300 replies to this topic

#121 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

"On June 29, 2008, Rolston's negotiating rights were traded from the Minnesota Wild to the Tampa Bay Lightning in return for a conditional draft pick in 2009 or 2010.
After failing to agree to a contract with the Lightning on June 30, Rolston became a free agent the next day on July 1, 2008, and signed a four-year deal worth $20 million to return to the New Jersey Devils."

Ugh! He was so coveted....and then....

He really was. Wasn't the story that more than a dozen teams were interested in him at the time? (And I think I recall hearing that we were the only ones, or one of the only ones, to offer a fourth year...)

I remember thinking if he could score 30 goals a year in Minnesota, he could surely do it here in the same basic system. Has he even scored 30 goals total in his second stint here yet?

All that being said, I will miss him when he's gone. But, the cap space is needed for the future and this year is all but a wash, so we might as well start cleaning up the mess of the past few years, contracts-wise.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#122 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

He really was. Wasn't the story that more than a dozen teams were interested in him at the time? (And I think I recall hearing that we were the only ones, or one of the only ones, to offer a fourth year...)

I remember thinking if he could score 30 goals a year in Minnesota, he could surely do it here in the same basic system. Has he even scored 30 goals total in his second stint here yet?

All that being said, I will miss him when he's gone. But, the cap space is needed for the future and this year is all but a wash, so we might as well start cleaning up the mess of the past few years, contracts-wise.

More ITB updates please!

#123 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

"Because Rolston is now on re-entry waivers, he cannot be traded by Devils unless/until he clears re-entry waivers at noon Thursday."

Like anyone wants to trade for him if hes gonna be on re-entry.

Possibly. Picking up Rolston on re-entry waivers means adding a $2.5M cap hit. If someone doesn't want that big of a hit but does want Rolston, they could trade someone with, say, a $3.5M cap hit to the Devils for Rolston, thus only adding an additional $1.5M net increase in cap hittery.

If there is a trade, I could see it being a swap of cap mistakes in hopes that a change of scenery would help both players involved.

Edit: Meant re-entry waivers, not waivers.
Edit edit: My math sucks.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 29 December 2010 - 12:50 PM.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#124 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

More ITB updates please!

Coming soon. It's been a rough season for me, but we'll be back to normal after the new year.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#125 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Come on someone pick him up!!!!

www.SterioDesign.com

#126 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

Come on someone pick him up!!!!

Hehe, it'll be awkward after no one claims him and he comes back to the team.

I've been calling him ZombieRolston for more than a year now (for lack of hockey vision and desire to shoot from any angle--"Rolston shooooooooot!"), and he's already survived one cut. This would be his next un-dead reincarnation. God, please let the Islanders claim him. Not that it fixes any immediate problems, but it's a start.

Too many "leaders" on this team. If we can dump Rolston and then Langenbrunner, hopefully someone else steps out of the murky shadows and is forced to play better.

Langenbrunner for Bergfors would make some sense for both squads.

#127 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

this should have been done in september.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#128 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

this should have been done in september.

of 2009. :P

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#129 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,276 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:31 PM

I still can't get over how Ilya Kovalchuk ruined Brian Rolston's career. I mean Brian was living up to every $ in his contract for a year and a half before Ilya was traded to this team. He's gone downhill ever since.

Now don't get me started on how Ilya has ruined Matt Corrente's development...

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#130 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

Just another Devil that we brought back that sucked hard in his 2nd tenure here. Hopefully someone takes him.

#131 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

I still can't get over how Ilya Kovalchuk ruined Brian Rolston's career. I mean Brian was living up to every $ in his contract for a year and a half before Ilya was traded to this team. He's gone downhill ever since.

Now don't get me started on how Ilya has ruined Matt Corrente's development...

Little known fact: Kovalchuk and Lemaire were the extra shooters on the grassy knoll. Lemaire, of course, used mind bullets.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#132 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

Kovalchuk stole my shoes.

#133 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:01 PM

I still say get him to accept a coaching offer within the organization for several million dollars, while refusing to go to Albany - thus voiding his contract.

this is two very clear circumventions of the cba

#134 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

One is dog sh!t and the other is donkey sh!t.

#135 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

we get it, you and mantaray don't like kovalchuk and think he drowns puppies in addition to getting terrible shooting luck

#136 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

we get it, you and mantaray don't like kovalchuk and think he drowns puppies in addition to getting terrible shooting luck

He drowns puppies too!? Dude, I heard about the kitten-kicking, but puppy-drowning is just too much.

And what does that make you?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#137 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

Going off a bit here, but when does terrible shooting luck turn into just being terrible shooting?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#138 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

Cue CRASHER with a cringe-inducing Michael Vick joke in 3...2...1...

#139 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

Going off a bit here, but when does terrible shooting luck turn into just being terrible shooting?

takes way more than a full season that's for sure.

#140 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

this is two very clear circumventions of the cba

Oh my, how I missed that word! But it's okay, we're going to hear it a lot next summer when the league does everything it can to stop us from re-signing Parise we re-sign Parise.

Hehe, it'll be awkward after no one claims him and he comes back to the team.

Imagine the Rags had enough cap space to claim him. Not sure why, maybe it's an obssession about the Rangers constantly trying to steal our players, but I just keep thinking about that scenario. It would be pretty ridiculous if the Devils had to pay a Ranger for a season and a half. Even if he's pretty awful (then again, at 2.5M a year and for 1.5 seasons he might prove helpful to some team).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users