295 replies to this topic

#141 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

why in the world would jacques come back for that? lemaire has been a head coach in the nhl for 15+ seasons.

Why would he come back at all for half a season?

#142 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

+1

He's also the Devils' all-time leading goal scorer and the guy who put the Devils into the playoffs for the first time in history.

Sadly, you might be right.

I don't care. You wear a Rangers uniform and you are nothing to me, ever. I predicted MacLean would fail, and he did.

Lou probably told Jacques he was right about last season and that it wasnt his fault and then waxed poetic about the old Canadiens teams over some Canadian Club on the rocks with a promise to trade Langenbrunner and a few others as soon as possible.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#143 #21

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

I just listened to the press conference, felt like I was listening to a funeral.

#144 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

probably because lou asked him to.

this is going to be a big stretch for the team. the GM doesn't need to be distracted by also being a coach.

Edited by Triumph, 23 December 2010 - 11:21 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#145 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

If you believe his promise to Brodeur, he has one more year to go as long as Brodeur is here (perhaps another reason to consider moving Brodeur). But I heard from somebody that there is some legitimate disconnect between Lou and ownership and that it wouldnt be surprising to see Lou leave. Ownership isn't happy with how Lou has exploded the team's payroll and limited it's flexibility, and this goes back the past few years, not just this year.

The person speculated the only reason Lou may be sticking is to try and ensure his son, Chris maintains a high-level position in some capacity in the front office. For the record, I do not want either Chris Lamoriello or Conte as GM when Lou leaves. Devils should go outside the organization for a new GM. I hate to use this analogy, but Lou reminds me of George Young with the Giants. Eventually George Young for all his greatness in the 80s got to a point in the early-mid 90s where he just got old as a GM and lost the touch that made him great. The game and the business changed and he couldnt adapt and it seemed moves that typically bore the hallmark of success floundered again and again.

Interesting. Good post.

Even though he may have "lost the touch" as a GM, I wonder if he'll want to continue being a GM. He doesn't seem like the retiring type.

#146 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

Well, let's see what happens now.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#147 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

probably because lou asked him to.

this is going to be a big stretch for the team. the GM doesn't need to be distracted by also being a coach.

+1.

There's a lot of off-ice analysis and evaluation that needs to be done and some work in making moves and reloading towards next year.

I'd really really love to be inside Jamie Langenbrunner's brain when he heard this news.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#148 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

This is going to be a big stretch for the team. the GM doesn't need to be distracted by also being a coach.

Good point on the task that lies ahead (unloading assets).

#149 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

Interesting. Good post.

Even though he may have "lost the touch" as a GM, I wonder if he'll want to continue being a GM. He doesn't seem like the retiring type.

I wouldn't mind having Lou stay on as president and/or CEO, but it's time to let someone else handle the player decisions.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#150 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

I wouldn't mind having Lou stay on as president and/or CEO, but it's time to let someone else handle the player decisions.

I'm wondering if he would like to be a GM somewhere else.

#151 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

I don't care. You wear a Rangers uniform and you are nothing to me, ever. I predicted MacLean would fail, and he did.

I hate the Rangers as much as the next guy, but I dunno, it wasn't like he went directly from NJ to NY. Plus he was only there for two seasons. He's spent approximately 22 years with the Devils as either a player or coach.

I do like your Lou-George Young comparison however.

#152 mac760

mac760

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

Jacques? I was hoping the next great marketing plan was going to be to randomly select fans during warmups to coach the team.

Give us a reason to show up early. Or at all for that matter.

Edited by mac760, 23 December 2010 - 11:35 AM.

#153 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

Like it really matters at this point. You could put Scotty Bowman in his prime behind the bench, and it would be a lost cause.

You'd get the same results with this behind the bench.

Posted Image

That would be awesome.

#154 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

Thank you, I was looking for a new sig line.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#155 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

So, let's start a betting line on when Langenbrunner gets traded. I say no later than mid-January, if not by Jan. 6th.

#156 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

So, let's start a betting line on when Langenbrunner gets traded. I say no later than mid-January, if not by Jan. 6th.

Thats the first thing that came to my mind. Langs will be gone in the next 2 weeks.

Whatever. Mac is gone and Jacques is in. Hopefully he can turn this train wreck all around in time.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#157 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

Peace, Jaime.

I would have liked Robinson to take over, but oh well, a change is a change..
Posted Image Posted Image

#158 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,880 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

MacLean just wasnt a good coach. Not sure why some people can't wrap their heads around it.

No, he wasn't. But when do we start firing the players?!?! If even just Langenbrunner had been traded a week ago I would have been perfectly fine with ****canning Mac, but my god, how many coaches does this rotten core get to go through?! And if you were gonna fire Mac before half a season then he should have been fired after the Long Island debacle last month. Now it isn't going to do anything other than maybe start a futile run in the second half.

And bringing back Lemaire is laughable, typical Lou. So the same guy that the entire team tuned out the last couple months last year is gonna coach this same group now? Maybe it's a perverse way to punish the players but I don't see what Lemaire has to gain out of this. He won a division title in his last year, what does he need with coaching more than half a season in a hopeless cause?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#159 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

Is it sad that now I'm actually looking forward to seeing them play tonight?

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#160 puckrock

puckrock

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

I hope Lou's meeting with the players is going something like "the only reason I'm firing the coach is because I tried to get rid of you sacks of sh!t and nobody wanted you".

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did say something along those lines.

Just a random thought... I'm not the best when it comes to stats -- and someone/anyone please correct me if I'm wrong -- but I think the last time the Devils hit last overall in the NHL standings was in the shortened 1995 season. We all know how that one turned around. Not saying to expect it again but it's worth a little hope.
This is my 2012 Playoff signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users