Photo

Elias not happy with JL's coaching approach.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

bottom line is JL probably wasn't watching the Devils when this worked,

of course he was. he's always been an employee and LL said he was speaking with JL about the team all year long

#42 AlienDev

AlienDev

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

I think Elias is exactly right with his analysis, but PLEASE keep it in the locker room for God's sake. I thought we finally had some attack going on the PP, so stick with it. Who wants to see us NOT score on the PP just to keep fresh lines post-PP that are also NOT scoring? I mean, seriously?

But this team has to build confidence and trust from within first and this is as much players to coach as players to players. Give Lemaire some time to work with the team and get us some respect back again, and then let's get a decent coach we can all get behind for the next 5+ years.
Posted Image

#43 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

And I am not happy with this team's work ethic.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#44 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

Voicing your opinion about your boss in public is a dangerous game.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#45 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

Voicing your opinion about your boss in public is a dangerous game.

Not when your boss has no real authority to hurt your career. What's he gonna do, bench Elias for Stephen Gionta?

Wait, don't answer that ...

#46 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

So if Elias doesnt like Lemaire's coaching its ok with everyone...... But if Langenbrunner doesnt like lemaires decisions and coaching everyone wants him traded?.................. lol :rolleyes:
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#47 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

So if Elias doesnt like Lemaire's coaching its ok with everyone...... But if Langenbrunner doesnt like lemaires decisions and coaching everyone wants him traded?.................. lol :rolleyes:

Pretty much.
"... good ol' Patty ..."
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#48 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

For me it has more to do with Jamie going in the tank last year than anything else. I'm actually more disappointed that Jamie wasn't traded in the off-season. It was time for a change then.

If Patrik wants to say anything about Lemaire now, I have no problem with it, because he's not a real coach anymore. He's a caretaker.

#49 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:22 AM

Voicing your opinion about changes you don't like and still going out busting your @$$ night in and night out is a whole lot different than whining about being benched and then completely quitting on the team for the latter half of the season while you are still captain...but yeah its totally the same.
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#50 KC Devil

KC Devil

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:26 AM

JL has forgotten more hockey than all of us put together will ever know. The man is in the top echelon of teachers at any level.

Elias should shut the fu*k up and try to hit the net a bit more.

Yeah, JL fu*ked everything up last year :rolleyes: ......another Atlantic Division Championship. And, if you want to throw out the "another 1st round exit", just look at our regular season record vs. Philly last year. They wore us as their asshat.... I expected nothing less, as we were their bitches all of last year.
Mike Martin
KC Devil

#51 Devils1985

Devils1985

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

But this team has to build confidence and trust from within first and this is as much players to coach as players to players. Give Lemaire some time to work with the team and get us some respect back again, and then let's get a decent coach we can all get behind for the next 5+ years.

Have the Devils ever had the same coach 5 consecutive years?
Posted Image

Trenton: Where we flip off the Kiss Cam.

#52 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

JL has forgotten more hockey than all of us put together will ever know. The man is in the top echelon of teachers at any level.

This.

It's fun to play armchair coach or GM, but it's hard to when the actual coach has this resume:
- 8 rings as a player under Scotty Bowman
- inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame
- 2 rings as an assistant GM
- 1 ring as a coach (for the math-impaired, that's more rings than he has fingers)
- one of only 5 coaches to win more than one Jack Adams trophy

And when you take into consideration this organization's ascension to winning Cups and becoming a perennial contender, there are several people it couldn't have happened without: Lou, Stevens, Brodeur and Lemaire.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Lemaire knows better than every single poster on this board and player on the team combined. A little respect should be in order.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#53 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,479 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

The thing of it is though... it kind of WOULD be nice if Jacques remembered some of that too though, right?

I TOTALLY asked for him to come back and prayed he wouldn't even resign....

for some reason I thought the "hating to fail" Virgo aspect of his personality would come through as opposed to the "clinging to a failed concept like a rabid dog" aspect. What's pissing everyone off is Jacques ABSOLUTE refusal to admit he's wrong and he feels that actually considering additional input based on SOMEONE ELSE'S observations couldn't possibly be a valuable thing.

Patty IS wrong -- but he's just trying to take the Jamie impasse and break through it. This is NOT the way to proceed.

No one can make Jacques hear. Not Lou not Patty -- NO ONE. He's obviously decided to see his return as confirmation he was right. Basically the ONLY shot is Lou going to Jacques truly - in tears - and saying Jacques - you are WRONG. But you KNOW what to do if you could just take your blinders off. You are, like this team is, truly killing me with your absolute BLINDNESS. You all are the most capable men out there and I do not know how -- but you are ALL BLIND.

So Lou does this - Jacques nods in completely agreement and understanding. but in his head he's thinking. Poor Guy this team has killed him -- I'll just keep going down my road here and things will work out because I know I'm right... and besides I'm on this road so I can't turn back now!

No Jacques -- the key to real brilliance is being able to stop what you are doing and change. To acknowledge circumstances have changed and YOU MUST CHANGE WITH THEM. But you will never think that will you -- no you;ll say I know how to change with the times! I HAVE -- the guys just aren't doing what I want!

DID YA SEE HOW ROLSTON FAILED HERE? I knew he would because I am a FEMALE VIRGO! You fvcking numb nuts! YOU ARE WRONG! STOP fvckING WITH LINE COMBINATIONS! THAT'S NOT GOING TO MAKE FOR CONSISTENT WELL_ROUNDED PLAYERS! YOU'RE HEAD IS UP YOIUR ASS WITH THIS fvckING LAME LESSON EVERYONE ALREADY UNDERSTANDS!!! IT"S NOT WHAT"S REQUIRED RIGHT NOW! THE TEAM IS ALREADY SUBMISSIVE!!!!!! STOP BEING A MORON AND TRY BEING SUBMISSIVE WITHOUT A FULL SURRENDER YOURSELF YOU STPUID a$$holE! :rant:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 10 January 2011 - 09:27 AM.

