49 replies to this topic

#41 chrisg19

chrisg19

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:59 AM

I don't dislike either player, Elias or Langs, but truth is neither is playing well right now, and both need to step up their play. If Lou were able to deal either, and I am not so sure that will be an easy prospect, than no question I would trade Langs. The sh!t he pulled last year is enough for me, and the truth is his stats benefitted enormously from playing with two very talented linemates the past few years. When they struggle he disappears. As for Elias, yes he leads the team in points, but really that's not saying much as his point total on virtually any other team in the league would be mediocre. For the salary he is making he needs to do more. I agree he is more of a playmaker than goal scorer, but then we have an "elite" goal scorer on our roster, seems they would be a natural fit, but no. I realize they are both left wingers, but Elias is a decent center, and you would think those two could find a way to mesh.

Bottom line both need to play better.
"It wasn't Mike Eruzione shouting his own name that finally convinced coach Brooks to stop making the players do sprints. It was Mark Johnson, who smashed his stick against the glass in a fit of rage." Movie Mistakes and Bloopers

My Devils Photos

Work

#42 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

Bottom line Elias is a Devils legend, and can still perform at a decent level. He can play any and all roles asked of him. Very versatile, and is definitely a leader/player the younger guys look up to.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#43 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

Well let's be honest about one thing, Elias has $18 million left on his contract and a NMC, Jamie has $2 million left and a limited NTC. Which one's gonna be easier to move? Even given the fact that Elias has played better than Jamie.

Nobody can deny the room needs a cleansing though, this team's stunk like rotten food for almost a whole calendar year now. The biggest change you can make in the room is getting rid of the captain. The captain of a sinking ship ain't worth too much to keep around.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 03 December 2010 - 08:19 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#44 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

I agree he is more of a playmaker than goal scorer, but then we have an "elite" goal scorer on our roster, seems they would be a natural fit, but no. I realize they are both left wingers, but Elias is a decent center, and you would think those two could find a way to mesh.

This is a point with which I agree 100%. I'm not much interested in excuses for anybody. I give Elias credit for addressing the media and being a leader. But that's about it. He's mostly mediocre to terrible on the ice.

#45 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

“They were ready,” Langenbrunner said. “We weren’t.”
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#46 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

“They were ready,” Langenbrunner said. “We weren’t.”

Yeah, that quote bugs me.

#47 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:19 AM

This is a point with which I agree 100%. I'm not much interested in excuses for anybody. I give Elias credit for addressing the media and being a leader. But that's about it. He's mostly mediocre to terrible on the ice.

I guess leading the team in points is "mediocre to terrible". He is having a down year, but who isn't? I would love to hear what you say about the OTHER players

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#48 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

I guess leading the team in points is "mediocre to terrible". He is having a down year, but who isn't? I would love to hear what you say about the OTHER players

I don't have much nice to say about anybody, including the coach who is in over his head. Tedenby is making good on his opportunity. And Zubrus has helped his chances of getting traded to a contender with his consistent effort. Stephen Gionta can tell his grandkids one day that he got a cup of coffee in the NHL.

#49 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

I don't know why you guys continue to feed DevilinLA. He used to be a quality poster, but this year his single-minded hatred for Elias has placed him squarely in LucifersDog/MantaRay territory.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#50 chrisg19

chrisg19

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

Elias is leading the team in points at a blistering .6 points per game. He is on pace for an eye popping 49 points. Sorry that is pretty mediocre for a $6 mil a year player.
"It wasn't Mike Eruzione shouting his own name that finally convinced coach Brooks to stop making the players do sprints. It was Mark Johnson, who smashed his stick against the glass in a fit of rage." Movie Mistakes and Bloopers

My Devils Photos

Work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users