260 replies to this topic

#61 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

From what I heard, out of the three B's, Brackman is the closest to being major league ready and he's projected by Cashman to be a bullpen guy. I hope I read wrong on that cause Cash was so proud of the young arms in the system. Would hate that there is not a top flight starter among them.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#62 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Yankees sign Freddy Garcia

Can't hurt.. it's only a minor league deal. Whether it's Colon or Garcia, one of them should pan out and become a 4th starter. (which is really all we need out of either of them anyway) I'm gonna give FG the slight edge here, only because he pitched last year.. but who knows.

..anyway, I like this move.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#63 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

Well see how this works. He has a slow fastball and is a flyball ptcher. Never a good combo.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Colon and Garcia are both no risk, but probably no reward. It'd be nice if one of them pans out even for a little bit but I'm not getting my hopes up. I still have a decent amount of hope that Pettitte will eventually come back and I think Nova should be fine for a rookie.

Anyone that likes to follow the minors check out this interesting Q and A that Josh Norris did with Mark Newman.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#65 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

Andy Pettite chooses retirement...

Well, sh!t...thanks for the memories Andy, wish it could have been one more year but I'm happy for the immense playoff experience and 5 World titles you helped bring us.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#66 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

Good for Andy to go out on his own accord. He was a great player, and a probable Hall of Famer. I wish him luck in whatever he chooses to do in the future.

Thank you, Andy!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#67 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Sad to see one of my favorite players go but he has earned it and I wish him the best.

I'd like to see them sign Millwood just to give them another option for the rotation.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#68 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Images of Andy

#69 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

Yankees bringing in Ronnie Belliard and Eric Chavez to compete against Nunez and Pena in Spring Training for the back up IF spot. Belliard will earn $825K if he makes the team. No details on Chavez yet.

#70 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

NoMass Interview with Baseball America's John Manuel

#71 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

So now that Albert Pujols will most likely hit free agency next year, everyone in the world is speculating that the Yankees or Red Sox are going to hand him an A-Rod deal...and I have to wonder why? (aside from having cash to burn)

I mean, it'd be amazing for about five-seven of those years to have one of the best hitters in baseball's history on this team. But don't both teams seem loaded up on the infield? (This of course assumes you're going to put Albert in the infield and not OF/DH: he's played practically every position in the game at some point in his carerr, but I doubt you put him at 2B/SS at 32 with his size and speed.)

NYY: Texeira, Cano, Jeter, A-Rod - I guess if you let Swish or Posada walk you could try to shuffle the defense around...while he's never played it before in New York I imagine Tex could play third if asked, then you put A-Rod in right field/DH. Or there's always trading Tex or A-Rod...the Cubs or Angels might be desperate enough if Albert doesn't sign with them...but I don't know if anyone would take on that deal or if we'd get fair market value for them because of the massive deals. Also, it's tough to say how Tex would perform at 3rd...his limited sample size from his rookie year (2003) is very UZR-negative, and that's the last time he's played third.

Boston: Gonzales, Pedroia, Scutaro, Youkalis - you just extended Gonzales, and AFAIK he's 1B/DH only. You're not moving Pedroia or Scutaro/other to put Albert there. Which would leave Youk as odd man out, assuming that either Gonzales or Pujols is willing to shift to third. I don't know all of Boston's contract situations other than Scutaro and Cameron coming off the books in the near future. The only reason I could see Boston signing on is because Ortiz is due to hit FA very soon, and having Pujols and Gonzales rotate 1B/DH would be better than keeping Gonzales at 1B and Ortiz at DH.

And that contract is going to turn into an albatross by the last two years if we assume it's A-Rod in length and cash. Can anyone predict Albert Pujols keeping this pace up to his age 41 season?

Truthfully, I can see this ending in either a Cardinals or Cubs uniform...I'm sure the Cubs are going to be sending him every signal that he's welcome to name his price for the Windy City...but one never knows. Eveyrone assumed Cliff Lee was a Yankee, and here he is in a Phillies uniform.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#72 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

First Spring Training game on YES right now!

#73 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

Feels good to know baseball's back.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#74 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

In the spirit of NHL trade deadline day....

http://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/42324511504334848

Bob Nightengale of USA Today just told us that he thinks its possible that Liriano is traded to the Yanks in nxt 2 weeks for Nova or Joba +

I'm down for this depending on what the plus is. Joba is a reliever so he doesn't hold a lot of value plus the bullpen is strong so he is expendable. Nova is a solid back end rotation prospect but with the the depth they have (Killer B's, Phelps, Noesi, Warren, and Stoneburner) he is more than expendable. As long as they aren't giving up any of the Killer B's, Montero, Sanchez, or Romine I'm down.

#75 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

In the spirit of NHL trade deadline day....

http://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/42324511504334848

I'm down for this depending on what the plus is. Joba is a reliever so he doesn't hold a lot of value plus the bullpen is strong so he is expendable. Nova is a solid back end rotation prospect but with the the depth they have (Killer B's, Phelps, Noesi, Warren, and Stoneburner) he is more than expendable. As long as they aren't giving up any of the Killer B's, Montero, Sanchez, or Romine I'm down.

He is using some Єklund (2.3% accurate) words like 'think' and 'possible'. It is also possible that Cliff Lee is traded to the Yankees in the next two weeks for Andruw Jones and AJ Burnett.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#76 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

Liriano is a bit of a health risk, but he has the talent to be one of the best pitchers in the game (and he was last year, if you look past the ERA -- his FIP was 3rd best in the Majors while his xFIP was 2nd best). If I were Minnesota, talks would have to begin with Montero or Banuelos.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#77 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

Liriano is a bit of a health risk, but he has the talent to be one of the best pitchers in the game (and he was last year, if you look past the ERA -- his FIP was 3rd best in the Majors while his xFIP was 2nd best). If I were Minnesota, talks would have to begin with Montero or Banuelos.

Since Liriano is a huge health risk that is why I won't give up any top prospects for him. I'd much rather give up quantity over quality. Perhaps something like Joba, Nova, Adams/Joseph, and Phelps/Noesi/Warren. I'd rather not include Romine but he is certainly not a deal breaker if it came to that.

#78 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

I doubt the Yanks get Liriano during Spring Training. I think that they are honest in letting the last two rotation spots get determined by competition. Once the season starts however, and if things don't go so well [knock on wood], you can never count the Yanks out of anything.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#79 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

http://riveraveblues...ken-foot-44173/

The Yankees have announced that Frankie Cervelli has a fractured bone in his left foot and will be in a boot and unable to perform baseball activities for the next four weeks. Six-to-eight weeks is the realistic timetable for when he’ll be able to return to the team. Cervelli suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off the top of the foot earlier this week. He stayed in that game for another inning but was eventually lifted.

Cervelli has horrible luck in spring training. Looks like the opportunity is really open for Jesus to get the backup C role now.

#80 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,213 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/status/51124711186378752

#yankees are close to signing kevin millwood to an incentive-laden minor-league deal

I like this move. Provides nice depth in case Nova or Colon/Garcia fail miserably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users