I'm here for the party

#54 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

Have the Devils ever had the same coach 5 consecutive years?

Once: Jacques Lemaire from 1993-1994 to 1997-1998.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#55 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

Funny how that same respect so often isn't shown toward Lou on this board.

I wasn't so much down on Jamie bashing JL as I was the reason for it, because it was about his own benching (and worrying about playing all 82 when the team was winning). And yes the fact he went in the tank right after that didn't help either.

Elias is just getting cranky cause the team's losing but he's not 'critiquing' JL because he can't meet a personal goal per se, nor is he witholding effort. I mean this is the same Elias that bit his toungue publicly for the most part when Sutter stripped the captaincy from him and went out to have his best season.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 10 January 2011 - 11:00 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#56 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

I used to love JL and was very happy when we rehired him LAST YEAR, but it is clear that he has not evolved with the new NHL and its emphasis on developing the younger players.

For all his knowledge of the game, he thinks he knows it all and has stopped learning as a result the team lost respect for him last year and tuned him out.

He is a stop gap now because he is already on the payroll.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#57 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,479 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Manta - see you're wrong. That's exactly why Lemaire can't admit that SOME things he does are just not what this teams now.

You all that ascribe to this whole Lemaire is out of touch with the new NHL -- the team is as short sighted and unimaginative as you all are and so I fully understand Lemaire's frustration.

He is SOOO NOT OUT OF TOUCH! Are you even watching? :argh:

THIS is what is royally pissing me off about this whole situation. The answers are VERY VERY hard to see here... and so jackasses spew out a nice pat little answer that SOLVES NOTHING!

and yes you ARE harming the Devils even posting that -- just like (N)Đ„verson and brookes woudl be as well... because the more you lay OLD NHL at lemiares feet as the problem -- the stronger he'll hold fast to his lameass ideas formulated out of THIS PARTICULAR TEAM. You just dont even see or understand how the man thinks do you? Shut the fvck up OK -- that's all -- get a new drum to beat -- go back to whining about Kovalchuk. You're so harmful propagating the bullsh!t so no one can see throught to the heart of the problems. they ARE listeing because they can't see and maybe some dipsh!t named Manta can.

Well guess what! MANTA Can't. I CAN! I can closer than most a$$holes out there. <_< I'm not right and I'm not saying that -- but I'm the right track looking --- OR I can be so far off that it creates some sort of clarity by which one can think No no... that's not it... youknow what it IS? it's THIS and then we have a solution.

but this old sh!t again again again -- you're KILLING the team to STOP YOU ALL! KNOCK IT OFF!!!! Mitco's fiction is good because it IS far off way far off but in correcting it someone will thinking no... he's not like that -- that's the problem he's like THIS -- AH HA! Once chink in the armor identified that no one even thought to consider.... do you get it now? Do you get why fiction and imaginative answers and postings are helpful?

It's OUT OF THE BOX NON-LINEAR THINKING and it solves problems.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 10 January 2011 - 12:19 PM.

I'm here for the party

#58 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

I agree with Manta. Lemaire did a bad job last year. I don't care what his resume is.

Plus, if you're going to blame the disintegration of Lemaire's relationship with Langenbrunner solely on the player, then I think that's disingenuous. The coach never made a move to repair the damage, not that I ever read about. There didn't appear to be any real communication, just actions and reactions and bottled-up anger by the captain.

#59 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,479 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

I agree with Manta. Lemaire did a bad job last year. I don't care what his resume is.

Plus, if you're going to blame the disintegration of Lemaire's relationship with Langenbrunner solely on the player, then I think that's disingenuous. The coach never made a move to repair the damage, not that I ever read about. There didn't appear to be any real communication, just actions and reactions and bottled-up anger by the captain.

It's not the bad job... it's the reason. Tell lemaire he did a bad job. No excuses created for him.

When you say "You did a bad job BECAUSE..." a guy like Lemaire will NOT TURN AROUND AND DO A GOOD JOB. He will argue the "BECAUSE" you gave. It's his weakness and giving him a reason like line changes, stuck in the past -- those all work to create inaction and he'll hunker down and get WORSE! AND WORSE AND WORSE!!!!

See how I am? See how I had one take on things but now the second time around I've learned something about the man.... I've MOVED FORWARD.

Is this working Jacques? is YOUR WAY working? "No because blablablah Jamie blahblabhblah Patty..." No it's not working because it's not the right direction. Change it. end of story.

Patty talking isn't wrong because it's wrong to speak ill of your coach air dirty laundry etc and so forth it's wrong because you're giving lemaire ammunition to excuse his sh!tty decision.

see my point?

Do not hang a man.

Give him rope and see what he does with it.

It might just be the making of him.

or a nice clean death you have no lingering bad taste about.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 10 January 2011 - 03:55 PM.

I'm here for the party

#60 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

I am having a little trouble following you, PK, I must admit.

When I read that a veteran (and a leader) is publicly criticizing a coach, it shows me that the coach doesn't have a whole lot of respect ... and let's face it, Jacques doesn't command a whole lot of respect at this time. He "quit" eight months ago. He's coaching probably because Lou wanted to avoid the humiliation of doing it himself.

Edited by Jerrydevil, 10 January 2011 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users