#141 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

Better.

I'm sure a lot of what we saw has alrady been said.

I think one thing that stood out to me, was when Lemaire has talked about being out of shape...You'd have to think that the third period was an example of what he was talking about. We ran out of gas and shots. Of course the Rangers clamped down, but you'd have to think that was a part of it.

Refs were fine tonight, but I would love to know what Arnott said. It's still makes me angry that a ref gave a 17 year veteran in the league an unsportmanlike after a second in a close game like that. I don't pay to see the referees.

I thought we had some quality chances, but not enough...of course.

Things looked better. Zharkov was more effective overall than Rolly. Good to see someone with speed at least.

I can watch Tedenby, Zharkov make mistakes. I can't watch Jamie, Arnott and Clarkson anymore. I just can't. It's terrible.

#142 Bonginator11

Bonginator11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:29 PM

was at the game tonight too. the energy and heart from the team was there. unfortunately so were some mental lapses which ultimately cost us the game.

Some thoughts:
1) yes even though the Boyle goal was terrible on Marty's part, we didn't need three guys to converge on the same player. still, after all that work to score the first goal, that soft goal by marty was an absolute killer.

2) Arnott had an awful game and Zajac and Kovy weren't far behind. And I don't care if Clarkson needs lessons from friggin Kristi Yamaguchi - that fool needs to learn how to skate.

3) Tedenby scoring on the breakaway would've changed the game in my opinion.

4) while the cycling was good tonight - they gotta take more shots when given the opportunity, especially on the PP.

5) positive from tonight? watching Avery get owned time and time again.

6) and yes, the Rags fans around me really pissed me off.

#143 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:31 PM

Also, I can't remember the last time Avery was that much of a non-factor in this rivalry. Aside from being hit by Corrente, I can't think of him on the ice at all.

#144 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:42 PM

avery had a huge scoring chance that could've iced the game. but yeah, most of the rangers were non-factors since the devils dominated territorially.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#145 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:50 PM

Tri - I wanted to shoot myself over what I perceived to br major ice time for Sestito/Pelley/Mair. Am I wrong? Or was it everytime I saw them on the ice against Gaborik I wanted to jump from the balcony?

Edited by HellOnICE, 29 December 2010 - 11:52 PM.

#146 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

Tri - I wanted to shoot myself over what I perceived to major ice time for Sestito/Pelley/Mair. Am I wrong? Or was it everytime I saw them on the ice against Gaborik I wanted to jump from the balcony?

Pelley and Mair have been positives. Gaborik only had a few scoring chances, maybe only one that was really good and Marty made a nice save on it.

I may get flamed for saying this, but Pelley's been a solid checking line player and I'll take Adam Mair at 500k over David Clarkson at 2.6 mil. Mair is a better hockey player.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#147 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

Tri - I wanted to shoot myself over what I perceived to major ice time for Sestito/Pelley/Mair. Am I wrong? Or was it everytime I saw them on the ice against Gaborik I wanted to jump from the balcony?

Mair 10:45, Pelley 11:33, Sestito 14:22

It seemed like they were out there a lot cause Lemaire threw their line on the ice at the start of every period. A couple of them kill penalties PLUS they were out there with two minutes left in the game after our awry power play. That's one of the problems when you use nine forwards and don't score, you really have little choice but to put them out next unless you use them on the power play.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#148 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

was at the game tonight too. the energy and heart from the team was there. unfortunately so were some mental lapses which ultimately cost us the game.

Some thoughts:
1) yes even though the Boyle goal was terrible on Marty's part, we didn't need three guys to converge on the same player. still, after all that work to score the first goal, that soft goal by marty was an absolute killer.

2) Arnott had an awful game and Zajac and Kovy weren't far behind. And I don't care if Clarkson needs lessons from friggin Kristi Yamaguchi - that fool needs to learn how to skate.

3) Tedenby scoring on the breakaway would've changed the game in my opinion.

4) while the cycling was good tonight - they gotta take more shots when given the opportunity, especially on the PP.

5) positive from tonight? watching Avery get owned time and time again.

6) and yes, the Rags fans around me really pissed me off.

Clarkson needs more than just skating lessons, he needs to learn how to shoot the puck, and how to pass.

And Arnott's game tonight reinforces why Lou needs to move him and Langs now before it's too late.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#149 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

Pelley and Mair have been positives. Gaborik only had a few scoring chances, maybe only one that was really good and Marty made a nice save on it.

