#261 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

Really? You don't see it?

The team has told Rolston that they would like to move on without him. They have told him he is no longer wanted. And now -- he's back. That is not a productive situation.

he's a professional. if he wants to go somewhere else, he has to play well. if he wants to continue sucking around here, he can keep avoiding contact and making bad plays.

plenty of people have been subject to re-entry and have passed through.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#262 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

The team has told Rolston that they would like to move on without him. They have told him he is no longer wanted. And now -- he's back. That is not a productive situation.

Rolston said he wanted a "fresh start" and that he hoped someone would claim him as well. So I don't really think he wants to be here anymore either. Its mutual, so this certainly is not a great situation.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#263 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

It wasn't productive before either. This at least garners the greatest chance that Rolston can go somewhere else. You go through the steps. You try to trade him, you waiver him, you re-entry him, you work on trades based on nobody claiming him. Rolston isn't the first, nor the last, that will go through that process.

I think I've seen the word "disaster" used for this, I don't see it as being a big deal. It's way less of a problem than Rolston not playing well to begin with.

Edited by Devils731, 30 December 2010 - 03:42 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#264 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

My point exactly.. and fwiw he was playing his best hockey as a Devil BEFORE they waived him... then he went back to really sucking again
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#265 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

My point exactly.. and fwiw he was playing his best hockey as a Devil BEFORE they waived him... then he went back to really sucking again

Lou has little else to do other than throw something against the wall.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#266 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

Lou has little else to do other than throw something against the wall.

Maybe he'd like to get Langenbrunner the fvck out of here already then. Long overdue doesn't even begin to describe it.

#267 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

I think I've seen the word "disaster" used for this, I don't see it as being a big deal. It's way less of a problem than Rolston not playing well to begin with.

It's not a disaster. But there's no reason for Rolston to be in NJ at this time. Somehow hoping that he plays better so that he can attract the interest of other teams -- not a good enough reason for me.

The Devils tried re-entry waivers, now it's time to end it. Let him play better in Albany, not NJ.

#268 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

The Devils tried re-entry waivers, now it's time to end it. Let him play better in Albany, not NJ.

Doesn't playing Rolston in Albany just make him less moveable? Right now there is still the option to move Rolston for getting other bad contracts back(hopefully under 35+), adding sweeteners, or a combination of both. If he's in the AHL he ends up that less likely to be traded, IMO.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#269 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

LOLWUT?

Rolston has five or six points this year in 20+ games. He was never playing his best hockey as a Devil this year in the regular season, hell his best hockey as a Devil came in 1999 :P

I don't feel bad for him one iota, he brought it on himself. I feel bad for his family, that's it. But this IS a total disaster, another embarassment in a season of them. Now you've got a player who's clearly not wanted, not moveable and not motivated still on the roster.

Doesn't playing Rolston in Albany just make him less moveable?

It's impossible for anything to be less than zero, unless you're talking about the plus-minus of just about everyone on the team.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 30 December 2010 - 04:24 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#270 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

Doesn't playing Rolston in Albany just make him less moveable? Right now there is still the option to move Rolston for getting other bad contracts back(hopefully under 35+), adding sweeteners, or a combination of both. If he's in the AHL he ends up that less likely to be traded, IMO.

That's just not a good enough reason for him to be suiting up in red and black. I don't think we want another bad contract. I think we want to turn the page ... or that's what we should be doing anyway.

#271 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

Didn't Lou say the other day Rolston needed to go to make room for a younger player (Zharkov)?
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#272 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

Didn't Lou say the other day Rolston needed to go to make room for a younger player (Zharkov)?

Indeed he did.

#273 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

That's just not a good enough reason for him to be suiting up in red and black. I don't think we want another bad contract. I think we want to turn the page ... or that's what we should be doing anyway.

Trading Rolston or not you have a bad contract, so it's quite possible the Devils would be better off with a different bad contract. A contract that they can waive would be much better. A contract that is 3 million instead of 5 would be much better. A contract that's an overpaid but ok defenseman instead of an overpaid forward, would be better. There are lots of options with Rolston that would be better and just burying him for the rest of this season and next in Albany is one of the poorest choices, IMO.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#274 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Trading Rolston or not you have a bad contract, so it's quite possible the Devils would be better off with a different bad contract. A contract that they can waive would be much better. A contract that is 3 million instead of 5 would be much better. A contract that's an overpaid but ok defenseman instead of an overpaid forward, would be better. There are lots of options with Rolston that would be better and just burying him for the rest of this season and next in Albany is one of the poorest choices, IMO.

not one of the poorest, the poorest (well okay poorer still would be extending him for 15 years and $100 million). i would rather the devils buy him out next off-season than continue to pay him to suck in albany. i've been shopping around for bad contracts but it seems that rolston's is the worst and it's going to be tough to convince someone to take it on.

#275 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

not one of the poorest, the poorest (well okay poorer still would be extending him for 15 years and $100 million). i would rather the devils buy him out next off-season than continue to pay him to suck in albany. i've been shopping around for bad contracts but it seems that rolston's is the worst and it's going to be tough to convince someone to take it on.

Scott Gomez is probably worse because of the $ amount, decreasing production and NMC (I think). That's about it. At least Redden doesn't have a NMC, it's just the worst in terms of dollars spent.

Trading Rolston or not you have a bad contract, so it's quite possible the Devils would be better off with a different bad contract.

If that option even existed do you really think we would have entertained re-entry before making that deal? Unless we really are hard up financially that saving $2.5 million this year and next trumps making a much better cap deal. Problem with Rolston is you basically need a contract worse to do a deal that gets back a moveable piece since the 35+ provides a virtual cap NMC to go along with the player NMC.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 30 December 2010 - 05:56 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#276 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

Damn it.I waived Rolston in NHL 11 and no one claimed him in the game :evilcry:
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#277 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

A roster spot for a player who has been practically ostracized (and who maybe has mentally checked out) is the poorest choice.

#278 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

Scott Gomez is probably worse because of the $ amount, decreasing production and NMC (I think). That's about it. At least Redden doesn't have a NMC, it's just the worst in terms of dollars spent.

Gomez has a very limited NTC. i would trade rolston for gomez in a second if we could clear the needed cap room.

If that option even existed do you really think we would have entertained re-entry before making that deal? Unless we really are hard up financially that saving $2.5 million this year and next trumps making a much better cap deal. Problem with Rolston is you basically need a contract worse to do a deal that gets back a moveable piece since the 35+ provides a virtual cap NMC to go along with the player NMC.

first, rolston may not have been open to a trade until they re-entry waived him. second, it's hard to imagine a trade that would be better than re-entry waivers. where lou made his mistake with rolston is in not front-loading the contract - i see why he wouldn't do that, but the devils have to start doing it.

#279 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

this situation is crazy.

looks like Rolston is here to stay... hope they can make him feel welcome... :D

sooo awkward! :D

this crap would be great reality tv... they should be filming them for HBO... this season would be hilarious!

Edited by ice dog, 30 December 2010 - 06:19 PM.

"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#280 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

A roster spot for a player who has been practically ostracized (and who maybe has mentally checked out) is the poorest choice.

he has not been ostracized. everyone insists he is great in the locker room and so on. it's the only way to get up his value so that he might go through this process again in a few weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users