117 replies to this topic

#101 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

Why does Hedberg take the loss and not Brodeur?

marty only gave up 3 goals so since we scored 3, he got off the hook for giving up his share.

apparently its not like baseball where the guy who originally messed it up for the team doesnt get the burden of the L

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#102 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

marty only gave up 3 goals so since we scored 3, he got off the hook for giving up his share.

apparently its not like baseball where the guy who originally messed it up for the team doesnt get the burden of the L

It's because the game winning goal was scored on Hedberg.

Edited by Amberite, 02 January 2011 - 01:30 AM.

#103 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

It's because the game winning goal was scored on Hedberg.

which is exactly what "he allowed 3, we scored 3 so he's off the hook" means... :whistling:

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#104 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:19 AM

So much for 2011 being the start of better things...at least these guys are curteous and considerate enough to remind us all that it's still going to be rough for a while...no winning streaks to delude us all. 3 goals in back-to-back games is at least SOMETHING.

Might as well start splitting time between Brodeur and Hedberg at this point. Why not? So tough to see Marty going through this...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 January 2011 - 02:20 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#105 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:09 AM

Well, we are at .500 for 2011.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#106 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

Actually, we're .000. The Atlanta game was still 2010 Eastern Time. :P

#107 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

How's that? They lost the one and only game they've played in 2011.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#108 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

Ilya Kovalchuk had no shots on goal in a team-high 23:28 of ice time tonight. He was minus-2 to drops his league-worst total to minus-28.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#109 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

Marty is pissed he was pulled. It's all about the team Marty, not you. Playing backup wasn't his idea of going out in style. When he created MB30 he thought he was bigger than the team, not true. He has been a product of the team.

#110 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

Marty is pissed he was pulled. It's all about the team Marty, not you. Playing backup wasn't his idea of going out in style. When he created MB30 he thought he was bigger than the team, not true. He has been a product of the team.

Everyone is a product of the team. You can think your sh!t doesnt stink all you want but when it comes down to it, you can be replaced....no matter who you are.

Marty needs to get his sh!t together or take it upon himself not his bosses, teammates, and/or fans to show him he isnt what he used to be.

The over all performance of the team is what really matters and right now....its pure garbage.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#111 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Marty's had some bad performances this year, but he was not much at fault yesterday. I read some people complaining about the rebound on the second goal, but that was not a juicy rebound. Skinner was not checked well, plus he made a very good play. First goal a deflection. The third goal ... what can you say, the entire team was overwhelmed on that shift.

Wow, no shots for Kovalchuk in 23 minutes? Let's face it. If the Devils don't draw power plays, he's often so ordinary. Our $100 million one-trick pony.

#112 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Marty's had some bad performances this year, but he was not much at fault yesterday. I read some people complaining about the rebound on the second goal, but that was not a juicy rebound. Skinner was not checked well, plus he made a very good play. First goal a deflection. The third goal ... what can you say, the entire team was overwhelmed on that shift.

Wow, no shots for Kovalchuk in 23 minutes? Let's face it. If the Devils don't draw power plays, he's often so ordinary. Our $100 million one-trick pony.

Unfortunately, I think the team is going to be re-tooled in the offseason to try and suit Kovalchuk and maximize his ability and protect his liabilities and tendency to loaf. Let's face it, we're stuck with him now, so we have to make it work.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#113 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

Let's face it, we're stuck with him now, so we have to make it work.

Yeah, you could be right. I doubt the Devils can make it work the other way around (Kovalchuk makes changes in his game).

#114 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, you could be right. I doubt the Devils can make it work the other way around (Kovalchuk makes changes in his game).

Not at all unfortunately. I think he was trying earlier in the year and even at points last year, and he just looked lost. Kovalchuk is what he is. He's a guy who needs space, and needs to get a lot of pucks and high volume of shots/scoring opportunities. He isn't a two-way forward. I think we all knew that.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#115 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

I am a big Marty supporter, but I had to chuckle at this.. The guy creates a brand for himself, and right now that brand isn't too strong

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#116 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

I am a big Marty supporter, but I had to chuckle at this.. The guy creates a brand for himself, and right now that brand isn't too strong

Right....For HIMSELF.....I liked the old Marty much more,,the one that loved the game more then himself.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#117 Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

I disagree. Brodeur left a fair share of rebounds in his prime as well. He relied on the D to clear it out or corral them when he did and he had many quality D to do that. Much like a Quarterback who throws to a specific "spot" on the field and expects the reciever to be there to catch it.

When he was in control of rebounds, they went into the corner (or off to the left or right of the goal).

When Brodeur is "on" he doesn't flop, flail, dive, kick/deflect rebounds out or back in the net towards shooters.

IMO, Brodeur's struggles are just as much due to what's in front of him as his own doing.

yea remember him in the olympics, he was getting lit up ! It was coming, we should have seen it. Age Age ughhhhhhh
#118 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

Actually, we're .000. The Atlanta game was still 2010 Eastern Time. :P

:doh1:

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic