#1 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

http://www.nj.com/de...arrived_ma.html

The unthinkable has taken place with the Devils. Martin Brodeur may be start to share the goaltending duties equally with Johan Hedberg for the remainder of this season.

#2 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Oh, sh!t.

Talk about a season from hell.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#3 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Wow. Honestly, I'd prefer this if it was being done to groom Marty's successor, but I guess Lemaire is doing what he feels needs to be done.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#4 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

Holy sh!t, the apocalypse is upon us! Everyone, flee for your lives! :headless chicken:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

It sounds more like Marty doesn't want to take on all these losses this season by himself. Just saying.

"But it's got to be fun for me to play hockey. Not winning is not fun. So if we get back to winning I'll play more. "

His attitude bugs me, and leaves me to question his character... not his skill... but he is bugging me more and more as he ages in the NHL.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#6 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Nothing wrong with this change. Coach has to ice the best team he thinks can get a W.

Father Time catches up with every athlete. The fall from leading the league in Wins & Shutouts as recently as last April to his now being abysmal is shocking.
But I would be surprised to see this suck continue next season. Part of that is my hope, but also I feel that rookies, & older veterans, can have lots of inconsistency . So like Jeter having an off year offensively in 2010, I too hope Brodeur returns to form next season. No matter what Brodeur is in the 11th hour of his career.

#7 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

It sounds more like Marty doesn't want to take on all these losses this season by himself. Just saying.

Oh stop it, he also said he didn't deserve to play because he wasn't winning. And he handled his benching at the Olympics very well when there was far less of a reason to sit him :P

Either way there's no reason for Marty to play 98% of the games this year. And now we'll see how good Hedberg plays with that kind of 'pressure' of doing the unthinkable. He's been good in his starts, not so good in relief.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 03 January 2011 - 04:41 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#8 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

Either way there's no reason for Marty to play 98% of the games this year.

I agree he shouldn't play 98% of the starts... I just want him to want to play and have management make that call that he isn't.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#9 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

Oh stop it, he also said he didn't deserve to play because he wasn't winning. And he handled his benching at the Olympics very well when there was far less of a reason to sit him :P

Either way there's no reason for Marty to play 98% of the games this year. And now we'll see how good Hedberg plays with that kind of 'pressure' of doing the unthinkable. He's been good in his starts, not so good in relief.

Yeah....he was great the other night starting......he did stop 4 of the 7 shots he faced.....very good start I'd say.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#10 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Yeah....he was great the other night starting......he did stop 4 of the 7 shots he faced.....very good start I'd say.

Who the hell are you talking about? I'm confus-ed.

#11 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Holy smokes
I always thought that Marty would be in net until he chose to hang 'em up.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#12 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

I agree he shouldn't play 98% of the starts... I just want him to want to play and have management make that call that he isn't.

Does it really matter at this point? Everyone knows Marty's dictated his games played for years when we were winning, who cares now that we're 900 games out? If anything I'd rather he slowly step aside than be unceremoniously pushed out of the way for another 38-year old, he's earned at least that much although just about everyone here dislikes him now for some reason.

He's 38 and playing in meaningless games for the first time this year behind by far the worst defense that's ever played in front of him with his own skills dissapearing faster than ice melts. I often joke that he's like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon thinking 'I'm too old for this ****' whenever we have yet another defensive breakdown but it really has gotten to that point for him.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 03 January 2011 - 05:15 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#13 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

I say we go with 2 forwards, 2 defenseman, and both Marty and Moose in net.. That would be unstoppable

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#14 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

Who the hell are you talking about? I'm confus-ed.

Who......Why Grandpa Marty of course.

#15 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

I say we go with 2 forwards, 2 defenseman, and both Marty and Moose in net.. That would be unstoppable

Marty should be the third forward, he'd have the goalscoring lead on the team by March :P

#16 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

LMFAO

#17 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

Does it really matter at this point? Everyone knows Marty's dictated his games played for years when we were winning, who cares now that we're 900 games out? If anything I'd rather he slowly step aside than be unceremoniously pushed out of the way for another 38-year old, he's earned at least that much although just about everyone here dislikes him now for some reason.
He's 38 and playing in meaningless games for the first time this year behind by far the worst defense that's ever played in front of him with his own skills dissapearing faster than ice melts. I often joke that he's like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon thinking 'I'm too old for this ****' whenever we have yet another defensive breakdown but it really has gotten to that point for him.

In that sense where I bolded, you are incorrect. A lot of people, including on here have criticized Marty the last few years, but they usually got flamed to hell on this board, from name-calling to saying that we are not fans. Now that Marty is showing more and more why he needs to retire, it is getting harder to defend him. He is a product of the system, not the other way around. He benefitted greatly from starting at least 75 games a year and playing the last few years in an era where ties do not exist.

#18 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

In that sense where I bolded, you are incorrect. A lot of people, including on here have criticized Marty the last few years, but they usually got flamed to hell on this board, from name-calling to saying that we are not fans. Now that Marty is showing more and more why he needs to retire, it is getting harder to defend him. He is a product of the system, not the other way around. He benefitted greatly from starting at least 75 games a year and playing the last few years in an era where ties do not exist.

There's a huge difference between defending his play THIS SEASON and running him out of town on a rail. It's more than just bashing his play, there's many people here with a personal dislike of him.

Yes at times he's got an ego (what big-name player doesn't?) and it's probably hurt the team some years the way Cal Ripken hurt the Orioles by his insistence on playing every game when he could have used a rest or Favre by playing when he shouldn't have - but for someone that's accomplished as much as he has he's still down-to-earth considering.

And if you're going to take his declining play at 38 years old as 'proof' that he's a system goalie I'm sorry, that's just insane.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 03 January 2011 - 05:25 PM.

#19 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

He benefitted greatly from starting at least 75 games a year and playing the last few years in an era where ties do not exist.

He benefited from playing more minutes and playing the shootout? How so? Padding the wins record? He's already surpassed roy's marker with regulation wins alone.

The true beneficiaries of the shootout are the young kids coming in, who'll probably beat marty's record by their mid 30s if they start young and play often. It wouldn't surprise me if someone beats marty's record within the next 20-30 years

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#20 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

I don't like it when people insinuate that anybody could have had the career Brodeur has had, just by playing for the Devils. I admit it -- the term "system goalie" pisses me off. Because it's a bunch of crappola.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users