300 replies to this topic

#221 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

Why would a team with a bad contract that's coming off the books after this season trade for a guy that's due 5m next year too? What am I missing CR?

#222 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

For once the draft party will be something to really be looking forward to instead of just an excuse for the equipment sale.

Can't wait...

But still, would a top 3 pick really change the organization next season that much?
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#223 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

But still, would a top 3 pick really change the organization next season that much?

Would entirely depend on who and what they turned out to be if were at the big club right away. Probably not.

#224 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

Why would a team with a bad contract that's coming off the books after this season trade for a guy that's due 5m next year too? What am I missing CR?

If there's a team that thinks Rolston might still have something left...unfortunately I don't think there's a scout in world who should. Like I said, it'd be a miracle, but if the Devils are on the hook for, say, about 50%-60% of Rolston's salary (due to have keep hypothetical player A, while player B walks) I'd be thrilled.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#225 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

Time to re-assign him back to Albany. Bring him back up to showcase at the deadline and see what happens.

#226 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

And....much ado about nothing.

Unless Rolston refuses to report to wherever he's going, this is now a huge non-story.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#227 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

I almost read into this as other teams saying "Lou, you screwed yourself over. We're still kinda mad about the Kovy thing, so we're not helping you out this time. Good luck bailing yourself out of this mess you created"
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#228 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

And....much ado about nothing.

Unless Rolston refuses to report to wherever he's going, this is now a huge non-story.

According to his agent, he's not going to Albany :boogie:

I almost read into this as other teams saying "Lou, you screwed yourself over. We're still kinda mad about the Kovy thing, so we're not helping you out this time. Good luck bailing yourself out of this mess you created"

I think thats reading too much into this. I think the other teams just see that Rolston is finished and realize that even 2.5 is too much for the bum. I'm sure some GMs did think that way and wouldnt even consider it, but Rolston flat out sucks.

Brian Rolston cleared re-entry waivers and will be recalled. Nick Palmieri has been recalled from Albany.

Hes just been recalled lol

Edited by ghdi, 30 December 2010 - 12:45 PM.

#229 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

I think thats reading too much into this. I think the other teams just see that Rolston is finished and realize that even 2.5 is too much for the bum. I'm sure some GMs did think that way and wouldnt even consider it, but Rolston flat out sucks.

lol I know you're right, but I'm sure it was icing on the cake just thinking about the invincible Lou squirming to get out of a bad situation he put himself in
Posted Image

#230 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

I read face value into it, that other GM's are seeing what we see and Rolston's not even worth $5 million over two years on an unmovable contract.

Lou doesn't need help getting under the cap now, a dubious thanks to Parise's injury and Salvador's 'Stevens flu'. Not to mention Arnott and Langs will likely be gone by the deadline anyway. If they're still on the team in March then I'll buy the conspiracy theory.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#231 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

In case anyone missed my mess up there.

Per Devils Twitter:

Brian Rolston cleared re-entry waivers and will be recalled. Nick Palmieri has been recalled from Albany.

HES STILL WITH US.

#232 Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Well, we are all watching the same games as the GMs and Scouts so although it would have been nice and helpful, could we really have expected paid professionals to scoop up a player who contributes absolutely nothing for a 2.5 million dollar cap hit? Most AHLers at league minimum salary contribute more. My housemate who barley knows anything about hockey watches games with me and even he asks me how Rolston can be so bad...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#233 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,445 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

i don't really know why palmieri would be called up if there weren't some move coming.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#234 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

well, at least lou tried this time lol.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#235 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

Tri's good point notwithstanding, I think we're stuck with Rollie until the floor actually does go up and some team panics looking for cap space to fill. And even that's a maybe.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#236 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

i don't really know why palmieri would be called up if there weren't some move coming.

Hasn't Palmieri been playing well in the World Juniors? Maybe he played his way into being the piece that makes Rolston worth acquiring in a trade?

Although I don't think a guy in the minors has to be called up before getting traded, so there goes that.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#237 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,445 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hasn't Palmieri been playing well in the World Juniors? Maybe he played his way into being the piece that makes Rolston worth acquiring in a trade?

Although I don't think a guy in the minors has to be called up before getting traded, so there goes that.

different palmieri, unfortunately.

i still think the islanders can save money with rolston. maybe it happens closer to the deadline.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#238 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

Great, so now we have a guy on the roster who has just been waived twice including the embarrassment of having no one in the league pick him up for half of his cost. I don't want to get into whether or not Lou deserves to keep his job and what he's done for us in the past, but since the end of last season I don't think a GM could possibly do a worse job with this team if they tried. Cap issues hanging over this team like a cancer, letting Martin walk, Tallender signing, Kovy debacle and losing 2 picks as part of the fallout, signing a $1.5 million backup goalie when you know you're going to be up against the cap, MacLean, etc...I have absolutely no confidence in this guy anymore.

#239 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

So now Rolston wants out and has no reason to even try anymore. He'll be even more useless then before. Lovely.

#240 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

but apparently he'll play again, just not tomorrow cause "he's been off for 3 days"

3 days off and you don't even skate? yeah that's showing everyone you're still hungry to play.

from here on out, every game that i go to and he plays, i will boo him every time he touches the puck.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users