I may get flamed for saying this, but Pelley's been a solid checking line player and I'll take Adam Mair at 500k over David Clarkson at 2.6 mil. Mair is a better hockey player.

pelley and mair have gotten crushed. it hasn't helped being with sestito. mair is not a better hockey player than clarkson, sorry.

Clarkson needs more than just skating lessons, he needs to learn how to shoot the puck, and how to pass.

And Arnott's game tonight reinforces why Lou needs to move him and Langs now before it's too late.

arnott and langenbrunner aren't going anywhere until the deadline.

#150 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:03 AM

pelley and mair have gotten crushed. it hasn't helped being with sestito. mair is not a better hockey player than clarkson, sorry.

Did Mills fair any better Tri territorially?

I wish there was a way we could trade from some adequate fourth line grinders, with some size wouldn't hurt.

#151 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

They aren't going anywhere if they get hurt before then either and both are in their mid-30's so that's always a danger of waiting. Wisniewski just got moved for a second and a fifth, teams might be more apt to make deals earlier this year since there's ridiculous parity in the NHL right now and so many of them are bunched together.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#152 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

mills is terrible too. mills, sestito, and gionta do not belong in the nhl, period.

#153 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

For anyone ripping Marty early in the game....yes, the first goal was sh!t....however, shortly after he robbed Gaborik with the glove and then had a couple more absurd saves during a Rangers PP I believe...overall, many goalies would have given up more than 2 tonight....Lundqvist has our number, and it is starting to become ridiculous

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#154 Bonginator11

Bonginator11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

yes Marty did play well besides the first one. i think the stick smashing in practice did him some good to get the frustration out.

however, in a game like this, that first one MUST be stopped.

i forgot to add in my past post: looks like the team has responded better to Lemaire than to MacLean. i don't know if it had to do with the opponent tonight, but Lemaire definitely had our boys prepared to work their tails off.

#155 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:30 AM

mills is terrible too. mills, sestito, and gionta do not belong in the nhl, period.

from your mouth to Lou's ears, por favor

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#156 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:34 AM

i forgot to add in my past post: looks like the team has responded better to Lemaire than to MacLean. i don't know if it had to do with the opponent tonight, but Lemaire definitely had our boys prepared to work their tails off.

We have been outscored 12-3 in the 3 games he has coached so far......judging by the current pattern, I predict we lose the next game by 2-1.....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#157 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

I just want to see this team score more than one goal in a game. It's been ages. Granted, there could've been 3 or 4 devils goals tonight, but still, the scoresheet says 3-1 rangers.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#158 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:50 AM

as soon as marty let in that softy it was over.
the devils have pulled this crap all year...could not hold the lead past 45 seconds.

just thankful that JL is back... just think, at least we will have the priceless press conferences this year...:D
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#159 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:47 AM

The Devils already look 200% better organized. This goes to show how bad of a coach MacLean indeed was or how much better a HOF coach can make a team. They may not be scoring but we are outplaying the opposition.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#160 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:41 AM

Seeing Zharkov tonight makes me wonder even more why he hasn't been playing on the team all season, or at least once a guy, say Clarkson, wasn't doing anything. All the guy does is win pucks and possessions while forcing the opposing team into bad plays. Unfortunately there still isn't anywhere great to play him as whomever Clarkson plays with right now is effectively playing 4.5 on 5 hockey.

I was happy when I saw Zharkov come out on the second PP unit, not that he's great offensively, but I was glad Clarkson was leaving it since he seemed to have no idea where to even stand, let alone how to shoot or garner rebounds, but Zharkov was just taking Rolston's spot and Clarkson was still there. I'd rather the team throw Salmela out at a point and take Clarkson off that unit. Throw some defenseman out there at least, I don't even really care which one, Salmela, Corrente, Greene, or Tallinder would all be more effective options.

This wasn't really supposed to end up being all about how poor Clarkson's play has been, but looking at the Devils stats it's amazing that Clarkson has no PP points this season. He's been on the PP all year and hasn't even been able to accident his way into a point, it's likely because he doesn't know where to go, so he rarely gets near the puck on the PP, and he doesn't know what to do with it when he gets it, so he sets nothing up. Rod Pelley, Matt Taormina, Henrik Tallinder, and Mark Fayne have more PP points than Clarkson and they have less PP time than Clarkson combined, I imagine, when is enough, enough? Keep him on the 3rd line, but get him the heck off the PP.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users