottawa) while I'm still holding out hope for Staten Island. I had no idea until this article was published but apparently the Yankees really wanted the team to play this next year in Newark, which would've kicked ass. I definitely would've taken advantage of the opportunity to go see them since its so close but unfortunately the Mets exercised their rights and denied it everytime the Yankees would bring it up. Interesting article here. I don't really get why the Mets had such a huge problem with it since it would be for 1 year but it sucks this didn't go through. Not trying to start any fight here since I have no ill will towards the Mets or their fans but I feel like its a weak move on their part. Newark had a rich baseball history and this move would've been great for the Yankees. I doubt it would've affected the Mets that much.

That would've been awesome! And I agree, I doubt the proximity of the Yankees minor league affiliate is going to affect how many Mets fans go to Citi Field. If anything, it would've adversely affected the Yanks attendance-wise.

Edited by nyrsuck26, 27 September 2011 - 10:44 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#220 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

That would've been awesome! And I agree, I doubt the proximity of the Yankees minor league affiliate is going to affect how many Mets fans go to Citi Field. If anything, it would've adversely affected the Yanks attendance-wise.

SWB Yankee beat writer Donnie Collins actually was able to come up with a decent theory on why the Mets did this in his blog post today.

I do, however, think this story bears repeating: Back in late 2006, when Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was courting potential big league affiliates after the Phillies left town, the Mets were one of the interested teams. In fact, word on the street was that, for a time, they were the most interested team. We all know how it turned out for the Yankees, but what many people don’t know is that, while a group of Mets officials were getting their tour of the stadium, several representatives of the Yankees were in town signing their intentions to move to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on the dotted line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users