Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

DISREGARD FIREWORKS

ACQUIRE KOVY-BASH

Well at least the disregard/acquire meme lives on :P

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

We're 20-25 games in - what determines a streak? 3 games? 5 games, 10?

it doesn't matter. whether or not they're on a streak or not, why are they successful? it sure isn't at preventing shots at even strength - they are last in the league at this so far. let's look at what playoff teams were 20th or worse over the last 3 years, who were also 20th or worse in ES shots for:

09-10: MTL, COL. montreal was the top special teams team in the league.

08-09: none

07-08: MTL, PIT.

it's really hard to win this way.

Is PHI on a streak or for real? What about NJ is it a losing streak or are they really this bad?
How can you determine how long they are likely to sustain success? Do you know Pavelec's future performance? Do you know Kane's ultimate potential?

PHI is for real. NJ is on a losing streak. Pavelec is probably pretty good but we have to wait 2 years to determine if he is. Kane is going to be an excellent player but he's not likely to be a star this year. Happy?

Based on personnel and coaching right now the future looks bright for them regarding playoffs.
Do they still need a few pieces? Sure, but that was what we thought was the final solution (to a mostly complete team) to the NJ success formula - yet here we are battling it out with bottom-level dwellers like TOR, NYI, and CGY for extra points in a shootout.

I say that that franchise is coming around - purely on the shoulders of Enstr./Buff/Kane alone as its future.

byfuglien is a UFA in 2012. enstrom is a UFA in 2013. i think atlanta is still stuck in their cycle of going from bad to okay, but we'll see how pavelec plays.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

Let's say 94 gets you in. We have 58 games remaining and 18 points so far. We'd have to go 38-20 for the season. It's feasible, but there's a lot more variables involved. There's so many teams now that technically if the Devils lose a game and the teams that are ahead of them and within reach win that puts us back 4 points. I'm not even worried about positions 1-7 in the rankings. It's teams ranked 8-13 and 15 that we have to root for to lose or go cold. That's why I was rooting for Tampa and Colorado last night to win despite having a rooting preference for Toronto and Atlanta. The fact that both Toronto and Atlanta got one point sucks for us.
Look at Buffalo: They've got 21 points. We have to hope they lose the next game they play while we have to win the next two games we play. Let's not hope that Buffalo gets a point then that would only draw us even. If Buffalo wins the next two and we win the next two it's all moot because we're still down three points. So many variables.

all you can do is win your games and worry about your own point total. if you make the point total you need, you'll get in. looking at the standings and what teams A-H do will just drive you insane. :lol:

there's a limit to how high the bar will be, just as there's a limit to how low it'll be. right now it's 91-92.
which would be pretty much normal.

#44 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:03 AM

Atlanta's not that good and they will probably finish out of the playoffs. Again.

They're not that bad either. Hawks East is working so far. Big Buff leads all D in goals (10) and points (27) while also pacing the league in game-winners (5). Ladd has evolved into a solid contributor and is their captain. Eager fills his role well and Sopel adds a vet presence to a young blueline that boasts Enstrom and Bogosian. Pavelec has assumed the No.1 goalie backstopping them to a six-game win streak. There's a lot to like with emerging second-year power wing Evander Kane, promising Russian rook Alexander Burmistrov plus key components Peverley and Bergfors. They're four over new NHL style without anything from Antropov, Little and Bogosian. Craig Ramsay has gotten the most out of Stewart, who previously was a bust with Florida. They also boast a solid fourth line in Thorburn, Slater and Boulton.

Since trading Kovalchuk, they've become more of a team instead of just relying on one superstar. They probably are at least a year away. In a weak East, this scrappy bunch could sneak in.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#45 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

I'm just looking at the team stat from NHL.com
The ratio of 5 on 5 goals versuses 5 on 4 goals for Atlanta is 46/20. I don't know where you're getting this idea that their 5 on 5 stinks since they got most of their goals 5 on 5 by nearly 2.25 to 1.

I wouldn't call them a great even-strength team yet. Their D is suspect and can be attacked. Pavelec has covered up a lot which is what happens when you have a hot goalie. Since I picked him up in my league, he's been on a roll. Hopefully, that continues. The Thrashers will need more from Antropov, Bergfors (6 goals) and Little. If they come up, that could offset some of the slumps a few of the overachievers might have.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users